Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 01:55 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
Many of the folks elected like Bruce Blakeman are career politicians who have been entrenched in local politics for decades. They are pretty much the definition of swamp creatures.
He travelled in some fancy schmancy circles too. His ex is Mrs. Paul McCartney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 03:24 PM

426 posts, read 960,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablegeek117 View Post
Many of the folks elected like Bruce Blakeman are career politicians who have been entrenched in local politics for decades. They are pretty much the definition of swamp creatures.
And this is exactly why people like and voted for Trump.....he's an outsider and not in the political boys club or "establishment". He was the fly in the proverbial ointment, and ppl in Washington and yes, even RINO Republicans, hated him for it. That is exactly WHY we need and needed someone like him, to F'ing get the F'in wheels moving and call ppl out on their BS

You may not have liked his style, but I'm pretty sure a good number of you Dems on here would prefer his "mean tweets" now over the rising inflation, gas prices, botched Afghanistan pullout, vaccine mandates, and overall general incompetence of this current administration.

As for property taxes on LI, throw out the old system and reassessments which obviously was a disaster and start every household over from scratch at 5,000 a year and go from there.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:14 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
For the life of me, I just don’t get it.
How many thousands of tax municipalities are out there?
And the greatest place on earth, Strong Island, particularly Nassau, has one of the most ridiculous and dysfunctional tax systems in all of America. I mean really? Nobody can get it right? All these years and nobody has been able to straighten it out? All these fancy world class so-called educated people on the payroll can’t and couldn’t fix the assessment system? Or maybe it’s really because they don’t actually want to? Hmmm….

Old 11-05-2021, 08:02 PM

1,264 posts, read 562,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
For the life of me, I just don’t get it.
How many thousands of tax municipalities are out there?
And the greatest place on earth, Strong Island, particularly Nassau, has one of the most ridiculous and dysfunctional tax systems in all of America. I mean really? Nobody can get it right? All these years and nobody has been able to straighten it out? All these fancy world class so-called educated people on the payroll can’t and couldn’t fix the assessment system? Or maybe it’s really because they don’t actually want to? Hmmm….
Don't worry, we will end up with an elected tax assessor to fix it all! Probably someone with high qualifications like a 10th grade education and a rich uncle who can write checks to the party boss.

Old 11-06-2021, 06:39 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Well thankfully it’s not my problem anymore.
But it still disgusts me, all the years of financial ass raping.
When I left Nassau my taxes were 11,500 for a 1300 sq ft cape on 60x100.
Eleven THOUSAND dollars a year.
I understand your statement. I traded a 1400 sq ft cape for a 2450 ranch and my taxes that I paid in Sept were $1259. Now to be fully transparent I do pay an additional $600 for sewer and garbage combined and I get a $400 senior discount but even including both of them my total taxes would be $2259.

I don't have the highways to maintain (or not), but if I see a pot hole in the road, I make a call and within 2 days it is filled and if in a highly trafficked roadway, they cold patch immediately and then come back and do a repave of that area. Unfortunately, we now have a traffic mess every time Biden comes into town, but there is nothing we can do about it.

Old 11-06-2021, 07:56 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I understand your statement. I traded a 1400 sq ft cape for a 2450 ranch and my taxes that I paid in Sept were $1259. Now to be fully transparent I do pay an additional $600 for sewer and garbage combined and I get a $400 senior discount but even including both of them my total taxes would be $2259.

I don't have the highways to maintain (or not), but if I see a pot hole in the road, I make a call and within 2 days it is filled and if in a highly trafficked roadway, they cold patch immediately and then come back and do a repave of that area. Unfortunately, we now have a traffic mess every time Biden comes into town, but there is nothing we can do about it.
This to me is the big difference when you move from NY. If there is an infrastructure project going on here you can actually call the project engineer and speak to them about it. It’s amazing.

Going backwards in taxes is never gonna happen because the dirty little secret is Nassau taxes are not THAT outrageous - it’s the school taxes that are the killer. Most places do not have that separated. That is never going to change.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:07 AM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
This to me is the big difference when you move from NY. If there is an infrastructure project going on here you can actually call the project engineer and speak to them about it. It’s amazing.

Going backwards in taxes is never gonna happen because the dirty little secret is Nassau taxes are not THAT outrageous - it’s the school taxes that are the killer. Most places do not have that separated. That is never going to change.
They’re thieves. Greedy power hungry thieves. All of them. The politicians right down to the public employees.
I pay like 1500 a year in an award winning school district. I own a small towns worth of land with multiple structures. Infrastructure and jobs are taken seriously here.
People don’t need to call for potholes or storm drain cleaning and such, they just do it. Because they can, and they actually want to. It’s a bit of culture shock for me. Took a bit of getting used to, but in a good way.
Snow removal is top notch as well. I just don’t get how people on LI can just tolerate the BS for the money they pay.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:12 AM

690 posts, read 585,493 times
Quote:
They’re thieves. Greedy power hungry thieves. All of them. The politicians right down to the public employees.
I pay like 1500 a year in an award winning school district. I own a small towns worth of land with multiple structures. Infrastructure and jobs are taken seriously here.
People don’t need to call for potholes or storm drain cleaning and such, they just do it. Because they can, and they actually want to. It’s a bit of culture shock for me. Took a bit of getting used to, but in a good way.
Snow removal is top notch as well. I just don’t get how people on LI can just tolerate the BS for the money they pay.
I stand by my theory. They tolerate it, bc they don't know any better. They think LI is the end all and be all. Generations of them. Most have never even left the island to live anywhere else, even for school. You and I are the crazy ones for knowing it's not normal, and there is way, way better to be had. Fine by me, let them stay and enjoy it, the second I hear that ear piercing accent outside of there, it makes me dry heave.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:17 AM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Red wave nation just starting. The long island swamp is getting drained!
Electing someone involved in Nassau Politics for 30 years who was Presiding Officer of the Nassau Legislature under Tom Gullotta when our finances were almost taken over by NIFA is not exactly draining the swamp.

Then again, neither is electing a Real Estate Billionaire who set tax policy to benefit himself and used taxpayer $$ to fund trips to his Golf Courses, Hotels and other business ventures.

Old 11-06-2021, 09:30 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
They're too busy being gone 14 hours a day and calling it "worth it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island