Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 AM

19,222 posts, read 17,105,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head re: Seattle taxes. A tax aimed at Amazon and Starbucks passed in, I believe, May 2018 and was rescinded a month later. I suspect the HQ2 move was a feint directed at that tax.
As a publically traded company any decision to diversify or relocate the offices to reduce business expenses ultimately benefits the share holders and that is anyone who buys this stock. Now that NYC has been given the finger what company is filling the void to create jobs or will the unions inputs put off other potential investors? According to the governor its the weather that is driving people out of NY not his policies.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 10:10 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head re: Seattle taxes. A tax aimed at Amazon and Starbucks passed in, I believe, May 2018 and was rescinded a month later. I suspect the HQ2 move was a feint directed at that tax.
You guys keep forgetting about the Crystal City HQ2, which had long been the front runner in all of this as it fit all the requirements perfectly, and seems to be moving ahead.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:16 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
You guys keep forgetting about the Crystal City HQ2, which had long been the front runner in all of this as it fit all the requirements perfectly, and seems to be moving ahead.
They haven't doubled Crystal City HQ2 either.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:51 PM

1,183 posts, read 709,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
If Amazon could just pull out at the drop of the hat, I suspect that they weren't very committed. I think it was a big loss for NY, but do you all REALLY think it could have been due to a small group of naysayers? Bezos, the richest man in the world faces naysayers all the time, and just trudges ahead, flattening any opposition.
It wasn't the drop of the hat. It was the avowed appointment by Stewart-Cousins, to a board that could kill the whole project, of the whole project's main political opponent - Gianaris. Amazon saw the writing on the wall. It was an entirely sensible business decision to pull out at that point before they threw money down the hole.

Do you REALLY think, period?

Old 02-25-2019, 12:54 PM

1,183 posts, read 709,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Walmart isnt close to as socially immoral as Amazon.

I remember Centereach Mall pre-Walmart. It used to be completely abandoned. Then Walmart came in and the vacant storefronts around it started filling in.
You've gotta be kidding.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:25 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,321,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
You've gotta be kidding.
The biggest risk to local economies of both Main St USA and dense urban centers is Amazon. They are also extremely environmentally unfriendly.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:32 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times
Quote:
The biggest risk to local economies of both Main St USA and dense urban centers is Amazon. They are also extremely environmentally unfriendly.

Huh? Amazon is a corporate behemoth douche, but is actually creating ecommerce small businesses and entrepreneurs. Walmart destroyed millions of mom and pop businesses and is a major force in the decimation of the middle class. We traded our manufacturing base for some cheap Chinese crap and the promise of low wage retail jobs. Walmart delivered on both. Yay. Amazon pays their low end warehouse help more than Walmart pays some of its managers.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:39 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
They haven't doubled Crystal City HQ2 either.
No reason to announce that. Their incentives were for a commitment 25K people, so they need to hit that first. If there are any "accelerators" beyond that they can consider it a few years down the line.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:44 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
No doubt e-commerce takes its toll on brick and mortar stores. 20 years ago it was big box stores taking their toll on the mom and pop stores.

Target and Walmart are holding their own as they introduce curbside pick up which they think blends competitive pricing, e-commerce, and convenient/fast pickup. Amazon cannot match them for the 3rd - and delivery is an added cost for Amazon.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:03 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
No doubt e-commerce takes its toll on brick and mortar stores. 20 years ago it was big box stores taking their toll on the mom and pop stores.

Target and Walmart are holding their own as they introduce curbside pick up which they think blends competitive pricing, e-commerce, and convenient/fast pickup. Amazon cannot match them for the 3rd - and delivery is an added cost for Amazon.
I buy now more from Best Buy than I ever have once they loosened their return policies and did price matching with online retailers.

But I still place hundreds of orders with Amazon a year. The selection is unbeatable - I just ordered mini-chandelier LED lights for some sconce lights. Home Depot and Lowes don't carry LEDs, just incandescent. I would have happily purchased locally but either (1) they don't have it or (2) the prices are 3-4x of Amazon's.

Basic staples I get from Costco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island