Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 08:35 PM

174 posts, read 969,933 times

Advertisements

East Rockaway is a very nice small incorporated village. I lived there for 7 years until we decided to retire to Las Vegas. I lived a few blocks in between Main St. & the Grist Mill. The only bad thing is the taxes. School taxes are extremely high and yes one of our reasons for leaving. Very convenient shopping. LIRR right next to Pathmark. If you can afford it, it's a nice place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:51 AM

12 posts, read 54,920 times
My husband and I looked at E. Rockaway and the houses are more expensive than Lynbrook. I was also told the schools in E. Rockaway are getting "better". Any other people have thoughts/experience to share about Lynbrook. I know they have a community pool. We were also considering Rockville Centre. Good school district, houses are more $$$$, have own electric and water co. (less $$) - do not have some features like no community pool for residents.

One last question: Has anyone commuted from Huntington to Manhattan (I've seen schedule --but it is that much worse than travelling from Lynbrook/RVC. What are the schools like?

Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI/Queens View Post
My husband and I looked at E. Rockaway and the houses are more expensive than Lynbrook. I was also told the schools in E. Rockaway are getting "better". Any other people have thoughts/experience to share about Lynbrook. I know they have a community pool. We were also considering Rockville Centre. Good school district, houses are more $$$$, have own electric and water co. (less $$) - do not have some features like no community pool for residents.

One last question: Has anyone commuted from Huntington to Manhattan (I've seen schedule --but it is that much worse than travelling from Lynbrook/RVC. What are the schools like?
I don't know why East Rockaway is more expensive than Lynbrook, they're nearly the same exact thing. As far as I know, Lynbrook schools are considered just as good if not better. RVC is great, but pricey like you said. If you can afford it, I don't think you'll mind the lack of public pools. I had them growing up and they were great, but having a porch and a basement would have been nicer! Huntington schools aren't bad, but aren't really on par with the prices for the area. Not really comparable to RVC or Lynbrook from what I hear. The train from Lynbrook also realistically gets to Penn in ever-so-slightly over a half hour, Huntington takes at least an hour with more frequent transfers at Jamaica.

Out of these, RVC would be my pick but Lynbrook isn't too far off. It's also a 2 minute drive or one stop train ride if you want to go out to the restaurants or bars in RVC. However, if schools/commuting weren't an issue I like Huntington better in every way.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,981 times
Default Lynbrook, RVC, East Rockaway

Quote:

Hello, so having grown up in Nassau county, work in Nassau county and recently done house hunting in some of the areas that you are discussing I am surprised to hear that you found the prices in E. Rockaway to be more than Lynbrook? One as far as school districts go Lynbrook is definitely better (check out the test scores) it is also a bigger school, East Rockaway holds 7th through 12th grade in one building and is considered a very small district (it sometimes combines athletic teams with another local High School). Rockville Centre defintely is the best district, however it is great for students that are very high achieving and very low achieving if your kid is middle of the road it can be very competitive and will also have some social pressures! Lynbrook and RVC have fenominal Train lines Lynbrook run so great especially during peak times. I have taken the train and it gets me into Penn Station in about 35 minutes! Lynbrook and East Rockaway are both Incorporated Villages (depending on which part of town you live in) RVC definitely has it's own Electricity and water which was great when we had that big black out about 8 years ago because I was out to dinner in RVC and had no idea what was going on in the rest of area! Bottom line is home is where your heart is and I think any town you pick will be great! Enjoy and best wishes to you! Oh yes community wise there is a place called Hewlett point Park (in east rockaway)which has a great pool, great little beach by the bay and a little park! All you have to do is be part of the Town of Hempstead it is like 4 dollars a day (great kids pool too!)

Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,345 times
I live in East Rockaway and I personally love it. Great schools, parks, lovely area. Excellent for families.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM

57,261 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:

Actually there is a Town of Hempstead Poll in Bay Park on the bay that you can use for a minimal fee.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I am sure by now the OP has made his decision. This is an old thread.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:52 PM

57,261 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlovestoteach View Post
Hi,
My husband and I found are looking at properties on MLS and have found a few that we like in East Rockaway. We don't know much about the area, except that it has good schools (according to online?). Can anyone offer any insight about the area?

Thanks!!!
Jen
This is a good source for comparing test scores for the different districts.
Also a good percentage of students end up going to Catholic Schools ( Chaminade, Kellenberg, Sacred Heart) after the 8th grade for Lynbrook, East Rockaway.

https://reportcards.nysed.gov/files/...0219030000.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island