Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 06:05 PM

1,466 posts, read 759,691 times

Advertisements

The crime numbers dont include the villages I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 09:14 PM

62 posts, read 107,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Same. Not thrilled at all with her reassessment BS but I understand why she did it. Other than that she was a decent enough CE and pretty moderate. Blakeman is just a life long LI GOP machine hack who probably only won because he rode the red wave. Hopefully he will do a decent job.
I understand why she did the reassessment, but she does not have the brain to do it in the right way.

Within the same school district, the reassessment should make certain homes pay less tax and certain homes pay more tax. However, none of my neighbors saw a tax decline. Many of my neighbors saw a tax rise of $2000 per year. In five years, the tax will rise by $10,000. Those are not mansions, just splits or small colonials, around 1800 sq. ft.

Moreover, the new phase in 8-year periods for new constructions this year is just terrible. Taxes on many new constructions jumped from $10k or $12k to $30k last year, which is huge, but understandably as one-story ranches became mini-mansions. However, Curran introduced the new phase in 8-year period for new constructions, now this year, taxes on new constructions dropped back to $10k to $12k. At the same time, old splits or colonial owners saw their tax jump another $2000, what a terrible way to solve the problem! People are not happy at all. Lots of my neighbors just want to vote her out.

She just does not know how to solve problems. Her solution is terrible.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:06 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun12 View Post
I understand why she did the reassessment, but she does not have the brain to do it in the right way.

Within the same school district, the reassessment should make certain homes pay less tax and certain homes pay more tax. However, none of my neighbors saw a tax decline. Many of my neighbors saw a tax rise of $2000 per year. In five years, the tax will rise by $10,000. Those are not mansions, just splits or small colonials, around 1800 sq. ft.

Moreover, the new phase in 8-year periods for new constructions this year is just terrible. Taxes on many new constructions jumped from $10k or $12k to $30k last year, which is huge, but understandably as one-story ranches became mini-mansions. However, Curran introduced the new phase in 8-year period for new constructions, now this year, taxes on new constructions dropped back to $10k to $12k. At the same time, old splits or colonial owners saw their tax jump another $2000, what a terrible way to solve the problem! People are not happy at all. Lots of my neighbors just want to vote her out.

She just does not know how to solve problems. Her solution is terrible.
Other homes in the school district like did see a drop. How was your home assessed during the Mangano years compared to the actual value of it during that time? If it was being way under assessed during that time period you likely would have seen an increase as others were paying higher taxes than they otherwise would have if their home wasn't as underassessed as yours was. Hell Joe Saladino's BAYFRONT home in Nassau Shores was assessed in the low to mid 400's during that time period. Curran's assessment was not perfect and it was a painful for some, but that came about due to how badly the assessment system got screwed up previously. There was no way to fix how badly broken t was other than a massive overhaul.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
I pretty much voted all Republican except for Curran. I thought she did a good job as County Exec and just happened to be facing a Republican onslaught. I don't know anything about Blakeman, but hopefully he'll be at least a decent County Exec, as past Republican county execs have been pretty crappy.

Blakeman was the Presiding Officer in the Nassau County Legislature during the late 90's mess that almost got our finances taken over by the state when Gullotta was CE

Old 11-03-2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Yes those who grieved their taxes after being encouraged by politicians to grieve their taxes are now somehow the bad people.

Never a single action about reducing cost, streamlining personel, or reducing patronage jobs. Just the usual promise to do so around Election Day with nothing tangible done.

It would have been nice to have the Federal covid money just be given as a property tax deduction instead of jumping through hoops to apply for it.
I don't think those who grieved the taxes are being made out to be bad people. However, fact of the matter is those that did grieve had their assessments lowered even when they weren't actually over assessed came at the expense of those who didn't grieve or in some cases grieved didn't grieve with politically connected companies.
Anyone is and should be free to grieve, and assessments should be lowered (and taxes as a result) if someone is overassessed, however it shouldn't be a rubber stamp. That whole mess is what required the overhaul Curran had to do. The system was beyond broken.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
The crime numbers dont include the villages I believe.
The village figures (for those wit separate Police Dept's) aren't included in the Nassau PD #'s, but is included when looking at crime, etc for the county as a whole

Old 11-04-2021, 05:12 AM

1,262 posts, read 561,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I don't think those who grieved the taxes are being made out to be bad people. However, fact of the matter is those that did grieve had their assessments lowered even when they weren't actually over assessed came at the expense of those who didn't grieve or in some cases grieved didn't grieve with politically connected companies.
Anyone is and should be free to grieve, and assessments should be lowered (and taxes as a result) if someone is overassessed, however it shouldn't be a rubber stamp. That whole mess is what required the overhaul Curran had to do. The system was beyond broken.
All this, plus these grievances happening in a complete vacuum. There is no trend analysis and subsequent adjustment to substantially similar homes.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:03 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Have you been driving around? So many crazy people. No police at all.
If you read my original post you will see that I am a former LI'er. So, no I have not been driving around most especially during a pandemic because I listened to the rules regarding interstate travel during the time I normally visit family. I will however, point out that if your definition of lawlessness is solely based upon traffic as it seems to be.........well never mind there is just no point explaining.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:25 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If you read my original post you will see that I am a former LI'er. So, no I have not been driving around most especially during a pandemic because I listened to the rules regarding interstate travel during the time I normally visit family. I will however, point out that if your definition of lawlessness is solely based upon traffic as it seems to be.........well never mind there is just no point explaining.
Speaking of crazy, we have this useful tool available

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long...e-feature.html

Old 11-05-2021, 01:50 PM

186 posts, read 67,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Red wave nation just starting. The long island swamp is getting drained!
Many of the folks elected like Bruce Blakeman are career politicians who have been entrenched in local politics for decades. They are pretty much the definition of swamp creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island