Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 9,615 times

Advertisements

Moving from FL. to Smithtown any insight would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Like how...

I think you should do it.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:20 PM

46 posts, read 209,282 times
Smithtown has good schools, tons of stores and a mall, high taxes (although all of Long Island has that), nearby beaches, golf, and low crime. I would prefer it over Florida, but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:19 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
I've been living on Long Island for 12 years and I would say that Smithtown is one of the better towns that's not located on any of the shores. Be sure to visit Maureen's. Excellent brunch there.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:41 AM

5,521 posts, read 7,112,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I've been living on Long Island for 12 years and I would say that Smithtown is one of the better towns that's not located on any of the shores. Be sure to visit Maureen's. Excellent brunch there.

Good luck!
May I correct you? Smithtown is on the North Shore of Long Island and has beautiful beaches. There's Long Beach, Short Beach, Little Africa, and Smithtown Bay. Nissoquogue River also runs through Smithtown.

Maureens Kitchen I have to agree has awesome food (great breakfast)

Smithtown is bordered by other nice areas the whole township is top notch.
In addition to beaches, parks, and excellent restaurants we have wonderful shopping and it's only getting better.
Smithhaven Mall is expanding and now were getting Lowes, Wholefoods, and LA Fitness health club in addition to the plethora of other great stores.
Macy's, Costco, JC Penney etc.

Lots of areas in Smithtown is zoned for horse property as Blydenburg Park is right there.

Also if you plan on commuting Smithtown has easy access to all major highways, parkways and the LIE.

Anything else you need to know just ask. Born and raised and lived here my whole life. 43 years.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:52 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
May I correct you? Smithtown is on the North Shore of Long Island and has beautiful beaches. There's Long Beach, Short Beach, Little Africa, and Smithtown Bay. Nissoquogue River also runs through Smithtown.
My apologies. Smithtown is a North Shore town. A very nice one. (well, most of the shore towns usually are)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithto...29%2C_New_York

Old 01-08-2007, 11:00 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,645 times
Default Smithtown areas

NYTom is right about Smithtown's northern end. However, someone from out of area needs to be aware that "Smithtown" can mean 2 different things.

There's the village (business area) of Smithtown which runs along Rte 25 (Jericho Turnpike). The center of town is Jericho Tpke and Route 111.

Then there is the Town (township) of Smithtown which is quite large, and covers not only the village of Smithtown but a number of surrounding communities.

The pricier areas just north of the village of Smithtown are Head of the Harbor and Nissequogue. Those are the ones heading up toward the beaches. Both of those are "incorporated villages" and are minimum 2-acre zoned. They also impose their own property tax, which is computed at a percentage of whatever the Town of Smithtown taxes are for that property. It used to be 11% in Nissequogue but that was in the mid 1990s. Don't know what they are nowadays.

Houses are expensive in Head of the Harbor and Nissequogue but can be very beautiful. Both villages have their own small police force and I know that Nissequogue at least has its own fire dept. I believe at least some northern parts of those villages may still be on well water (no public mains) -- not sure if that's been changed yet.

St. James, which is north of the village of Smithtown but south of H of H and Nisseq., might be a good place to look also. It is convenient to everything but not smack in the middle of commuter chaos. Also, try looking at areas of Smithtown (actuallly Hauppague I think) that are north of Rte 347 but south of Jericho Tpke.

Oh and if you do take a ride up Moriches Road to check out those beaches, watch your speed!! The HofH and Nisseq. cops just love to hide behind curves and trees and bust you for going over the limit which is often just 40mph in many places. They will ticket you and it will not be cheap! Trust me, you will not see that little police jeep until it is too late...

Old 01-14-2007, 09:29 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
Oh and if you do take a ride up Moriches Road to check out those beaches, watch your speed!! The HofH and Nisseq. cops just love to hide behind curves and trees and bust you for going over the limit which is often just 40mph in many places. They will ticket you and it will not be cheap! Trust me, you will not see that little police jeep until it is too late...
I just saw a few of them right by Short Beach the other day when we had the 70 degrees! Thank goodness I wasn't speeding. I don't know who would speed there anyway; it's one of the hardest roads to drive on.

Anyway...I've lived here in Smithtown almost my whole life (came from Queens when I was 3. My parents wanted to get a bigger house for my sister and I). They love it here. We had to move to Selden for a year and a half, and I REALLY missed Smithtown. Compared to other areas of Long Island, I feel like it has a much bigger community feel. The town organizes places to go (through the library, and through other places I'm sure), so there's always somewhere to go visit. The only thing I would complain about is the traffic on 25A. During the day and evening hours, it takes forever to get places and the people drive crazy. But then again, it's like that mostly everywhere else on the island.

I recommend moving here. There's great schools with really good test scores, lots of things to do, great restaurants, etc. Although I love Smithtown, it's time for a change for me and I'll be moving to the suburbs of Las Vegas in a few years. I love the southwest. Getting kind of tired of the northeast.

Good luck.

Old 01-15-2007, 01:37 PM

3 posts, read 15,317 times
Default Smithtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needtodecide View Post
Moving from FL. to Smithtown any insight would help.
Hi
I used to live in smithtown , I recently retired from the city of NY & like every one wanted to relocate in the south , Boy am I sorry I did & would do another 20 years in city service if I would get the chance to live in Smithtown again,,,,,,,Do it
John

Old 01-15-2007, 06:04 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
Default smithtown

If you can afford the real estate, Smithtown is wonderful! Sometimes it is better to rent for a while in a superior school district like Smithtown than it would be to buy in a less attractive district. I grew up in Smithtown, now reside in Patchogue, i would give anything to be able to sell my house here and if it ment renting until I could come up with a larger down payment I would. Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island