Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 AM

40 posts, read 196,339 times

Advertisements

I don't think teachers on LI make too much, especially since they need advanced degrees and credits however I do think the pension system needs to be changed. People are living longer and pensions are getting bigger...we simply can't afford to keep paying these out for life. If teachers make as much or more than folks in the private sector, than I feel they should have to save as much for their retirement as we have to.

Teachers have an extremely important role in society and I respect their profession, especially with the out-of-control kids they have to deal with these days. But...it is still an awesome job with tons of perks and days off that I would KILL for.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:31 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes, there are places where in addition to teacher's salaries people feel tax money is being squandered. And yes, administrators are a chunk of change, too. When you put the two together, the sum becomes more egregious to some and completely unpalatable to others.

However, as I've written in the previous post, school taxes make up a significant portion of the tax bill. In my case, they account for close to 65% (2/3) of my total tax bill. I own a business and realize that salaries are only a portion of the operating cost of the budget, but the general populace sees a huge tax bill and teachers receiving raises the likes of which many people haven't seen in a few years. They associate your salaries directly with their taxes, despite the fact that salaries, benefits and retirement are only a portion in addition to maintenance, custodial, grounds, administrators, utilities, insurance, debt service, etc.

I try to understand the teachers' point of view, but when they continue to receive and those of us paying are seeing our taxes rise, our health insurance premiums go up (I pay $1,400 per month) and our salaries remain unchanged, people do start to get to upset. I would hope that the teachers who are reading this would just try to understand this. I'm not persecuting anyone for their career choice, but I am speaking for a lot of people out there who are being stretched thin.

More and more people are leaving LI and the reason: COL & taxes. Do I say teachers are solely to blame? NO. We all are aware of all the special districts and how it all adds up, which doesn't help matters either.

Talk to administration: We attend BOE meetings, hand in cards ahead of time (when it's a heated topic with a huge turn out) and make our case. I have been to meetings were scores of parents have taken their 2-3 mins at the podium, pleading their case, sharing their views, offering alternatives; they've been followed by more like-minded parents. The school board will still turn and vote the opposite, anyway.

I am one of the rare parents who doesn't run to the school and blame the teacher when 'Petunia' doesn't do well, or has a problem. I agree that there is laxity in discipline both in the home and in the school. Social promotion needs to end, too. I would sooner see teachers doing their job than having to police unruly or disruptive students.

Mind you, I am not saying you have it easy. You are working for your money. I am writing what I read, hear and see when I am out and about, from the 'layperson' standpoint.
Hear is the issue with school taxes: you see them! Its the big number on the tax bill! But in reality, its truly represented as what you pay while other portions of the bill is not. Your paying alot more for police services that what is stated on your tax bill. Why? Because police are also supported by sales tax and revenues that they create (tickets, for one).

NYS used to fund over 50% of schools budgets, now its less than 30%. Its all on how its presented.

Preception is a big part of the problem.

Look at revenue % for SCPD:

Property tax: 17%
State aid: 10%
Federal aid: 6%
Sales tax 38%
SCPD income 29%

Look at a typical revenue % for a school district

Federal aid: 2%
State aid: 27% (which includes Star money,yep property tax)
Prop. tax 78%

We have to remember that we do pay alot of taxes but you do not "feel" sales tax the same way as property tax. Its still our money.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:35 AM

155 posts, read 298,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Hear is the issue with school taxes: you see them! Its the big number on the tax bill! But in reality, its truly represented as what you pay while other portions of the bill is not. Your paying alot more for police services that what is stated on your tax bill. Why? Because police are also supported by sales tax and revenues that they create (tickets, for one).

NYS used to fund over 50% of schools budgets, now its less than 30%. Its all on how its presented.

Sales tax 38%
SCPD income 29%

Federal aid:
Excellent point, I never knew the breakdown of revenue was composed like this. This is very eye opening to say the least. Thank you!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
Excellent point, I never knew the breakdown of revenue was composed like this. This is very eye opening to say the least. Thank you!
Next time a cop tells you that teachers are the only problem and that police have little impact on taxes...let them know that's not completely true.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post

Sales tax 38%
SCPD income 29%

Federal aid: 2%
State aid: 27% (which includes Star money,yep property tax)
Prop. tax 78%

We have to remember that we do pay alot of taxes but you do not "feel" sales tax the same way as property tax. Its still our money.
Thank you for that breakdown.

We need to have the cops start vigorously enforcing all manner of infractions and use the fine money to finance themselves, reducing some of the tax/aid burden.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Thank you for that breakdown.

We need to have the cops start vigorously enforcing all manner of infractions and use the fine money to finance themselves, reducing some of the tax/aid burden.
That would probably be the first response of the cops if there were ever serious talk of lowering salary levels..punish the tax payers even more for daring to question them!! Not really a surprise coming from an authoritarian bunch.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 AM

155 posts, read 298,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
That would probably be the first response of the cops if there were ever serious talk of lowering salary levels..punish the tax payers even more for daring to question them!! Not really a surprise coming from an authoritarian bunch.
No surprise at all - it's pretty obvious which posters on here are cops or wives of cops.

As for the teachers, the last stats I saw showed the median salary for Nassau County teachers at 66,000 (I believe this is from 2005). I think it's safe to say teachers are hardly overpaid, especially when you factor in the cost of attaining both a BA and MA degree in order to be eligible to teach here on LI. I do find it funny that the knee jerk reaction of some civil service groups is to immediately point the finger at the teachers.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
No surprise at all - it's pretty obvious which posters on here are cops or wives of cops.

As for the teachers, the last stats I saw showed the median salary for Nassau County teachers at 66,000 (I believe this is from 2005). I think it's safe to say teachers are hardly overpaid, especially when you factor in the cost of attaining both a BA and MA degree in order to be eligible to teach here on LI. I do find it funny that the knee jerk reaction of some civil service groups is to immediately point the finger at the teachers.
Let's face it..the cops in Suffolk and Nassau know that they have a sweetheart deal. There only legitimate response is "why didn't you become a cop, then?" There is no logical justification for the disproportionate compensation...it just is what it is, and only a constant chorus from the electorate can change it. Not enough people have the time and/or will to do anything about it. Going to a school board meeting to complain about the schools is hard enough for most people, digging through red tape to find the source of police salaries is too much for most people to bother with.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
How would proper enforcement of the law be a punishment?

This morning I had the 'joy' of driving from Stony Brook to Miller Place. It was a relatively short drive at a time when most commuters were already at work.

I was cut off several times.
Drivers passed others on the right, on the shoulders -- you name it.
Drivers blew through red lights (not yellow, RED)
I had one person veer towards me into my lane as he was texting!
Failure to signal
The Posted Speed Limit was treated as a suggestion, and not the law.

Mind you, I am not a little old lady driver. I am guilty of driving above the limit (a few MPH, not like the Speed Racers I saw today.) and I get out of the way if someone is looking to pass. I like traffic to flow, like everyone else. However I will not do so in such a way as to put myself or others at risk.

If the police were enforcing the laws as they ought to, it would not be punishing the taxpayers, it would be punishing the law breakers. The law abiding taxpayers might actually see the portion of the tax (which supports the PD) hold steady as opposed to increasing with everything else.

If someone breaks the law, they should pay.

A bonus to strict enforcement of motor vehicle laws would very possibly be a reduction in accidents as motorists start BeeHaving themselves behind the wheel.

For the record:

I am not married to a cop, I am not a cop, never had the desire to take the exam to become a cop. It's a thankless job. People like to beeyotch and moan about them when they are handed a ticket, but always seem to forget when they were there to help them.

PS Sorry to get off topic...however the board appears to have 'linked' teachers and police as overpaid.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
How would proper enforcement of the law be a punishment?

This morning I had the 'joy' of driving from Stony Brook to Miller Place. It was a relatively short drive at a time when most commuters were already at work.

I was cut off several times.
Drivers passed others on the right, on the shoulders -- you name it.
Drivers blew through red lights (not yellow, RED)
I had one person veer towards me into my lane as he was texting!
Failure to signal
The Posted Speed Limit was treated as a suggestion, and not the law.

Mind you, I am not a little old lady driver. I am guilty of driving above the limit (a few MPH, not like the Speed Racers I saw today.) and I get out of the way if someone is looking to pass. I like traffic to flow, like everyone else. However I will not do so in such a way as to put myself or others at risk.

If the police were enforcing the laws as they ought to, it would not be punishing the taxpayers, it would be punishing the law breakers. The law abiding taxpayers might actually see the portion of the tax (which supports the PD) hold steady as opposed to increasing with everything else.

If someone breaks the law, they should pay.

A bonus to strict enforcement of motor vehicle laws would very possibly be a reduction in accidents as motorists start BeeHaving themselves behind the wheel.
I'm also tired of getting tail-gaited and people blowing through red lights, but the cynical side of me sees stepped up enforcement as a cop sitting on a main road with an unreasonable 30 mph ticketing people doing 37 mph, not nailing people for tailgaiting and blowing red lights. I'm all for those people getting what they deserve. Just be careful what you wish for in terms of asking the police to finance themselves with summonses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island