Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:56 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Shirley, Selden, and Medford... a veritable who's who of where not to go. Medford may look like they might go to Sachem because they built the new high school literally on the border with Pat-Med schools, don't be fooled. Gordon Heights is one of the worst areas in Suffolk. If you think you can find "nice" 400k homes in "good" school districts, knock yourself out. That is the impossible dream of a large portion of LI prospective buyers.
Wait. Are you serious? You don't think you can get a decent 400k home in a good school district on LI?? No you won't get GC or Jericho for that range of course, but there are plenty of decent districts out there that can be had in the 400k range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 04:48 PM

519 posts, read 597,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Wait. Are you serious? You don't think you can get a decent 400k home in a good school district on LI?? No you won't get GC or Jericho for that range of course, but there are plenty of decent districts out there that can be had in the 400k range.
Yup. He's serious...seriously clueless. Or chooses to be ignorant. I easily found more in a quick search. I only posted the gaudiest ones I could find though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker
Long Island mainly just has a high median household income because most people in their 20's can't afford to leave home so they stay home and therefore, that's another earner of the household contributing to the higher income figure.
Are you sure that's your final answer? I don't think you're going to like the outcome of that "guess"...

Old 09-29-2015, 05:03 PM

519 posts, read 597,532 times
Quote:
Shirley, Selden, and Medford... a veritable who's who of where not to go. Medford may look like they might go to Sachem because they built the new high school literally on the border with Pat-Med schools, don't be fooled. Gordon Heights is one of the worst areas in Suffolk. If you think you can find "nice" 400k homes in "good" school districts, knock yourself out. That is the impossible dream of a large portion of LI prospective buyers.

Really? "Most schools" don't even participate? Those rankings are a mainstay of these boards hyping how great LI schools are... yet, most don't participate and you don't like their "criteria". OK. But greatschools is accurate, but ONLY based on a handful of comments? or can we use the ratings on greatschools? Providence HS is rated 9 of 10... compared to a 7 of 10 for the Merrick HS. So let's ignore all the quantitative datapoints and call a school garbage based on a few disgruntled commenters. I assume you're LI educated and realize how ridiculous that sounds.

You're trying too hard to ignore the actual data and continue to live in the past. It's clear that the only one ignoring apples to apples is you.
Just a handful? It was more like 50. Plus all the people who found their review helpful (likely more parents in agreement who didn't post a review). Greatschools is also not a great proxy for how good a school is, but when you see 50, 60 horrible reviews like that, you know there's something very wrong with that school.

Just fyi, there is no "Merrick HS". If you're talking about JFK or Mepham or Calhoun, they are all better than Providence using your apples to apples US News figures.
John F. Kennedy High School in BELLMORE, NY | Best High Schools | US News

Providence had 50% and 82% proficiency in Math and English, respectively, where all Bellmore-Merrick HS's had 95%+. Also AP numbers are not far off but with JFK blowing them away. Now, how were none of these high schools in the Bellmore-Merrick CHSD ranked nationally yet Providence was somehow ranked 500ish?? The answer is similar across a lot of LI districts- they don't have enough economically disadvantaged students to participate. Again, a meaningless "ranking" system. But you could go ahead and pretend the ranks really mean something if it makes you feel better .

Old 09-30-2015, 12:00 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,181 times
I don't want to leave but eventually may be given no choice. Services I depend on keep getting cut and I am forced to live in a community full of illegals. And the open space and Pine Barrens I love are being destroyed all over LI.
If you are rich Long Island can be great, since you can afford a home in a nice area without illegals, get good trains, and access to most of the island. But for the rest of us who have to deal with these invaders being dumped in our communities, our transportation being cut, we aren't enjoying LI so much.
I have family here, which is part of the reason I still remain. However I am getting close to reaching my breaking point. The Long Island I grew up with and have fond memories of is slowly withering away. Our transportation is getting worse, little open space is being preserved, and the quality of life is getting worse. It is a shame that we cannot seem to get our Government to serve us, instead they serve themselves. There are better places to live, esp for those of us who aren't rich.
It doesn't have to be this way Long Island. Get housing costs under control, preserve what open space and woods we have left, and improve our transportation network. And close the door to the illegals, shut down where they live, give them nothing but a one way ticket out. Caught hiring them and face years in jail. Things would turn around, trust me!

Last edited by Johninwestbury; 09-30-2015 at 01:07 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
Quote:
"decent", "good"... Like I said, this is the holy grail for anyone shopping RE. Their subjective opinion on what is decent and what is good.

As I've stated countless times, you may consider that there are "plenty" of options and that's fine. I don't. The value just isn't there anymore... it used to be, sure - but it's not anymore. In my opinion, the 400k today is not nearly worth what you get. Obviously, a current mortgage holder on LI would feel differently based on their own personal investment / debt load.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:23 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Just a handful? It was more like 50. Plus all the people who found their review helpful (likely more parents in agreement who didn't post a review). Greatschools is also not a great proxy for how good a school is, but when you see 50, 60 horrible reviews like that, you know there's something very wrong with that school.

Just fyi, there is no "Merrick HS". If you're talking about JFK or Mepham or Calhoun, they are all better than Providence using your apples to apples US News figures.
John F. Kennedy High School in BELLMORE, NY | Best High Schools | US News

Providence had 50% and 82% proficiency in Math and English, respectively, where all Bellmore-Merrick HS's had 95%+. Also AP numbers are not far off but with JFK blowing them away. Now, how were none of these high schools in the Bellmore-Merrick CHSD ranked nationally yet Providence was somehow ranked 500ish?? The answer is similar across a lot of LI districts- they don't have enough economically disadvantaged students to participate. Again, a meaningless "ranking" system. But you could go ahead and pretend the ranks really mean something if it makes you feel better .
You're funny... all the 4 and 5 star reviews get lumped in to fill your narrative. Stating it's 60 "horrible reviews" (out of a total of 72) shows exactly how you operate in your own little bubble.

I realize there's no Merrick HS, but the HS didn't make the rankings. But now you're quoting the US News stats... you like them now?

Then you don't like them again because there's not enough poor kids on LI? Yet, plenty of affluent LI towns appear on the rankings list - Roslyn, Garden City, Cold Spring Harbor, Jericho. I can go on... I can't keep up with your reasoning because you're all over the place. Heck, I'm not even sure where you cherry picked the random proficiency numbers like that matters yet the rankings don't. You're in some circular logic loop.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
"decent", "good"... Like I said, this is the holy grail for anyone shopping RE. Their subjective opinion on what is decent and what is good.

As I've stated countless times, you may consider that there are "plenty" of options and that's fine. I don't. The value just isn't there anymore... it used to be, sure - but it's not anymore. In my opinion, the 400k today is not nearly worth what you get. Obviously, a current mortgage holder on LI would feel differently based on their own personal investment / debt load.
And that is your subjective opinion which you are entitled to. But to imply in your last post that 400k will only get you a lower performing school district like Middle Country, or Pat Med etc. is complete and total nonsense.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:36 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times
Quote:
And that is your subjective opinion which you are entitled to. But to imply in your last post that 400k will only get you a lower performing school district like Middle Country, or Pat Med etc. is complete and total nonsense.
They aren't plenty full and will be a cape or ranch on a small lot, Bethpage ( good amount) , Plainview, Massapequa (not zoned for Amityville), Commack and parts of Melville and Deer park that are zoned for Half Hollow Hills all have homes for 400k or less.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Get housing costs under control, preserve what open space and woods we have left, and improve our transportation network. And close the door to the illegals, shut down where they live, give them nothing but a one way ticket out. Caught hiring them and face years in jail. Things would turn around, trust me!
Housing costs are high because school taxes make up over 50% of the tax bill that drives people's mortgage payments up. Lower those costs to make everything more affordable and you may get more of the undesirables (not just illegals) you hate so much moving in around you. It's not going to work as simply as you think.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
They aren't plenty full and will be a cape or ranch on a small lot, Bethpage ( good amount) , Plainview, Massapequa (not zoned for Amityville), Commack and parts of Melville and Deer park that are zoned for Half Hollow Hills all have homes for 400k or less.
Smithtown, Wantagh, Plainedge, Huntington, Babylon all had houses in the 400k range in good school districts from a quick search in addition to what you posted. Im sure there are a ton more in other areas. No one said you were going to get a shiny new plastic McMansion for that price, but you aren't getting a shack either, some areas (particularly suffolk) you will obviously get more for 400k than others. Regardless, you are getting into a well performing district for 400k. My argument was simply implying that at 400k you were looking at bad to lower performing districts is nonsense. And it is.

Last edited by peconic117; 09-30-2015 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island