Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:44 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times

Advertisements

Also try Stony Brook & Pt. Jefferson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 AM

44 posts, read 206,099 times
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Hull View Post
Glad2behere,

Thank you. We dont have a commute so thats not an issue. We want to pay as little as we can in taxes, who doesnt. We currently pay $27,000. So we are looking to get much away from that number. We really want a community with a community center within the community. Great schools and a whole sense of community.
I hope you don't mind my asking, but where do you live, that you pay $27K in taxes. I feel like I am living under a rock.
You can answer me via private message. I'm just really curious.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,997 times
I'm generally a fan of the north shore but it sounds to me like you'd do very well in Sayville. You'd get a great house in your range & while some of the north shore communities mentioned are beautiful they really don't have the genuine sense of community and family activities Sayville has.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:53 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Northport or Port Jefferson. Or if you want a gated community ; try Summerfield at Holtsville

dorothy
The Three Village Club in Setauket (off of Route 347) is a gated community with a Community Center. It's in the Three Village School district, the taxes in there are closer to the $15K range. There is one rather notable resident, and another very well known comedian bought a home for his parents in there in September.

MLSLI.com - Find a Home
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Another option would be to look into Poquott.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:42 PM

70 posts, read 272,473 times
Echo18

Welocme to Oyster Bay Cove/Syosset

Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM

OkayDorothy,

Thank you looks interesting.
Thanky you

Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The Three Village Club in Setauket (off of Route 347) is a gated community with a Community Center. It's in the Three Village School district, the taxes in there are closer to the $15K range. There is one rather notable resident, and another very well known comedian bought a home for his parents in there in September.

MLSLI.com - Find a Home
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Another option would be to look into Poquott.
I love these!!!! If it wasn't so far, I would look there!

Old 03-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I love these!!!! If it wasn't so far, I would look there!
Of the two, the less expensive one is better situated (further from 347 - less noise during rush hours) and is decorated a little more to my liking. Plus I love the sunroom/atrium!

Old 03-12-2008, 02:02 PM

OhBeeHave,

I agree. I like the one you like too. And I agree the sunroom is a plus. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe we will take a drive on Sunday. I see they have an open house. Something that concerns me is the rating and the comments of the High School??? Was not that favorable. When you have a chance can you tell me which High School so that I can double check my information. I have found that pretty much all elementary schools have been good in my research, Middle schools & High Schools can be tricky. Funny thing is the Middle school has a good rating.
Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey Hull View Post
OhBeeHave,

I agree. I like the one you like too. And I agree the sunroom is a plus. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe we will take a drive on Sunday. I see they have an open house. Something that concerns me is the rating and the comments of the High School??? Was not that favorable. When you have a chance can you tell me which High School so that I can double check my information. I have found that pretty much all elementary schools have been good in my research, Middle schools & High Schools can be tricky. Funny thing is the Middle school has a good rating.
Thanks again for your help.
My friends moved from Queens to the 3V Club and they LOVE it. There are holiday parties for the families, a Christmas party and parade, and Halloween is great fun there. (The one celebrity I mentioned who lives there decorates his house intensely!) There are many families with young children.

It's worth taking the drive. If you do, make sure to check out Poquott as well. Many young families, it's an incorporated village with it's own amenities. There's old Poquott (smaller, older homes) and new Poquott - larger homes similar to the 3V Club houses.

The Three Village School district is one of the preferred districts on LI. Most people move here forthe schools. There is no middle school, but 2 Junior HS. The district is one of a handful in NYS which is still using the elementary K-6, JrHS 7-9, Sr HS 10-12, configuration. The high school is Ward Melville, I am not sure whether the 3V club children go to Gelinas or Murphy Jr HS. (Gut feeling is Gelinas.) I believe the children attend Nassakegue Elementary(pardon the spelling -- I know it's wrong)

I have two children in the district and found that the one who needed early reading intervention received it promptly. One child is in the HS, the other in Setauket Elementary. The junior highs have a program in place where first year students are monitored by there teachers and if there are any emerging problems, parents are consulted immediately. It proved to be a bonus for my oldest. After one meeting with the teachers, we identified his problem and with some extra help from the teacher, he was on his way to excellent grades. He's consistently honor or high honor roll.

Some folks might tell you that the district caters to those who do very well or those who do poorly. I have found it caters to those who open their mouths if there is a problem. There are many children whose parents are professionals: doctors, university professors, BNL scientists, attorneys, etc. These parents tend to instill a strong emphasis on education in their children. You will see these children doing very well, you will see that sometimes the parents have had a hand in that. Then again it's that way in many districts.

The district is one of the larger ones on LI, so bear that in mind when making comparisons. There is a large mix of people socially and economically.

Where were you reading the ratings? You've piqued my interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island