Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:35 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Even if there were more buses on LI, no person who is mentally stable will ever ride them. They are a show on wheels
Not sure what that is supposed to mean but I would think anyone with an ounce of grey matter would prefer taking mass transit (that has its own lane or an elevated rail) over sitting in a car stuck in a traffic jam while all the morons ahead of him are gawking at someone getting pulled over or a fender bender.

If LI had a decent & reliable mass transit system, I can guarantee you more people would be taking mass transit than driving.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-28-2008 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 01:07 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,157 times
Quote:
Even if there were more buses on LI, no person who is mentally stable will ever ride them. They are a show on wheels
That isn't so at all. I rode them for years. You take the same bus everyday for a while, there are people you get to know, and have friendly conversations with. And, many of the drivers are really nice, professional, and helpful.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-28-2008 at 02:43 PM..

Old 12-27-2008, 01:39 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Not sure what that is supposed to mean but I would think anyone with an ounce of grey matter would prefer taking mass transit (that has its own lane or an elevated rail) over sitting in a car stuck in a traffic jam while all the morons ahead of him are gawking at someone getting pulled over or a fender bender.

If LI had a decent & reliable mass transit system, I can guarantee you more people would be taking mass transit than driving.

Let me know when that happens. They are cutting service and raising rates now so i don't see that happening anytime soon.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:16 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Let me know when that happens. They are cutting service and raising rates now so i don't see that happening anytime soon.
It's exactly why we need to get involved and let the politicians know that they must approve a rescue plan for the MTA. It will be cheaper to do it now than pay much more later.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:18 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
It's exactly why we need to get involved and let the politicians know that they must approve a rescue plan for the MTA. It will be cheaper to do it now than pay much more later.
What exactly do you mean by rescue plan for the MTA?

You do realize, don't you, that Long Island Transit is only a small part of the MTA??

Old 12-27-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it was going to happen. What I said was that anyone with a brain in their skull would prefer this type of mass transit over sitting in a traffic jam......

And, yeah, obviously, with all the economic problems lately, this wouldn't happen any time in the foreseeable future.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:38 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
I never took the bus in my life until one day over the summer I was stranded down by the Wantagh train station and didn't feel like walking the 2 miles or so back to my house, so I hopped on one. It was DEFINITELY worth the $2.25 and I've taken it a few times since then just for the hell of it.

Unfortunately, any time I want to I have to plan my whole day around when the buses are running....

Old 12-28-2008, 03:56 AM

44 posts, read 150,800 times
Why wouldn't a subway be possible in Nassau or Suffolk? there are already subways on Long Island (Brooklyn and Queens). Also it would be cheaper to build light rail

Old 12-28-2008, 04:30 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroy View Post
Why wouldn't a subway be possible in Nassau or Suffolk? there are already subways on Long Island (Brooklyn and Queens). Also it would be cheaper to build light rail
I don't think there's much under us to support tunnels. LI is mostly a big pile of stuff left over from glaciers.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroy View Post
The deep ground of LI isn't stable enough or deep enough to support a subway system. The structure of LI changes as you go from Qns/Bklyn out east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island