Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the East/West Line for LI?
Rt. 135 2 3.17%
Rt. 110 20 31.75%
Rt. 112 19 30.16%
Wm Floyd Parkway. 22 34.92%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 07:16 AM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

I grew up on Long Island and have more or less lived here since the (very) late forties . Of course, almost all of Long Island was bucolic then. Jericho Turnpike was always my favorite road to drive on at night as a child because there were actually lighted up stores ~~ soooo exciting ~~ neon
instead of those ubiquitous boring farms (now I would give anything to see those beautiful farms, even the smelly cabbage ones that we would avoid on our bikes. ).

I have always thought that the Riverhead forks signaled the East, but we were driving from Setauket rather than closer in so that could be why. But, in the Hagstrom's smaller map books, I believe Wading River is when you need to buy the new Eastern Long Island map book.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-25-2012 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 07:22 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
New york what?

Old 12-25-2012, 09:02 AM

149 posts, read 360,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I grew up on Long Island and have more or less lived here since the (very) late forties . Of course, almost all of Long Island was bucolic then. Jericho Turnpike was always my favorite road to drive on at night as a child because there were actually lighted up stores ~~ soooo exciting ~~ neon
instead of those ubiquitous boring farms (now I would give anything to see those beautiful farms, even the smelly cabbage ones that we would avoid on our bikes. ).

I have always thought that the Riverhead forks signaled the East, but we were driving from Setauket rather than closer in so that could be why. But, in the Hagstrom's smaller map books, I believe Wading River is when you need to buy the new Eastern Long Island map book.
I understand it's all relative and I too considered "out east" to mean Riverhead and points east growing up in the Sayville area. What many people don't realize is that towns like Sayville, Bayport, etc. are actually closer to Massapequa than Riverhead in terms of miles. I believe it's 28 miles to Riverhead and 26 to Massapequa. Although they are essentially equidistant, there is some strange common belief that towns in the high 50's, low 60's LIE areas are somehow right next door to Riverhead. In other words, people will readily agree that Sayville is near Riverhead, yet those same people would say that Sayville is far from Massapequa. It makes no sense because Massapequa is actually closer. I think it's the whole Nassau mentality where they want to be elitist and seem so distant from Central Suffolk county even though they are a mere 25-30 minutes away. By talking to people in Nassau you would think Central Suffolk is 100 miles away in some vast wastelands. In my opinion, it takes way longer going from south to north or vice versa than east to west or vice versa. For example, from Sayville it took me 45 minutes to get to Port Jefferson a few times. If I had spent that same amount of time going straight west, I would just be getting into Queens on a low traffic day or at least in the Garden City area.

The reason I hate when people say "oh, so you live out east?" is because the term "out east" almost always is used to refer to the east end, namely Riverhead and points east. I have literally had people in Deer Park tell me I lived so far away. Deer Park is an easy 20 minute ride. Most people's commutes take well longer than that. I know someone from Oakdale who always goes "out east" to Riverhead and beyond for wine tasting, pumpkin picking, etc. Whenever I talk about somewhere in eastern Nassau i.e. Plainview, Bethpage, Massapequa, etc., she says "Oh my god that's so far!". When I point out that they are essentially the same distance as when she goes "out east" she doesn't seem to get it. I really think it would clear a lot of things up if we had 3 counties. Suffolk is GIGANTIC compared to Nassau and perhaps that's why Nassau people live under a rock and don't realize that from Patchogue you can still go 70 miles east. Leave Nassau from the Queens border to right before Melville. Suffolk from Melville to about Mastic or Shirley, and everything east of that should be its own county because it really has nothing in common with the rest of Suffolk.

It gets so annoying that I sometimes just want to tell people I'm from Mineola or Garden City just to shut them up about the whole "out east" thing. People exaggerate how far it is from Nassau to Central Suffolk, yet they exaggerate how close it is from Central Suffolk to Riverhead and points east.

Did you know?
-Sayville is about 45 miles from East New York, Brooklyn and about 55 miles from Greenport? Many of you probably assumed that Sayville was much closer to Greenport than Brooklyn but the opposite is true.

-From Central Suffolk to Riverhead is the same distance as Central Suffolk to Nassau.

-From Bayport to Hampton Bays is the same distance as Bayport to Hicksville.

-It takes longer to get from Bayport to Miller Place than from Bayport to Lindenhurst (nearly in Nassau).

-From Sayville to Southampton is the same distance as Sayville to JFK Airport

-Sayville is the same distance to Freeport as it is to Riverhead.

Central Suffolk is NOT "out east". It's exactly halfway between the Hamptons and NYC.

Last edited by LINY89; 12-25-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 12-25-2012, 02:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Define 'Central Suffolk' using community names. IMHO central Suffolk is the communities bordering the LIE from the Nassau/Suffolk line out to Riverhead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINY89 View Post
I understand it's all relative and I too considered "out east" to mean Riverhead and points east growing up in the Sayville area. What many people don't realize is that towns like Sayville, Bayport, etc. are actually closer to Massapequa than Riverhead in terms of miles. I believe it's 28 miles to Riverhead and 26 to Massapequa. Although they are essentially equidistant, there is some strange common belief that towns in the high 50's, low 60's LIE areas are somehow right next door to Riverhead. In other words, people will readily agree that Sayville is near Riverhead, yet those same people would say that Sayville is far from Massapequa. It makes no sense because Massapequa is actually closer. I think it's the whole Nassau mentality where they want to be elitist and seem so distant from Central Suffolk county even though they are a mere 25-30 minutes away. By talking to people in Nassau you would think Central Suffolk is 100 miles away in some vast wastelands. In my opinion, it takes way longer going from south to north or vice versa than east to west or vice versa. For example, from Sayville it took me 45 minutes to get to Port Jefferson a few times. If I had spent that same amount of time going straight west, I would just be getting into Queens on a low traffic day or at least in the Garden City area.

The reason I hate when people say "oh, so you live out east?" is because the term "out east" almost always is used to refer to the east end, namely Riverhead and points east. I have literally had people in Deer Park tell me I lived so far away. Deer Park is an easy 20 minute ride. Most people's commutes take well longer than that. I know someone from Oakdale who always goes "out east" to Riverhead and beyond for wine tasting, pumpkin picking, etc. Whenever I talk about somewhere in eastern Nassau i.e. Plainview, Bethpage, Massapequa, etc., she says "Oh my god that's so far!". When I point out that they are essentially the same distance as when she goes "out east" she doesn't seem to get it. I really think it would clear a lot of things up if we had 3 counties. Suffolk is GIGANTIC compared to Nassau and perhaps that's why Nassau people live under a rock and don't realize that from Patchogue you can still go 70 miles east. Leave Nassau from the Queens border to right before Melville. Suffolk from Melville to about Mastic or Shirley, and everything east of that should be its own county because it really has nothing in common with the rest of Suffolk.

It gets so annoying that I sometimes just want to tell people I'm from Mineola or Garden City just to shut them up about the whole "out east" thing. People exaggerate how far it is from Nassau to Central Suffolk, yet they exaggerate how close it is from Central Suffolk to Riverhead and points east.

Did you know?
-Sayville is about 45 miles from East New York, Brooklyn and about 55 miles from Greenport? Many of you probably assumed that Sayville was much closer to Greenport than Brooklyn but the opposite is true.

-From Central Suffolk to Riverhead is the same distance as Central Suffolk to Nassau.

-From Bayport to Hampton Bays is the same distance as Bayport to Hicksville.

-It takes longer to get from Bayport to Miller Place than from Bayport to Lindenhurst (nearly in Nassau).

-From Sayville to Southampton is the same distance as Sayville to JFK Airport

-Sayville is the same distance to Freeport as it is to Riverhead.

Central Suffolk is NOT "out east". It's exactly halfway between the Hamptons and NYC.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Define 'Central Suffolk' using community names. IMHO central Suffolk is the communities bordering the LIE from the Nassau/Suffolk line out to Riverhead.
I'd say Central Suffolk is like East Islip to Medford ish.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Your huge rants in this thread beg a very important question...

"Who cares?"
Who cares? A ton of people. When everyone you meet asks you where you are from only to hear "Omg you live sooooooo far wayyyy out east!" even if they are only 20 min away it wears on you. It happens so much it's almost like it's a practical joke.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:34 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Who cares? A ton of people. When everyone you meet asks you where you are from only to hear "Omg you live sooooooo far wayyyy out east!" even if they are only 20 min away it wears on you. It happens so much it's almost like it's a practical joke.
Sounds like you need to stop living so far out east, man.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you need to stop living so far out east, man.

Only problem is I live in central LI, not eastern. I'm exactly 40 miles from the NYC border and 40 miles from the Hamptons.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:44 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,440 times
Quote:
Only problem is I live in central LI, not eastern. I'm exactly 40 miles from the NYC border and 40 miles from the Hamptons.
That's way out east though, man.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
That's way out east though, man.

Maps are objective. Seek one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island