Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:51 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
That is so not the same as people on LI saying LI salaries are higher. Just because we live here, it doesn't mean we all work here and to compare our salaries from LI jobs.
Most work on LI since only about 20% of the LI working population commute into NYC for work.

Long Island Labor Force 2013
Nassau 697,700
Suffolk 792,800
Long Island 1,490,500

For the years 2011 through 2013, an average of 279,091 workers making their home on
Long Island traveled daily to jobs in one of the five boroughs of New York City. Nassau
residents constituted 199,573 of the total, while Suffolk residents accounted for 79,518.

Journey to Work Average Daily Work Trips 2011-2013 Long Island and New York City
From To
County Bronx Manhattan Staten Island Brooklyn Queens Total
Nassau 6,488 95,028 1,121 27,299 69,637 199,573
Suffolk 3,472 40,411 572 11,673 23,390 79,518
LI Total 9,960 135,439 1,693 38,972 93,027 279,091

% of Labor Force Commuting to New York City 2013
Nassau 28.6
Suffolk 10.0
Long Island 18.7

Quote:
What's difficult to understand? NYC and the hundreds of thousands who commute there from LI everyday means household income here can be higher. Nobody said LI jobs pay more than other suburbs.
Yes, they do. Constantly, something to the effect, "I can't move to city X because I don't want to take a 50% pay cut."

The 20% that do commute to NYC, especially to Manhattan, is driving up the cost of living for the other 80% since they earn a higher average salary.

Total Wages Total Wages and % of Wages and
and Salaries Income Salaries Income Salaries Income from . from NYC Commuters Commuters
County
Nassau $34,729,288,000 $19,772,694,975 56.9%
Suffolk $35,472,296,000 $7,592,219,604 21.4%
Long Island $70,201,584,000 $27,364,914,579 39.0%

Quote:
BTW, 14% of Nassau is still 182,000 people. That's a lot of households in Nassau alone. The remaining 86% who don't need a NYC salary to be in Nassau... there are many conclusions you may arrive at from that, none of which are negative for being here.
BTW that is 14% is just the percentage of the Nassau County workforce (95,028) that commute to Manhattan only for higher pay, not the total population of Nassau County or the total number of commuters to any one of the 5 boroughs.

Again, the 28% of the Nassau County work force that commute into anywhere in NYC bring in 56.9% of the wages in the county, making it more expensive for the other 72% of Nassau County wage earners who do not commute and hold lower paying Nassau County jobs.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. Nassau and Suffolk county residents who do not commute (the majority of LI residents) do not make as much money as their commuting counterparts. Their cost of living is being driven up by the smaller percentage of those who earn an NYC salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 02:27 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
The point of my post went over your head. You fired the "subjective" school are garbage comment first. There are dozens of other variables that can be looked at if someone really wanted to. And there's a reason it's more expensive here. (You can get even more for your money in Arkansas, North Dakota and Mississippi). The fact that you and Memorymaker spent lots of time researching the houses I posted and the taxes/water/hoa fees! of the other houses, shows just how bitter you guys are. As you said, there can't be an apples to apples comparison. I thought that posting "a suburb of NY on LI" would've been a dead giveaway...
maybe we need to rehash what happened... or you could look back and read it yourself. You attempted to swoop in with your "#threadend" pictures insinuating the answer was new construction in Shirley. I pointed out it was a joke - because it is. Unless you've suffered a head injury, that's what matters the most in a home purchase. You couldn't name a single variable (in your supposed dozens of them) that came even remotely close to mattering as much as the schools where the house is. That's what drives the value of the house.

Once again... typing this slowly in hopes you'll read it slowly and process it. The schools are not subjective, we can see ranking, ratings, etc. We know William Floyd schools are terrible. The schools you're getting with the house are apples to apples comparison.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post

Yes, they do. Constantly, something to the effect, "I can't move to city X because I don't want to take a 50% pay cut."

It's true - see it all the time as one of the top reasons quoted to not leave LI. If they actually researched it, they'd be shocked. They'd be doubly shocked to learn people are often making more than the NYC commuters. It's actually quite funny.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:02 PM

225 posts, read 317,905 times
When people go why do they go and where do they go? What are the reasons to go and are there other peopel that have other things happen that make them go? What is that like? Is it more people that go from suffolk county, ny?

Old 09-28-2015, 05:22 PM

519 posts, read 597,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
maybe we need to rehash what happened... or you could look back and read it yourself. You attempted to swoop in with your "#threadend" pictures insinuating the answer was new construction in Shirley. I pointed out it was a joke - because it is. Unless you've suffered a head injury, that's what matters the most in a home purchase. You couldn't name a single variable (in your supposed dozens of them) that came even remotely close to mattering as much as the schools where the house is. That's what drives the value of the house.

Once again... typing this slowly in hopes you'll read it slowly and process it. The schools are not subjective, we can see ranking, ratings, etc. We know William Floyd schools are terrible. The schools you're getting with the house are apples to apples comparison.
First off, those homes were definitely NOT in Shirley. I believe Selden or Medford (one might've been in Sachem SD, Connetquot and the onther in pat med). I can find other $400k homes that are nice and in good school districts if you'd really like me to.

Second, US News is not apples to apples because most schools don't even participate in it. Even if they do participate, the rankings are very questionable/suspect because of the criteria they use. I wouldn't judge a school based on that list. It's more for entertainment purposes than anything to take seriously.

Third, the school you quoted as top 500 is absolute garbage.

http://www.greatschools.org/north-ca...-High/reviews/

look at what the parents say about it...again, Memorymaker knows nothing about that SD. I bet that's just the tip of the iceberg. You usually know what you're getting with most LI school districts - stable school districts (just one of the many variables). Also, that North Merrick house is in a very good district ( I believe Bellmore-Merrick CHSD).

It's funny that it's only apples when you want it to be. I wouldn't be interested in that NC house even if it was $100k, especially after reading the reviews. You'd have to PAY ME to live in the AZ house!

Old 09-29-2015, 10:06 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times
Quote:
Most work on LI since only about 20% of the LI working population commute into NYC for work.
Yet the people on this forum act as if I'm the only person on Long Island who doesn't commute to the city.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:11 AM

20,036 posts, read 20,839,727 times
I don't commute to the city.
Screw that.
I won't even go past the Nassau/Queens border.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:45 AM

519 posts, read 597,532 times
Quote:

Long Island Labor Force 2013
Nassau 697,700
Suffolk 792,800
Long Island 1,490,500

For the years 2011 through 2013, an average of 279,091 workers making their home on
Long Island traveled daily to jobs in one of the five boroughs of New York City. Nassau
residents constituted 199,573 of the total, while Suffolk residents accounted for 79,518.

Journey to Work Average Daily Work Trips 2011-2013 Long Island and New York City
From To
County Bronx Manhattan Staten Island Brooklyn Queens Total
Nassau 6,488 95,028 1,121 27,299 69,637 199,573
Suffolk 3,472 40,411 572 11,673 23,390 79,518
LI Total 9,960 135,439 1,693 38,972 93,027 279,091

% of Labor Force Commuting to New York City 2013
Nassau 28.6
Suffolk 10.0
Long Island 18.7

The 20% that do commute to NYC, especially to Manhattan, is driving up the cost of living for the other 80% since they earn a higher average salary.

Total Wages Total Wages and % of Wages and
and Salaries Income Salaries Income Salaries Income from . from NYC Commuters Commuters
County
Nassau $34,729,288,000 $19,772,694,975 56.9%
Suffolk $35,472,296,000 $7,592,219,604 21.4%
Long Island $70,201,584,000 $27,364,914,579 39.0%

BTW that is 14% is just the percentage of the Nassau County workforce (95,028) that commute to Manhattan only for higher pay, not the total population of Nassau County or the total number of commuters to any one of the 5 boroughs.

Again, the 28% of the Nassau County work force that commute into anywhere in NYC bring in 56.9% of the wages in the county, making it more expensive for the other 72% of Nassau County wage earners who do not commute and hold lower paying Nassau County jobs.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. Nassau and Suffolk county residents who do not commute (the majority of LI residents) do not make as much money as their commuting counterparts. Their cost of living is being driven up by the smaller percentage of those who earn an NYC salary.
What you're failing to understand is the higher salaries in the NY Metro area contribute to higher salaries for everyone else (business owners, professionals, nurses, cops, teachers, most professions). If that wasn't true, the median incomes for Nassau/Suffolk would be much lower, since as you stated, most people don't commute. Instead median incomes are double the US average. I'd say that's a pretty healthy advantage to living and working here; an advantage ignored by you and MikeyKid.

One other point- I don't think anyone is claiming "Not everyone wants to leave Hempstead or Wyandanch." If you take out the 10-15% of bad areas, the percentage who commute to NYC in middle & upper middle class areas is quite a bit higher than 20% or 28% (especially in Nassau). I'd estimate more like 40% in a town like Merrick or RVC.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:07 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,869 times
Long Island mainly just has a high median household income because most people in their 20's can't afford to leave home so they stay home and therefore, that's another earner of the household contributing to the higher income figure.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
First off, those homes were definitely NOT in Shirley. I believe Selden or Medford (one might've been in Sachem SD, Connetquot and the onther in pat med). I can find other $400k homes that are nice and in good school districts if you'd really like me to.

Second, US News is not apples to apples because most schools don't even participate in it. Even if they do participate, the rankings are very questionable/suspect because of the criteria they use. I wouldn't judge a school based on that list. It's more for entertainment purposes than anything to take seriously.

Third, the school you quoted as top 500 is absolute garbage.

Providence High - Charlotte, North carolina - NC - School reviews

look at what the parents say about it...again, Memorymaker knows nothing about that SD. I bet that's just the tip of the iceberg. You usually know what you're getting with most LI school districts - stable school districts (just one of the many variables). Also, that North Merrick house is in a very good district ( I believe Bellmore-Merrick CHSD).

It's funny that it's only apples when you want it to be. I wouldn't be interested in that NC house even if it was $100k, especially after reading the reviews. You'd have to PAY ME to live in the AZ house!
Shirley, Selden, and Medford... a veritable who's who of where not to go. Medford may look like they might go to Sachem because they built the new high school literally on the border with Pat-Med schools, don't be fooled. Gordon Heights is one of the worst areas in Suffolk. If you think you can find "nice" 400k homes in "good" school districts, knock yourself out. That is the impossible dream of a large portion of LI prospective buyers.

Really? "Most schools" don't even participate? Those rankings are a mainstay of these boards hyping how great LI schools are... yet, most don't participate and you don't like their "criteria". OK. But greatschools is accurate, but ONLY based on a handful of comments? or can we use the ratings on greatschools? Providence HS is rated 9 of 10... compared to a 7 of 10 for the Merrick HS. So let's ignore all the quantitative datapoints and call a school garbage based on a few disgruntled commenters. I assume you're LI educated and realize how ridiculous that sounds.

You're trying too hard to ignore the actual data and continue to live in the past. It's clear that the only one ignoring apples to apples is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island