Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 06:12 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstatepkwy View Post
Teachers have the hardest job? On Long Island? Are you really that arrogant?

you get paid a full time salary for what amounts to a part time job

and since the graduation rate for high school students is around 66%

you deserve a D
Part time job?
I disagree greatly.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 06:26 AM

330 posts, read 888,071 times
Quote:

you deserve a D
NY state as a whole is not long island. Long island has an 85% graduation rate, get your facts straight. Only the bottom schools on long island are near state levels.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/ny...17testsli.html

Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 AM

153 posts, read 380,683 times
Someone has to kill the Golden Goose, civil serveant unions, I'm including teacher union here, are an aboration. The gap between the private and public sector has become a chasm!
  • Pensions are gone in the private sector, the financial burden for a company to fund a pension plan today would put most out of business in this global econonomy (look no further than Detroit): Meanwhile, the tax burden of public sector union retiree benfits is an anchor that grows larger every day with no end in sight.
  • COLA increases? It's been 2 decades since private sector jobs offered merit and COLA increases every year. Most are lucky to receive raises that keep up with inflation. Union raises do not reflect the raises of private sector America
  • Anyone paying for healtchare in the last ten years knows how dramatically premiums have escalated. Employers have shared some of the burden, but much has been passed on to the private sector employee. Unions requiring little or no contribution from the employees offer an enormous benefit. Of course there is no free ride, the tax payer is the subsidizer yet again.
I could fill a page of bullet points, but instead I will get the point. It is absolutely outrageous for people to be taxed on wages to fund these exhorbitant benefits that the workers being taxed do not have access too.

The net result, a private sector employee pays thousands of dollars a year in healthcare costs, and, thousands of dollars a year in taxes so his union neighbor does not have to pay healtcare costs. It's insane.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Someone has to kill the Golden Goose, civil serveant unions, I'm including teacher union here, are an aboration. The gap between the private and public sector has become a chasm!
  • Pensions are gone in the private sector, the financial burden for a company to fund a pension plan today would put most out of business in this global econonomy (look no further than Detroit): Meanwhile, the tax burden of public sector union retiree benfits is an anchor that grows larger every day with no end in sight.
  • COLA increases? It's been 2 decades since private sector jobs offered merit and COLA increases every year. Most are lucky to receive raises that keep up with inflation. Union raises do not reflect the raises of private sector America
  • Anyone paying for healtchare in the last ten years knows how dramatically premiums have escalated. Employers have shared some of the burden, but much has been passed on to the private sector employee. Unions requiring little or no contribution from the employees offer an enormous benefit. Of course there is no free ride, the tax payer is the subsidizer yet again.
I could fill a page of bullet points, but instead I will get the point. It is absolutely outrageous for people to be taxed on wages to fund these exhorbitant benefits that the workers being taxed do not have access too.

The net result, a private sector employee pays thousands of dollars a year in healthcare costs, and, thousands of dollars a year in taxes so his union neighbor does not have to pay healtcare costs. It's insane.
I don't know about all unions, but my wife is a teacher and we pay thousands of dollars in healthcare costs..actually more than I would through my employer, but the coverage is better, so we use hers. I know Suffolk and Nassau Police $0 towards healthcare, but I don't think that's the case with all teachers in the area.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't know about all unions, but my wife is a teacher and we pay thousands of dollars in healthcare costs..actually more than I would through my employer, but the coverage is better, so we use hers. I know Suffolk and Nassau Police $0 towards healthcare, but I don't think that's the case with all teachers in the area.

Most employees in districts pay around 15-20% of the cost, pretty much on par with private sector. Health care benefits is not a good arguing point, see link below.

Additionally, people like to cite the pension ... when looking at the hard data its an average of about 7,000 extra per year per person. Here is the data
http://www.lischooltax.com/06-7BenComp.pdf

That is not so exorbitant and is in place of salary matching for 401k plans, granted it does outperform a 401k match in most scenarios and is a nice benefit. People also forget that teachers pay a percentage of their salary into the pension, which seems small to some but its like social security except it works. The number of teachers working and paying into the system is larger than the number pulling out of the system so it ends up putting a lot of money in. The NYS teachers retirement system is one of the best funded in country for any pension system, look it up.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 AM

153 posts, read 380,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
The NYS teachers retirement system is one of the best funded in country for any pension system, look it up.
Indeed it is, with the majority of funding coming from the employer, i.e., the taxpayer.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Indeed it is, with the majority of funding coming from the employer, i.e., the taxpayer.
Actually what this means is that some years when market returns are favorable there are very little employer contributions as the 100 billion dollar principle gains a lot on its investments, from 2000-2003 there were near zero contributions. Obviously these go up and down based on market conditions, but its not some 20-30% of salary that some seem to make it out to be, rather average around 5-6%. In states like NJ that have a pension system underwater, there are serious problems in funding.

Learning Abount NYSTRS | Library | NYS Teachers' Retirement System

Old 04-14-2009, 03:00 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,226 times
Quote:

you deserve a D
Wow, why even post when you can't get your facts straight? Where on LI do schools have even close to 66% graduation rate? Most LI districts are above 90% graduation.

Also part-time job???? Are you kidding...teachers work long hours just like everybody else.

yeah, I guess the D is for dedication, because my school had over 96% passing all Regents and over 80% of kids getting 3 or better on AP exams. What terrible statistics. lol

Your post gave me a good laugh. How ignorant.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:45 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Actually what this means is that some years when market returns are favorable there are very little employer contributions

Yes, that's very true. I did not realize that until after I retired and I went to a Teachers' Retirement meeting & they discussed how it worked.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-19-2009, 05:44 AM

4 posts, read 9,001 times
I dont understand how teaching jobs nationwide can be considered an "Underpaid" career, yet here on Long Island many teachers get paid more than VERY specialized talent in our private sector (Not too mention terrible medical and no pensions in private sector). When you also factor in the ammount of days off the average person in the private sector recieves vs. a teacher, it becomes even more mind-boggling? I can understand why the teachers in this forum are posting such nasty and aggressive responses (Because they want to keep these salaries and perks), but time to face realtiy folks, you are no better than the rest of the teachers in this great nation, your compensation should fall in line. You are GROSSLY overpaid on Long Island compared to the national market as well as proportional to the actual days you work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island