Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:40 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,787,108 times

Advertisements

I plan to vote Yes for all the reasons Andrea stated in her post. There is a lot of fear mongering by the "No" camp which I feel is completely unsubstantiated. Here are some hard facts:

http://www.rockinst.org/observations...-09_galie.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 08:07 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I plan to vote Yes for all the reasons Andrea stated in her post. There is a lot of fear mongering by the "No" camp which I feel is completely unsubstantiated. Here are some hard facts:

Why New York Needs a Constitutional Convention
Interesting. Reading that link leads me towards a No, not a yes.

This one trick pony argument that a Con Con is only about public employee benefits is ridiculous and proves that no one has enough of a clue what they REALLY want from an amended constitution. Contracts are binding. No convention will remove pensions or health benefits and scapegoating the whole state with that based on LI's insane salaries and benefits is foolish and backwards. LI corruption is our own making, not Albany's. We send a disproportionate number of indicted officials to do our bidding then wonder why we get hosed. Now you want to RE-ELECT and pay those same doofuses $79k to go play special interest bingo in Albany with our laws?! In THIS political climate?!?! Just plain idiotic.

If something really matters to you, get your dumb elected hack to bring an amendment and get the votes. That's the smarter play. For the .25% reduction in some hacks pension that doesn't affect you at all, you'll likely get pollution, corporate welfare, hidden taxes and fees, reduced services and another 20 years of complaining but doing nothing about it. Guarantee there will be a massive push to roll back the 2% tax cap which will kill LI'ers on school taxes again, pensions completely irregardless. Didn't think about THAT, did ya?! 17 bills already on the table to kill the tax cap. A chaotic con con isn't the best remedy for our problems, it's just another train for bandwagoneers to jump on, without a clue where it's going...and a chance for more political hacks to get paid, coming and going and us to find "surprises" we are sure we didn't vote for but are paying for.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:17 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,083 times
The hysteria from the public sector regarding the CC has convinced me: vote yes. Apparently it puts their lush perks and bennies in some jeopardy.

This may be NY's last chance to save itself from financial hemorrhage.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The hysteria from the public sector regarding the CC has convinced me: vote yes. Apparently it puts their lush perks and bennies in some jeopardy.

This may be NY's last chance to save itself from financial hemorrhage.
It puts a lot of things in jeopardy. Some we like, some we don't. That's the point people seem to be missing. They think some superhero from the Nassau legislative ranks is going to go to Albany and slay collective bargaining (which helps both sides, by the way...unless you like strikes) and end pensions. It's goofy thinking at best. Stupid at worst.

Even the posts in here show nothing but division. People really have no clue that 98% of the constitution is amazing and is the bedrock of our state, one we all pretty much admit to loving and caring about...at least enough to live here voluntarily. Anyone want to discuss Foundation Aid? Fracking?

So how about some ACTUAL, TARGETED ideas of what to change? Wouldn't THAT be the first order of business. Not YES or NO, but what and why and who benefits and how much does it cost? Some want clean water. Some say that will make more legislation. Who's right? Are we 'anti water?" No, it's politics. One issue. There will be hundreds, even thousands more like it.

I don't know a single citizen (including lawyer friends) who have even the most rudimentary understanding of the State constitution...yet no one has a problem chiming in with their recommendations on how to fix it. Priceless. What could go wrong! lmfao

Frankly, unless I am elected delegate, I wouldn't trust the process at all! lmfao! Sadly though, I have to make a living to survive on LI and won't have the time and $ to go play house in Albany for 6 months. You know who does? The same useless bozos we have now.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:06 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,809 times
Fear mongering... it needs to happen, but I guess we'll see who can create the best worst scenario to scare the voters. Will be interesting to watch. Every civil servant on my FB feed implores no votes like their lives depend on it.

BTW - I'm only saying it needs to happen in the context that it will be done right. There's a risk that it could be done wrong, but that argument is ludicrous to me. You don't avoid necessary surgery because you may not wake up from the anesthesia.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:15 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times
The NYS Constitution is available online to read before casting a vote. It is a mere 45 pages. It would behoove us to read it before making a decsion as to vote yea or nay to con-con.
https://www.dos.ny.gov/info/pdfs/Constitution.pdf

Old 10-24-2017, 09:30 AM

252 posts, read 420,400 times
I'm voting YES because the Teacher's Union tells me to vote No. That is the only reason.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:37 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,739,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Frankly, unless I am elected delegate, I wouldn't trust the process at all! lmfao! Sadly though, I have to make a living to survive on LI and won't have the time and $ to go play house in Albany for 6 months. You know who does? The same useless bozos we have now.
I would like to know what the qualifications would be to run as a con-con delegate, should this get the go ahead. If I qualified, I would run in a heartbeat.

I would like to see term limits for state politicians from the governor on down. NYS's longest-serving senator, Hugh Farley, served for 40 years from 1976 until his retirement at 83 in 2016. How can we count on any change if voters are complacent and allow the same. Locally, we have Flanagan, a career politician who took his father's seat almost straight out of law school.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
I'm voting YES because the Teacher's Union tells me to vote No. That is the only reason.
Exactly. There's been a massive ad spend, a tipoff they're deathly afraid of it.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman140 View Post
I actually find this valid in most cases! They are the most powerful lobby in the state, and on LI they have mini armies of local teacher groups below NYSUT that have their own agendas.

If that's the case, why can't anyone just mention the words "Triborough Agreement" or "Taylor Laws?" That might require some actual reading. That is where the rubber meets the road. Of course, no one touches it by amendment, just like it won't get resolved by convention. It won't be resolved until political and public will MATCH and a climate of bipartisan cooperation exists. Anyone catching a whiff of that?! Not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island