Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:48 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Almost, actually, I think every sale contract I've seen has been the standard form kind you can download off the internet or buy at an office supply store.
Any changes are just penciled in, or crossed out, and intialed.
As long as the lawyer-less buyer or seller knows exactly what to change, that might work. But as far as legal matters go, I usually put them into the same category as electrical work and surgery, which is: "Don't try this at home, kids".

Of course lawyers aren't immune to spectacular goofs either. The contract of sale my nephew originally received had an interesting line in the mortgage contingency clause: "If buyer fails to qualify for a mortgage, buyer shall still be required to proceed with the sale." (!!!!!!!!) My nephew's $1200-fee lawyer COMPLETELY MISSED that being in there. I caught it when I looked the contract over myself at my nephew's request before he signed it. Called his attorney myself to inform him of what he had failed to correct before handing the contract to his client for signature. Response? "Hm, I guess I did miss that." (!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island