Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 02:35 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sized Kahuna View Post
Amazon Prime offers same day delivery on quite a few items. I've ordered plenty of items in the AM and had them delivered in the PM...FREE. The shipping is rolled into the seller's cost when not Amazon, and they use their own shipping when you buy from their warehouses. The cost is a wash. Cashiers vs Delivery drivers... the drivers are mostly part-timers using their own vehicles and are probably cheaper overall.
No doubt the consumer wins in terms of price, convenience, and inventory when it comes to Amazon. That is why Bezos is a Billionaire.

(My point was that Walmart and Target are fighting back with one advantage they have - more physical locations. They figure some of the Amazon shoppers love the low price and simple online ordering...but might prefer (or at least not mind) zipping to a store themselves for a curbside pickup. Not all, not every product, not everywhere, and not all the time of course. And Walmart and Target see a cost savings (home delivery) as part of that strategy.

Walmart is great at the low-price game - so if they can match Amazon's website convenience, beat them at the prices, and compete via a curbside pickup angle they see a path to victory. Of course it has meant a huge (and VERY expensive) ongoing ramp-up in their on-line presence - and because those two company's in particular aren't highly leveraged they can afford it. Groceries (especially Walmart) are a big part of that low price-online-curbside pickup unfolding strategy.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 02:40 PM
exm

3,722 posts, read 1,781,830 times
Stupid progressives. They should have let Amazon build their campus using unionized labors and THEN tighten the screws if they really wanted to.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
They haven't doubled Crystal City HQ2 either.
I don't remember Amazon referring to the NYC location either at HQ2, only the media said it. They are adding additional positions to Crystal City since NYC is off the board.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:18 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
I think they’re talking about upping the number to 34k as phase 2. That’s down from the full 50K.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:20 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Huh? Amazon is a corporate behemoth douche, but is actually creating ecommerce small businesses and entrepreneurs. Walmart destroyed millions of mom and pop businesses and is a major force in the decimation of the middle class. We traded our manufacturing base for some cheap Chinese crap and the promise of low wage retail jobs. Walmart delivered on both. Yay. Amazon pays their low end warehouse help more than Walmart pays some of its managers.
I've seen Walmarts open up in completely vacated strip malls, and then was soon afterwards surrounded by mom and pop shops in every direction. All Walmart did was fight inflation.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
I've seen Walmarts open up in completely vacated strip malls, and then was soon afterwards surrounded by mom and pop shops in every direction. All Walmart did was fight inflation.
It’s all about the prices at any cost.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...problem-2016-8

BTW I’m not anti-Walmart, and they are also pushing tech.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:36 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
I've seen Walmarts open up in completely vacated strip malls, and then was soon afterwards surrounded by mom and pop shops in every direction.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 02-25-2019, 05:41 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,699 times
Quote:
According to the governor its the weather that is driving people out of NY not his policies....
I believe he is spends alot of taxpayer dollars to run ads on TV trying to convince businesses to move to NY. Then when he has a true gift handed his way by Amazon, he helps mess it up. The weather isn't the problem, its dumb demonrat politics and politicians. 25000 green jobs lost.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Amazon is as evil a corporation there is. They harm society more than serve it, and they take all of our money while at it. Trump and AOC are right.
Amazon doesn't take "all" my money, in fact they take a mere pittance; I have never been forced to do business with that corporation and when I have they have supplied products to me in exchange.

Claiming that anything is "evil" without supporting your argument is simply a waste of pixels and whatever is this "harm" they are doing to society? Please enlighten us.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:01 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
As a publically traded company any decision to diversify or relocate the offices to reduce business expenses ultimately benefits the share holders and that is anyone who buys this stock. Now that NYC has been given the finger what company is filling the void to create jobs or will the unions inputs put off other potential investors? According to the governor its the weather that is driving people out of NY not his policies.....
Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and Amazon are slated to expand and have been expanding in NYC and even the Tri-State Area, though the expansions outside of NYC proper have been mostly for urban Northern New Jersey. Amazon subsidiary Audible has actually been subsidizing housing costs for employees within Newark for years. There's also been a lot of smaller tech companies who have expanded, and given how big the majors are, the smaller ones can get quite large. The question for Long Island is if it can actually develop any urban area it has to become an economic magnet as the current urban areas in Long Island don't seem to have been getting much improvement. Can Long Island actually field reasonably attractive commercial centers? If so, where? If not, why? What is currently the major CBD for Long Island? The stations along the main line currently have a really high frequency of service and there are existing rail ROWs that can greatly increase access for different parts of the area especially those that were formerly large commercial centers. What, then, is and can Long Island do about actually making these areas actually attractive to major employers?

It's ridiculous the way Long Island has slacked in this as peak direction trains necessarily have to scoot back in order to bring in more people to Manhattan. Westchester, southwest Connecticut cities, and Northern New Jersey have all been able to create thriving business districts because of this and yet Long Island has not. What is going on? What are the policies kneecapping Long Island that every single other adjacent area to NYC has been able to work out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island