Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 01:13 PM

983 posts, read 725,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Do you still support Andrew coumo since republicans are worse ? Just curious.
No. I never liked him. Don't believe he disserved to be kicked out until proven guilty though. However what he did by hiding Covid numbers in assisted living places is enough to be expelled.

Speaking of, I always felt Curran was too close to Cuomo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 01:27 PM

7,936 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I am not so shocked by Curran's loss.
I didn't expect such a red wave nationwide, but I think the sole issue for her was reassessment.
Her plan raised taxes for people who grieved, often in higher income areas and we know those areas tend to vote in higher numbers. That includes Democrats and I think there was a sticker shock for folks who perennially grieved and won prior to her and are now seeing huge increases during the 5 year phase in period. The communities which benefitted greatly from reassessment often don't come out to vote. We can argue the merits of whether her plan was fair, but folks vote with their wallet on this issue.

The DA races in both counties should worry Democrats much more. Nassau was a blowout and it looks like a good chunk of folks split the ticket (voted for Curran but then Donnelly) which means that the Dems strategy on law and order issues isn't resonating not only with Republicans, but suburban Dems as well.
Yes those who grieved their taxes after being encouraged by politicians to grieve their taxes are now somehow the bad people.

Never a single action about reducing cost, streamlining personel, or reducing patronage jobs. Just the usual promise to do so around Election Day with nothing tangible done.

It would have been nice to have the Federal covid money just be given as a property tax deduction instead of jumping through hoops to apply for it.

Old 11-03-2021, 01:32 PM

629 posts, read 963,583 times
I pretty much voted all Republican except for Curran. I thought she did a good job as County Exec and just happened to be facing a Republican onslaught. I don't know anything about Blakeman, but hopefully he'll be at least a decent County Exec, as past Republican county execs have been pretty crappy.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:25 PM

62 posts, read 68,546 times
Kinda funny how there aren't any Republicans calling for a recounts on any races, no voter fraud cries.

Where are those Ninjas?

Old 11-03-2021, 03:18 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
I pretty much voted all Republican except for Curran. I thought she did a good job as County Exec and just happened to be facing a Republican onslaught. I don't know anything about Blakeman, but hopefully he'll be at least a decent County Exec, as past Republican county execs have been pretty crappy.
Same. Not thrilled at all with her reassessment BS but I understand why she did it. Other than that she was a decent enough CE and pretty moderate. Blakeman is just a life long LI GOP machine hack who probably only won because he rode the red wave. Hopefully he will do a decent job.

Old 11-03-2021, 03:35 PM

655 posts, read 1,061,341 times
One group of voters to focus on here are the mom and pop landlords who would sometimes vote Democratic. Lots of them in our region.
They have been decimated and vilified due to policies mainly at the state level and are now going on 2 years where they have not been paid any rent and are furious that they gov't has told them that they have no option to evict. Lots of bad actors on both sides, but tenants are scamming the heck out of this and landlords are a reliable voting bloc.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:22 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
I voted all democrat, including Curran. But I think she deserves to loose. I was following her on twitter for years, and a huge number of her tweets were about the long islanders, their games, and their new stadium. Very unprofessional.

And second, she has huge resources in terms of police, but in the last few years Nassau county became lawless.

Edit: also she did nothing in terms of environment, cheering herself for protecting a golf course.
I guess I lived in a different Nassau County, NY than you do.

https://www.audacy.com/wcbs880/news/...owns-make-list

Old 11-03-2021, 05:27 PM

1,264 posts, read 562,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Same. Not thrilled at all with her reassessment BS but I understand why she did it. Other than that she was a decent enough CE and pretty moderate. Blakeman is just a life long LI GOP machine hack who probably only won because he rode the red wave. Hopefully he will do a decent job.
Most are not thrilled with the assessment, but it's something that had to be done. They really need to scrap the whole system and start over, tying the number to some real external metric, like mortgage appraisals or insurance underwriting. People will want true values on the county rolls if they're affected in the outside world. Nobody is going to sell or insure their houses for what they claim to the County it's worth. My big takeaway has been that if 65% of people saw increases (some who probably haven't had a real assessment since they bought the house in 1978), that means they had been subsidized for years by the other 35%.

GOP was calling for an elected assessor when Calvin ran for TOH Supervisor 2 years ago (oddly enough, pretty much running a campaign against the county executive and counting on a lot of voters confusing the two Lauras). Let's hope we don't go that route. We need someone who can do the job, not someone who is good at kissing babies and taking pictures.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:58 PM

983 posts, read 725,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I guess I lived in a different Nassau County, NY than you do.

https://www.audacy.com/wcbs880/news/...owns-make-list
Have you been driving around? So many crazy people. No police at all.

Old 11-03-2021, 06:03 PM

718 posts, read 621,034 times
Red wave nation just starting. The long island swamp is getting drained!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island