Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 06:53 PM

330 posts, read 889,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Please note that I posted nothing on the teacher's pay discussion. No double standard. Every time there's a discussion on teacher pay, it eventually degenerates to a cop-bashing forum. And it's usually started by someone who has a gripe with cops (other than pay issues.)
On prior teacher pay discussions, when someone mentions cops, your id seems to pop up saying, 'stick to the teachers' ... then in the thread from august about cops, you repeatedly referenced the teachers even though the discussion was about cops, so you were the one drawing the teachers into the discussion. In that prior thread, you say if we are going to talk taxes we have to talk teachers too, but it seems when the reverse happens and a teacher basing thread says if we are going to talk taxes then we have to mention cops too you denounce it. That's what I am taking about.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM

60 posts, read 58,390 times
Quote:
You really should check your facts before you start posting what you think you know. Cops work more hours than teachers. Their days are longer (either 9 or 12 hour shifts vs 7 hours.) And they're not off 3 months a year( including summers, Christmas, winter and Easter breaks.) Come back again when you've got accurate information.
Police get how many paid holidays? And how many weeks vacation...6? And how many sick days?? And how many "chart days"? And what about the 5 days on, 2 days off, 5 days on, 3 days off? In terms of pure base hours (not overtime pay or holiday pay), cops work a little more than teachers. It's a hidden fact that police have a significant amount of time off, as they should given the nature of the job. My contention is they shouldn't be paid the ridiculous salary in addition to all the time off and benefits. When is enough going to be enough??

Old 04-26-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
On prior teacher pay discussions, when someone mentions cops, your id seems to pop up saying, 'stick to the teachers' ... then in the thread from august about cops, you repeatedly referenced the teachers even though the discussion was about cops, so you were the one drawing the teachers into the discussion. In that prior thread, you say if we are going to talk taxes we have to talk teachers too, but it seems when the reverse happens and a teacher basing thread says if we are going to talk taxes then we have to mention cops too you denounce it. That's what I am taking about.
Pay no attention to this guy. He has a bias towards cops, understandably, and he's unable to debate on facts alone because he knows the facts show the LI police are paid ridiculously for policing an area with favorable demographics and therefore less crime.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:15 AM

939 posts, read 1,847,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
Pay no attention to this guy. He has a bias towards cops, understandably, and he's unable to debate on facts alone because he knows the facts show the LI police are paid ridiculously for policing an area with favorable demographics and therefore less crime.
I have yet to see you debate any facts about anything. Your posts consist of opinions. A sentence that includes "...because he knows the facts show the LI police are paid ridiculously ..." not only shows a bias, but an agenda. That's not a discussion ... it's a rant. You've already made up your mind. Prove your statements.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I have yet to see you debate any facts about anything. Your posts consist of opinions. A sentence that includes "...because he knows the facts show the LI police are paid ridiculously ..." not only shows a bias, but an agenda. That's not a discussion ... it's a rant. You've already made up your mind. Prove your statements.
Police get how many paid holidays? And how many weeks vacation...6? And how many sick days?? And how many "chart days"? And what about the 5 days on, 2 days off, 5 days on, 3 days off? In terms of pure base hours (not overtime pay or holiday pay), cops work a little more than teachers. It's a hidden fact that police have a significant amount of time off, as they should given the nature of the job. My contention is they shouldn't be paid the ridiculous salary in addition to all the time off and benefits. When is enough going to be enough??

Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,310,474 times
Regarding the article you linked too....it is interesting in one sense that yes, Long Island is pricing out many residents, no doubt about it, and this topic has been poured over in thread after thread after thread (cops, teachers, town goverment, etc). The irony in some of the profiles they provide are that Long Island's cost of living also made their glorious move possible. When you own a home in Head of the Harbor, you benefit from being in a million dollar neighborhood and the subsequent windfall from selling...and a retired school teacher to boot. When you sell in Huntington and take it south, you benefit as well. And then you have the woman from Queens who "felt like" she lived on Long Island, and can't afford to live here...how does an article touting domestic migration from Nassau/Suffolk include a profile of a woman who "felt like" she lived here...Newsday is quite an editorial masterpiece. And as for the truck driver with limited education, LI is absolutely a tough place to be, particularly in that situation. That would go for the entire Northeast on balance. I am not debating the high cost of living, I suppose I am simply bashing another Newsday article that falls flat...

Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,168,776 times
As a postal worker I can honestly tell you that we don't make enough.All overtime has been cut because of temporary workers so base salary for someone just starting is in the 40's and a person who has the maximum amount of years in is making under 60 without OT.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 AM

939 posts, read 1,847,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
You simply repeated what you posted last night. What's your point? Your facts are not accurate. You've grabbed some headline numbers without knowing what they mean or how they're applied and you've decided to run with them. Again, your belief that the salaries are "ridiculous" doesn't make it so. That's simply your opinion.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
You simply repeated what you posted last night. What's your point? Your facts are not accurate. You've grabbed some headline numbers without knowing what they mean or how they're applied and you've decided to run with them. Again, your belief that the salaries are "ridiculous" doesn't make it so. That's simply your opinion.
If the facts aren't right, dispute the days off I mentioned... if you can officer

Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,310,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
As a postal worker I can honestly tell you that we don't make enough.All overtime has been cut because of temporary workers so base salary for someone just starting is in the 40's and a person who has the maximum amount of years in is making under 60 without OT.
Is it true that the Post Office has increased this process of hiring one-year temps, delying benefits until the year is complete, and then letting them go in the 11th month? I have heard this is common practice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island