Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 09:16 PM

85 posts, read 433,295 times

Advertisements

we were looking in dix hills, but somehow ended looking at a house at the border of commack and smithtown. how is that area and schools in smithtown? would it be a good idea to commute an extra fifteen minutes and move into smithtown instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Smithtown is a great area to live in. Its rated as one of the best "large" school districts on Long Island. Taxes are high but you get what you pay for. Dix Hills taxes are cheap either. I'm in Kings Park which is a hamlet of Smithtown and love it.

Town government moves like molasses but I kinda like it that way & is the reason that Smithtown has kept its appeal and "country" like feel. Good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Commack

Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
... somehow ended looking at a house at the border of commack and smithtown.

For those who may not be familiar with Commack:

Commack is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the southeast part of the Town of Huntington and partly in the southwest part of the Town of Smithtown, in the northwest part of Suffolk County, along the Smithtown/Islip town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Huntington and the Town of Smithtown is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of East Northport in the Town of Huntington, and the Hamlet of Fort Salonga and the Hamlet of Kings Park in the Town of Smithtown; on the east by the Hamlet of Smithtown and the Hamlet of Hauppauge in the Town of Smithtown; on the south by the Hamlet of Brentwood in the Town of Islip (the Smithtown/Islip town line) and the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Dix Hills and the Hamlet of Elwood in the Town of Huntington.

The Hamlet of Commack has a different border than does the "Commack, NY 11725" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Commack): places that have a "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Commack are in the Hamlet of Elwood in the Town of Huntington and in the Hamlet of Smithtown in the Town of Smithtown.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM

217 posts, read 961,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snforstuff View Post
we were looking in dix hills, but somehow ended looking at a house at the border of commack and smithtown. how is that area and schools in smithtown? would it be a good idea to commute an extra fifteen minutes and move into smithtown instead?
Depends on your price range and commute. Smithtown is a nice area with many housing styles/options, real estate taxes are moderate-high. In my opinion, depending if you have kids the schools, both are good areas. I grew up in Dix Hills went to HHH schools. HHH schools feature large campuses, class size, no town center/downtown, more diversity, higher rates of drug related problems. (read the half hollow hills paper) Unfriendly/reclusive neighbors depending what area of Dix Hills, usually ranks high in scores/performance. Smithtown schools- large district too, little diversity, better athletics, friendlier neighbors, has downtown area, more of family area, not as snobby as Dix Hills. Just from my experience. Lived in Dix Hills 1994-2001. Also if you decide on Dix Hills, make sure your house is more than one mile of the Expressway, or you will hear the hum of rush hour traffic daily.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Smithtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagg View Post
Smithtown is a nice area ...

For those who may not be familiar with Smithtown:

Smithtown is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center part of the Town of Smithtown, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Smithtown in the Town of Smithtown is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Kings Park and the Village of Nissequogue; on the east by the Village of Head of the Harbor, the Hamlet of St. James, the Village of the Branch and the Hamlet of Nesconset; on the south by the Hamlet of Hauppauge and the Hamlet of Commack; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Commack and the Hamlet of Kings Park.

The Hamlet of Smithtown has a different border than does the "Smithtown, NY 11787" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Smithtown, NY 11787" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Smithtown and a place can have other than a "Smithtown, NY 11787" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Smithtown): places that have a "Smithtown, NY 11787" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Smithtown are in the Village of the Branch, the Village of Nissequogue, the Hamlet of St. James and the Hamlet of Nesconset; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Smithtown that have a "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): http://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-25-2008, 03:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I grew up in Smithtown (up until just a few years ago). I don't think I would have grown up in any other area. The schools are top-notch. I was in special ed my entire life but still managed to get my BA degree and now I'm a teacher. I don't think many school districts would have helped me overcome my disabilities as much as Smithtown did.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:03 PM

127 posts, read 747,640 times
Rachel-
As a teacher in Smithtown, that is certainly nice to hear. Congratulations to you and wishes for continued success.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snad5393 View Post
Rachel-
As a teacher in Smithtown, that is certainly nice to hear. Congratulations to you and wishes for continued success.

What school do you teach in? I wonder if I remember you, lol. You can message me if you don't feel like saying it here.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Smithtown is a great area to live in. Its rated as one of the best "large" school districts on Long Island. Taxes are high but you get what you pay for. Dix Hills taxes are cheap either. I'm in Kings Park which is a hamlet of Smithtown and love it.

Town government moves like molasses but I kinda like it that way & is the reason that Smithtown has kept its appeal and "country" like feel. Good luck!
Country-like feel because of town government? That's a joke. For the 32 years that Pat Vecchio has run Smithtown I've seen nothing but development and right now 95% of Smithtown is developed. Every last shred of open space is having some form of structure squeezed onto it. I've lived in Smithtown my entire life (35 years) and I still love it, but it's being destroyed, IMO, by this town gov't. Sorry about the rant, I just get upset when people who don't deserve credit get some.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:11 PM

27 posts, read 84,845 times
We live in St. James which is the town North and east of Smithtown. We love it here. While we eventually want to live on the water which may land us on the South Shore because of prohibitive North Shore waterfront prices and lack of a backyard dock, this town has everything a family could want. Great schools, small-town feel, an actual 'town' on main street. Beautiful resident Beaches (short and long beach), historical landmarks (st. james general store, brush barn, etc.). It has tons of amentities but still feels rural. We are North of 25a. When people come to visit they always say "I don't feel like I'm on Long Island" Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island