Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times

Advertisements

Personally, I am in favor of year round school. Not to get more out of the teachers, but to get more out of the students.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:42 AM

313 posts, read 1,053,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Personally, I am in favor of year round school. Not to get more out of the teachers, but to get more out of the students.
This, however, is where the parents need to step up. I have done two "loops" with the same kids (sixth, seventh and eighth grade) and I used to get so depressed in the fall when I'd say "Do you remember ____" and I'd get a blank look from most of them, even though it was something I KNEW I'd taught them. I think it's because they spent so much time in the summer in front of the tv, not reading. A staggered school year might address some of these issues, but it also might make parents feel like they have even less of a role in their kid's education.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
The US does have too long of a summer break. I lived in England for 4 years. There, the year is only slightly longer (190 days vs 180) but the summer break is only 6 weeks long. (They get 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks Easter, 1 week in the middle of each of the 3 terms.) Research does show that the first month of the year is wasted because it's spent getting back to where the kids were in June.

However, changing would result in people complaining about the loss of vacation and camp, and we actually would have to invest a lot in facilities improvements. It's one thing to keep schools non-a/c when we have 10-11 weeks off in summer; if we wanted kids in school during those weeks, we'd have to air condition. It would be impossibly brutal otherwise and none of the kids would learn anything.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
It's amazing that cops and teachers turn on each other in these situations. There is a reason that thousands of people take the NC and SC PD tests, and there is a reason that it is very difficult to get a teaching job on LI without a connection...because they are very good paying, stable jobs with excellent benefits.

I know, because my wife subbed and worked part time jobs for 5 years before she finally landed full time, while people with relatives on the school board are hired full time right out of college..... but I digress.

That being said, and I have an obvious bias....we pay too much in taxes here on LI. Do I think we could get just as much quality with teachers and cops maxing out at 75k as opposed to $100K? Probably. Do I think that civil servants should be able to afford a house where they work? Yes. In the case of a cop after 5 years, should they be able to afford a house without their spouse working while everyone else is working 2 jobs to be able to afford the taxes on top of all the other expenses? I don't know...it's a serious issue.

The bottom line is, taxes here are outrageous, but then when you talk about consolidating school districts, no one wants to do it. They immediately attack teachers.

Keep in mind that being a teacher here requires a masters degree. If you get a masters in accounting and a CPA..you will easily make over $100k a year. If you get an MBA, you should be up near $100k in a few years with any luck. Teaching is a PROFESSION, it is not flipping burgers at McDonalds like many very bitter Long Islanders feel.

Therein also lies an issue...there is so much hyperbole and emotion involved in this situation..people with an agenda distort the truth.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:05 PM

175 posts, read 657,506 times
Four differences:
1) The CPA isn't paid by the taxpayers
2) The CPA can get laid off if they find someone who can do as good a job for less money
3) The CPA actually is held accountable for his/her performance
4) The CPA isn't retiring with a pension paid for by the tax payers.

TeaJay's post cracks me up. When things go well it's because of the teachers, but when the kids aren't learning it's the parents fault. If you've spend two years with kids that haven't learned anything maybe it's time to look in the mirror. Of course you were held to the same standard as people in the real world you'd be out on your butt for that kind of performance.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaPedro View Post
Four differences:
1) The CPA isn't paid by the taxpayers
2) The CPA can get laid off if they find someone who can do as good a job for less money
3) The CPA actually is held accountable for his/her performance
4) The CPA isn't retiring with a pension paid for by the tax payers.

TeaJay's post cracks me up. When things go well it's because of the teachers, but when the kids aren't learning it's the parents fault. If you've spend two years with kids that haven't learned anything maybe it's time to look in the mirror. Of course you were held to the same standard as people in the real world you'd be out on your butt for that kind of performance.
A CPA working for the government gets all or most of those things.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:21 PM

155 posts, read 298,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
A CPA working for the government gets all or most of those things.
Show me a CPA working for the government and I'll show you a bad accountant.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
Show me a CPA working for the government and I'll show you a bad accountant.

Or maybe one who wants a pension and benefits opposed to a huge payout up front?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:25 PM

155 posts, read 298,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Or maybe one who wants a pension and benefits opposed to a huge payout up front?
Accounting is hot right now... the pay disparity is pretty large if you work in a big 4 (or even second tier RSM, BDO, GT). Remember, not all government employees make the type of coin the LI cops make.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
The US does have too long of a summer break. I lived in England for 4 years. There, the year is only slightly longer (190 days vs 180) but the summer break is only 6 weeks long. (They get 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks Easter, 1 week in the middle of each of the 3 terms.) Research does show that the first month of the year is wasted because it's spent getting back to where the kids were in June.

However, changing would result in people complaining about the loss of vacation and camp, and we actually would have to invest a lot in facilities improvements. It's one thing to keep schools non-a/c when we have 10-11 weeks off in summer; if we wanted kids in school during those weeks, we'd have to air condition. It would be impossibly brutal otherwise and none of the kids would learn anything.

Great points and thank you for giving us an idea as to how the UK system operates.

Given the high cost of heating fuel, the money saved on oil while taking longer breaks in the winter months would eventually help offset the cost of retrofitting the HVAC systems of many of the buildings. Some of the buildings in our district have furnaces which are due replacement, anyway.

The schools could also consider greening up and converting to solar energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island