Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:26 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I wasnt going to slam the area but are you out of your effing mind?
I woud take a trailer in Sound Beach over a palace in Mastic.

Sound Beach is a quaint little North Shore Beach community and has much more to offer by way of quality of life and schools.

Although it has its share of bungalows (some run down and seasonal), its the people who live in them that sets them far apart from Mastic in terms of HHI and Education. Dont get me wrong Sound Beach is the probably most blue collar community on the North Shore and it has some poverty tucked away(safely) in it. I would live there in a heart beat I wouldnt worry about locking my doors when I walked to the beach either.

Please dont mislead the board.

Sadly Mastic has become a magnet for Section 8,Level 3 sex offenders, drugs ,crime and drama.

Its a shame because the Tri Hamlet area has HUGE poential but its problem is its people. Its has a ridiculous amount of Civic Associations,all at each others throat, trying dearly to be anything other than Mastic (Tangiers, Floyd Harbor, East Yaphank Puh-Leeeeeeeeez).

Their complete inabiliy to find consensus or garner meanngful resources from their elected officials has cost them dearly over the years.

They really need to get out of their own way and start presenting a unified front to the Town of Brookhaven and hopefully they can avoid the iceberg.
crooks

ITA. You couldn't pay me to live in Mastic/Mastic Beach. Although Sound Beach can look dingy in some parts (Rocky Point too, sorry crooks) I'd feel MUCH safer there.

And FYI crooks, "East Yaphank" actually has a Shirley mailing address, the zip is 11967.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 09:25 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
ITA. You couldn't pay me to live in Mastic/Mastic Beach. Although Sound Beach can look dingy in some parts (Rocky Point too, sorry crooks) I'd feel MUCH safer there.

And FYI crooks, "East Yaphank" actually has a Shirley mailing address, the zip is 11967.
As would I, and no offense taken.

North Shore Beach and Sound Beach can be very similar in some areas, but they are both very safe and the schools are very good.

Its a taste call, some people really love the beach areas, others dont.
Winding roads, no curbs and neighboring bungalows arent for everyone.
Those folks live in The Tides, Pickwick or Oak Hills of in the case of Sound Beach, Miller Place.

Rocky Point is a quirky little town which runs from starter cottages to Waterfront estates.
We really love it out here (warts n all). Its really like nowhere else on the Island.

crooks

Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Quote:
As would I, and no offense taken.

North Shore Beach and Sound Beach can be very similar in some areas, but they are both very safe and the schools are very good.

Its a taste call, some people really love the beach areas, others dont.
Winding roads, no curbs and neighboring bungalows arent for everyone.
Those folks live in The Tides, Pickwick or Oak Hills of in the case of Sound Beach, Miller Place.

Rocky Point is a quirky little town which runs from starter cottages to Waterfront estates.
We really love it out here (warts n all). Its really like nowhere else on the Island.

crooks
How is cell phone coverage in Rocky Point? I remember during my senior year of college at Stony Brook a few of my friends rented an off campus house in Rocky Point. The cell coverage where they were was horrible, no matter what the service, and this wasn't in the early days of the cell phone either (fall 03 & Spring 04)

Old 02-09-2009, 05:53 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,751 times
You'd have a better shot with two tin cans and a string. I never had good reception, a co-worker currently lives in Mt Sinai and she said it's miserable there too. Ha!! One check in the plus column for the tri-hamlet!! J/K that one's for crooks.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
How is cell phone coverage in Rocky Point? I remember during my senior year of college at Stony Brook a few of my friends rented an off campus house in Rocky Point. The cell coverage where they were was horrible, no matter what the service, and this wasn't in the early days of the cell phone either (fall 03 & Spring 04)
Awful by design.
The community fought towers with a vengeance and "won".

You gotta remember it wasnt that long ago that Rocky Point got city water.

Verizons...no problem though.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
You'd have a better shot with two tin cans and a string. I never had good reception, a co-worker currently lives in Mt Sinai and she said it's miserable there too. Ha!! One check in the plus column for the tri-hamlet!! J/K that one's for crooks.

"Welcome to Shirley ....We have Ok Cell coverage though"

crooks

Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,718 times
Quote:
Awful by design.
The community fought towers with a vengeance and "won".

You gotta remember it wasnt that long ago that Rocky Point got city water.

Verizons...no problem though.
I, believe, VERIZON was the ONLY cell phone service to "still be up and running" before and after the 9-11 attack in this Tri-State area.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 PM

6 posts, read 28,000 times
Laugh away, Soundbeach, rocky point is just as drug ridden as anywhere else and if dont think so your kidding yourself. Soundbeach is definitely the crap neighborhood on the Northshore. Sound beach is no different from Mastic....

Old 02-10-2009, 12:10 PM

Whatever to each their own. I like Mastic and I have a beautiful home, my kids love the school as do I. My neighbors are great and friendly and my neighborhood is quiet. Thats all I can ask for,

Old 02-10-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI_Webboy View Post
I live in Shirley and while it's not the Taj Mahal, I got a nice house house at nice price. Rest assured... there are some of the elements in Mastic/Shirley that people goof on (grown men with mullets and Judas Priest jerseys, a poorly kept house here and there, and other things that will either make you laugh or blanch - depending on your outlook on things) but if you have a sense of humor about it and tend to take things in stride, you'll be ok. There are plenty of upsides to living here - esp if you fish, boat or go to the beach.

If commuting to work via train is as big a priority as your post implies, I'd check the LIRR schedule - the trains run flakey east of Babylon - and flakier still east of Patchogue. You'll want to make sure you're not spending an hour on a platform every day waiting for a transfer to get you home.
Exactly I agree with you, I also have a nice home at a nice price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island