Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 06:41 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
It would be nice to have a quarter mile track again. May stop the "stupids" from street racing. I used to have a 11 second 76 camaro...I loved that car. Loved taking it to the track. We do have other draw's on long island. Parks, beaches, museums, the aquarium, Nassau coliseum and others that I cant remember. Motor sports is not the save all end all, but it may be a nice addition. It is a tradition here to have such a track. I can understand why the Track's failed in the past. people are not forgiving of the kind of noise and traffic not to mention parking problems involved in a place like the Hamptons.
fact is, our economy is hurt, it is broken beyond repair. The people who run this country, state, county...don't care about anything but money....they would step over your dead body to pick up a twenty dollar bill.
When you are born they put a dollar amount on you, What your worth.
when you get sick they assess you to see if your "worth" repairing.
your insurance company will pay if it's not too much
we are completely worthless to everyone but ourselves.
This country is broken.
and nobody will do a thing to fix it
Had 9.7 second mustang but i'm realistic. 2000 voters are nothing compared to the millions in long island. As a whole the majority of the people couldn't care less. It's kind of like when you have a concert, the fans show up obviously and not the people who dislike the group. If it was undeveloped I might agree to leave it alone but it's not. A race track might get some attention in the beginning if it was built but eventually it would die off as a passing fad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 AM

78 posts, read 203,117 times
I disagree that the fad of a track would wear off. But to make the facility profitable, the principles will likely need to have a 'club' aspect to the place. That's where the paradox is created - the track can't as exclusive as a private golf course, so hopefully some type of arrangement can be made where members have exclusive rights to the facility for half of the season, and the place can be enjoyed by non-members the other half, in similar fashion to how Lime Rock is currently managed (track day rentals by NASA, PDA, SCDA, etc. . .).

I think the general public is not familiar with a Monticello type facility however. In this country, the average citizen only knows about NASCAR and speedway ovals, so I feel that it's an immediate turn off given one of those ovals is arguably as cumbersome as a 100' high indoor ski mountain.

Rexler's EPCAL concept was a nice proposal, less the oval. This is all wishful thinking unfortunately. I just cross my fingers that a car guy with serious bucks decides to get behind a facility (Seinfeld, RL, etc. . .)

Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
no interest -> Long Island Business News » Left turns

You must never go anywhere but work, home and online
Uh-huh, you got me. I cower in my home to hide from all the greasy NASCAR loving rednecks here on L.I.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
I disagree that the fad of a track would wear off. But to make the facility profitable, the principles will likely need to have a 'club' aspect to the place. That's where the paradox is created - the track can't as exclusive as a private golf course, so hopefully some type of arrangement can be made where members have exclusive rights to the facility for half of the season, and the place can be enjoyed by non-members the other half, in similar fashion to how Lime Rock is currently managed (track day rentals by NASA, PDA, SCDA, etc. . .).

I think the general public is not familiar with a Monticello type facility however. In this country, the average citizen only knows about NASCAR and speedway ovals, so I feel that it's an immediate turn off given one of those ovals is arguably as cumbersome as a 100' high indoor ski mountain.

Rexler's EPCAL concept was a nice proposal, less the oval. This is all wishful thinking unfortunately. I just cross my fingers that a car guy with serious bucks decides to get behind a facility (Seinfeld, RL, etc. . .)

the track wouldn't fade off, if you go to NJMP or CT any of the drag strips in NJ, you'll notice you are surrounded by NY'ers...
Not NJ...

Thing is we have a builder, and the ONLY reason the RC proposal wasn't picked was because there wasn't anyone willing to come out and support it...

They people against it came out, we opposed them and on a critical protest day everyone else decided it wasn't important to come and so we have had to wait out RR for the last 4 years...

The island could use the full facility though, drag strip, road course and oval, there are enough local people to keep it busy.

If you want it, join www.limotorsports.org

Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,191,124 times
Sorry I didn't read all the posts, but I think it is the best thing ever to happen to Riverhead.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 AM

208 posts, read 492,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
Uh-huh, you got me. I cower in my home to hide from all the greasy NASCAR loving rednecks here on L.I.
i see sombody is still in 1972
Thanks for your comment

go pick up 4 Illegals to cut your millon Doller Lawn

its Snobish Uptight Pepole Like You that have Killed The Racing Industry h
have made Pepole move and make them Travel Miles just to Enjoy their Hobby
Because sombody had to move and ***** about the Noise from a racetrack that was their Before they were even Born!!!

I hope your neighbors have Loud Cars the Make you want to pull your Hair out

Last edited by Nascar99; 12-15-2010 at 07:20 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,214 times
LOL! I wasn't even born yet in '72. By the way, I AM THE NEIGHBOR WITH THE LOUD TAILPIPES. Love my 'stang. Epic fail on your part.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,222 times
For the guys and girls that would like Motorsports, and be part of the island as other peoples hobbies and games are..

Opinion: Race Fans Want Facility at EPCAL for Christmas - Riverhead, NY Patch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island