Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 07:03 AM

983 posts, read 725,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As a former LI'er, I must say I am not only surprised but stunned that Curran lost. From my perspective, she seemed on a path to righting what was/is wrong in Nassau County. I was impressed with what she had done and her reporting via newsletters seemed to be going in the right direction. I am out of LI for 9 years now so obviously I have missed a lot but we still have family there and I also watch what is going on via the news.
I voted all democrat, including Curran. But I think she deserves to loose. I was following her on twitter for years, and a huge number of her tweets were about the long islanders, their games, and their new stadium. Very unprofessional.

And second, she has huge resources in terms of police, but in the last few years Nassau county became lawless.

Edit: also she did nothing in terms of environment, cheering herself for protecting a golf course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 07:14 AM

655 posts, read 1,061,133 times
I am not so shocked by Curran's loss.
I didn't expect such a red wave nationwide, but I think the sole issue for her was reassessment.
Her plan raised taxes for people who grieved, often in higher income areas and we know those areas tend to vote in higher numbers. That includes Democrats and I think there was a sticker shock for folks who perennially grieved and won prior to her and are now seeing huge increases during the 5 year phase in period. The communities which benefitted greatly from reassessment often don't come out to vote. We can argue the merits of whether her plan was fair, but folks vote with their wallet on this issue.

The DA races in both counties should worry Democrats much more. Nassau was a blowout and it looks like a good chunk of folks split the ticket (voted for Curran but then Donnelly) which means that the Dems strategy on law and order issues isn't resonating not only with Republicans, but suburban Dems as well.

Old 11-03-2021, 07:39 AM

855 posts, read 451,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As a former LI'er, I must say I am not only surprised but stunned that Curran lost. From my perspective, she seemed on a path to righting what was/is wrong in Nassau County. I was impressed with what she had done and her reporting via newsletters seemed to be going in the right direction. I am out of LI for 9 years now so obviously I have missed a lot but we still have family there and I also watch what is going on via the news.
What is it she has done to improve anyone's lives?

Old 11-03-2021, 07:44 AM

655 posts, read 1,061,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I voted all democrat, including Curran. But I think she deserves to loose. I was following her on twitter for years, and a huge number of her tweets were about the long islanders, their games, and their new stadium. Very unprofessional.

And second, she has huge resources in terms of police, but in the last few years Nassau county became lawless.

Edit: also she did nothing in terms of environment, cheering herself for protecting a golf course.
Why vote for her then?

Old 11-03-2021, 08:01 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,221,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Why vote for her then?

Ha!

Old 11-03-2021, 08:16 AM

983 posts, read 725,707 times
Quote:
Why vote for her then?
Because republicans are worse. They care only about money, guns, and they confuse freedom with "let me do whatever I want".

Old 11-03-2021, 09:15 AM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Here is a run down of many of the elections: https://projects.newsday.com/voters-...neral-election

Old 11-03-2021, 09:34 AM

185 posts, read 110,166 times
Quote:
The DA races in both counties should worry Democrats much more. Nassau was a blowout and it looks like a good chunk of folks split the ticket (voted for Curran but then Donnelly) which means that the Dems strategy on law and order issues isn't resonating not only with Republicans, but suburban Dems as well.
Yes i agree. I found the results encouraging and was happy to learn so many on LI care about law and order. I don’t want to live somewhere unsafe.

That said, I’m not heartless; I think it’s really difficult for someone who has been to prison and there has to be a pathway back to a productive life once the sentence has been served. I don’t have a ready solution but the answer is clearly not “don’t arrest or punish someone in the first place”.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:56 AM

1,467 posts, read 760,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Because republicans are worse. They care only about money, guns, and they confuse freedom with "let me do whatever I want".
Do you still support Andrew coumo since republicans are worse ? Just curious.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:25 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Great day for GOP just a total smackdown of democrats on LI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island