Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 04:19 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,256,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
But there's been a rash of deaths all across the globe from the common cold right?

See sudden spike in infection/death rate -> face head-on... sounds legit.

The point is that there may never be a vaccine. And there are hundreds of viruses for which there is no vaccine. So if you're going to stop living out of fear of getting struck by a virus for which there is no vaccine, then you're already as good as dead.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:22 PM

592 posts, read 921,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Funny, we pizz poor manage to run NYS (a "country" compared to some states), while STILL donating $10b plus to KY and MS and LA? Hmmmm. Maybe we should keep that money, since getting any of it back when WE NEED IT is somehow "begging for a bailout." Yeah, bail me out with MY money!! Don't bail out Citibank, Boeing or Amazon AT ALL!! Ooops, too late! We bailout McConnell EVERY YEAR but somehow self-loathing NYers think he knows what's best! Guy with the 47th worst State economy calls us badly managed and NYers buy into it! hahahahahahah Unreal.

I would be OK with trimming back federal taxes which would in turn gut the federal bureaucracy.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:26 PM

592 posts, read 921,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The point is that there may never be a vaccine. And there are hundreds of viruses for which there is no vaccine. So if you're going to stop living out of fear of getting struck by a virus for which there is no vaccine, then you're already as good as dead.
There's going to be a vaccine. It may not confer lifetime immunity but it will render subsequent infections at the level of the common cold or lower.

This is not some exotic virus like HIV, it's a variety of coronavirus which strains have been circulating among humans for centuries. Most people catch a strain at age 3 or younger and then get the same strain over the course of their life and each subsequent time it is a weaker reaction. The same thing will happen here.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:07 PM

5,074 posts, read 3,972,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
There's going to be a vaccine. It may not confer lifetime immunity but it will render subsequent infections at the level of the common cold or lower.

This is not some exotic virus like HIV, it's a variety of coronavirus which strains have been circulating among humans for centuries. Most people catch a strain at age 3 or younger and then get the same strain over the course of their life and each subsequent time it is a weaker reaction. The same thing will happen here.
I don't know about our success with developing any sort of coronavirus vaccines but that is certainly not a prerequisite (for most folks) for a return to normalcy.

News today is 40 million Americans out of work as a result of our reaction to this particular virus.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:12 PM

35,205 posts, read 17,114,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Do you mean the antibody tests? If so, did you ever have it officially or are you going by just being out and about in which case the statistics on that would be very good chance you did get it.

I suspect I got it at some point a few months ago, but I could never get tested as I didn't have enough symptoms.
I never had any symptoms but given my activities in February and March I find the negative antibody test dubious.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I can agree with a lot of that. The next step is to actually say what the numbers identify, who is really at risk and try to predict hot spots using behaviors and demographics. Lizzo might like being morbidly obese but that is a group who is very high risk and shouldn’t be celebrated for loving their bodies. And that can start a very politically incorrect discussion. But at least those at risk can be identified and hopefully helped early.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2765184

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-o...6214L820100302
That must include smoking.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:29 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,904,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Funny, I don't feel that dead. Way to sensationalize it. This is not a fear, but caution - because perhaps something new came up globally.

Apparently many can't even be bothered with caution because they can only see 2 feet in front of them.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Funny, I don't feel that dead. Way to sensationalize it.
I texted my friend the other day that I was the 100,003'd death.

Old 05-28-2020, 06:45 PM

5,074 posts, read 3,972,155 times
Yesterday a total of 13 (3 Nassau, 10 Suffolk) people died with Covid-19 (no word on age, underlying conditions, or nursing home status) here in LI. https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...and-1.43149650

Note: Nassau/Suffolk population is 2,800,000.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:31 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,939,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Funny, we pizz poor manage to run NYS (a "country" compared to some states), while STILL donating $10b plus to KY and MS and LA? Hmmmm. Maybe we should keep that money, since getting any of it back when WE NEED IT is somehow "begging for a bailout." Yeah, bail me out with MY money!! Don't bail out Citibank, Boeing or Amazon AT ALL!! Ooops, too late! We bailout McConnell EVERY YEAR but somehow self-loathing NYers think he knows what's best! Guy with the 47th worst State economy calls us badly managed and NYers buy into it! hahahahahahah Unreal.
"Unreal" is precisely put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.