Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:31 AM

43 posts, read 180,148 times

Advertisements

How much of a discount did you get on your cell phone bill?? I priced out the Fios package, and it came out to be $20 or so more than what I pay now for cablevision. But if I can get some of that back with a discount on my cell, then it may be worth while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Cablevision Begins Beta Testing 100Mbps? - Company gearing up for latest round of fighting FiOS - dslreports.com

CableVision has a wireless network accessable by customers. It's great being at the LIRR station and connecting on my laptop. FiOS does not.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM

73 posts, read 292,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Cablevision Begins Beta Testing 100Mbps? - Company gearing up for latest round of fighting FiOS - dslreports.com

CableVision has a wireless network accessable by customers. It's great being at the LIRR station and connecting on my laptop. FiOS does not.
Internet at the train station is cool I guess but that wouldn't sway my decision much because I'm never at any particular station longer than 5-10 minutes. I get there, get on the train, and I'm out!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
the problem i have with cv, is their video has degraded year after year. They keep adding channels which leads to a crappy compressed signal. I cant wait until the fios franchise is settled in brookhaven

Old 03-28-2010, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,582 times
what is the womans name that host the fios help channel?

Old 03-28-2010, 02:00 PM

347 posts, read 1,351,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napjester666 View Post
Internet at the train station is cool I guess but that wouldn't sway my decision much because I'm never at any particular station longer than 5-10 minutes. I get there, get on the train, and I'm out!
What is great about FIOS is they give you free Wi-Fi access at all Boingo and many other hotspots - these are installed in many major airports. You get this if you're on at least a 20/5 internet plan. I use it all the time and it's very useful. You have to run their software to connect - only drawback is that you can't run it on an iPhone/iPod or any other PDA-like device.

It's really annoying flying out of MacArthur since Cablevision offers Wi-Fi and you only can use it for free for a little while (can't remember how long) if you're not a Cablevision customer.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 AM

308 posts, read 445,747 times
My wife and I switched to Fios last month, and are very happy with it.

Yesterday I got a call from cablevision trying to get us to switch back. They offered us the Triple play at 69.95 for two years, and offerd to pay up to $200 for the Verizon cancellation fee. I turned it down, it was actually an intersting conversation

cv: Can you give me a good reason not to switch back at this offer?
me: I don't want to give the Dolans any more money
cv: even if they are putting some back in your pocket?
me: How about they give it to the Knicks and Rangers, then maye they'll have a winning team.
cv: ok, thank you.
:click:

Sounds to me like lots of people are leaving CV.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:19 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromNY View Post
My wife and I switched to Fios last month, and are very happy with it.

Yesterday I got a call from cablevision trying to get us to switch back. They offered us the Triple play at 69.95 for two years, and offerd to pay up to $200 for the Verizon cancellation fee. I turned it down, it was actually an intersting conversation

cv: Can you give me a good reason not to switch back at this offer?
me: I don't want to give the Dolans any more money
cv: even if they are putting some back in your pocket?
me: How about they give it to the Knicks and Rangers, then maye they'll have a winning team.
cv: ok, thank you.
:click:

Sounds to me like lots of people are leaving CV.
And how much are their advertising campaigns bashing Verizon costing? I have to pay full price for their service so they can bribe people to come back at $70, and to pay Mr. 5 O'Clock Shadow guy to stand in front of white background and tell me that Verizon sucks. I CANNOT WAIT until Fios is available where I live.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:30 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
pay Mr. 5 O'Clock Shadow guy to stand in front of white background and tell me that Verizon sucks.
Every time that commercial came on and he said "ALL NY sports team in HD free" I wanted to throw something at the TV... He fails to mention that if all 3 hockey teams are playing on the same night (which happens fairly often), they always bump the Islanders to the "guide channel" in NON HD. Such BS.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
As a videophile, I can tell you with all certainty that the FIOS picture quality is much better. Their service better. Their channels are better. Their tech guys are better.

I pay 129 a month for the phone, TV, and internet..but that's with HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Flix..the works. There is tons of UNCOMPRESSED HD and the picture is phenominal on my 60" Pioneer.

There is no point in giving your money to the Dolans anymore unless Fios is not in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island