Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 03:39 PM

8 posts, read 65,274 times

Advertisements

My finacee and I are thinking about purchasing a home in RVC. I've read a lot of good things about the town in this forum. I do have a couple of specific questions.

Are there any areas that people should stay away from? I know from a previous post that all areas seem to be really nice, but just curious to ask again for more opinions. Is Hempstead Avenue, around the Links Golf Course area, really busy? There is a home on this road that we're thinking about.

How is the parking weekday mornings for the LIRR? Is there a parking lot for residents and if so, how quickly does it fill up?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Rockville Centre

pattylung, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

For those who may not be familiar with Rockville Centre:

Rockville Centre is a village (incorporated in 1893) in the center of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Rockville Centre in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Lakeview and the Hamlet of South Hempstead; on the east by the Hamlet of South Hempstead and the Hamlet of Baldwin; on the south by the Hamlet of Oceanside; and, on the west by the Village of East Rockaway, the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Lakeview.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Rockville-centre-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Tthe Village of Rockville Centre has a different border than does the "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address and not be in the Village of Rockville Centre): most of these places that have a "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address that are not in the Village of Rockville Centre are in the Village of Lynbrook and the Hamlet of Lakeview.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 04-06-2009, 07:57 AM

177 posts, read 893,202 times
We live in RVC but park in the lot in Baldwin to catch the LIRR. We're equidistant to both stations but in RVC, you need to pay for a permit to park in the lot. That doesn't guarantee a spot - there aren't a ton of spaces. Baldwin has two free lots - one on Sunrise Highway and one that runs along the back of the tracks the block behind. As we normally take the 7:32 which makes Freeport, Baldwin and RVC as the only stops to Penn Station, you stand a much better chance of getting a seat by catching the train in Baldwin.

RVC is a great town - the utilities are very dependable and inexpensive, there are lots of things to do. We bought our house 7 years ago and we're very happy here. Good luck!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattylung View Post
Are there any areas that people should stay away from? I know from a previous post that all areas seem to be really nice, but just curious to ask again for more opinions. Is Hempstead Avenue, around the Links Golf Course area, really busy? There is a home on this road that we're thinking about.
the main area to avoid is between sunrise and lakeview around centre ave. (north of King Kullen).

Hempsted Ave. is in fact a relatively "busy" road...it's one of the main North/South routes through the area along with N. Village and Long Beach Road.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 65,274 times
Thanks for all the information so far. The tidbit about the Baldwin parking lots for the LIRR is extremely helpful. I have a few follow up questions

There are a few houses we looked at that are in the RVC school district that are outside the incorporated village of RVC boundaries. Specifically, I am referring to the South Hempstead area. It is my understanding that the homes will have RVC mailing address, but won't be considered RVC for other purposes. I am aware of the following consequences of owning a home in this area.

1. You won't be able to apply for a RVC parking permit to park at the lots for the LIRR. This seemingly can be worked around by parking at the free lots in Baldwin.

2. You won't have RVC electric. From what I've heard, RVC electric is about half the cost of LIPA.

Is there anything else that is important to consider if moving to a RVC mailing address home outside of the RVC incorporated village?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:54 PM

177 posts, read 893,202 times
I'm not sure about a house in the S. Hempstead area. We have a RVC address but Oceanside school district as we're close to the border (which is fine, as I grew up in Oceanside). We do have RVC electric and water. The utilities are definitely much cheaper and highly dependable. A few years ago when we had the huge power outage, RVC didn't lose power. They only implemented a 30 minute rolling brown out, since they have their own generators.

Maybe check the RVC website? They might be able to answer your questions. The people at village hall are helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island