Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,200,155 times

Advertisements

Id like to go on the record as saying I have noticed SCPD upping its game lately.
Theyve been ultra courteous, cautious and responsive of late.

All BS, salaries and non binding arbitration aside.

Keep up the good work.

Crooks

Old 04-27-2009, 02:12 PM

13,517 posts, read 17,068,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Id like to go on the record as saying I have noticed SCPD upping its game lately.
Theyve been ultra courteous, cautious and responsive of late.

All BS, salaries and non binding arbitration aside.

Keep up the good work.

Crooks
I've never had anything but positive dealings with them. I don't have any issue with them being paid well or their professionalism, although I wonder how 3 of them could be parked in BJ's parking lot for 30 minutes without budging 2 Saturday's ago, but I digress.

I just think that it isn't the taxpayers responsibility to compensate them twice the median family income. I know that certain unabashed defenders of the shield on this forum can't FATHOM that anyone who criticizes police pay actually might not have a grudge against cops..( I don't), but, that's to be expected from those who want the gravy train to ramble on.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:40 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,200,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I've never had anything but positive dealings with them. I don't have any issue with them being paid well or their professionalism, although I wonder how 3 of them could be parked in BJ's parking lot for 30 minutes without budging 2 Saturday's ago, but I digress.

I just think that it isn't the taxpayers responsibility to compensate them twice the median family income. I know that certain unabashed defenders of the shield on this forum can't FATHOM that anyone who criticizes police pay actually might not have a grudge against cops..( I don't), but, that's to be expected from those who want the gravy train to ramble on.

Its really all about what the market will bear and not the quality of the officers.

Crooks

Old 04-27-2009, 05:42 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,172,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Is it true that the Post Office has increased this process of hiring one-year temps, delying benefits until the year is complete, and then letting them go in the 11th month? I have heard this is common practice?
The new contract is for hiring TE's (transitional employees).They are allowed to be hired for 2 year terms and the point in question is how many consecutive terms.Right now we are in the process of putting machines in that sort magazines based on addresses which will limit the carriers time in the office. When all the machines go in the TE's supposedly will be let go. Until then though,there will be no or very limited overtime.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:46 AM

939 posts, read 1,847,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
If the facts aren't right, dispute the days off I mentioned... if you can officer
You started this thread. Anything that I might post about your so-called "facts" will be derided and dismissed by you. How about YOU do some research and find the correct information. Until then, you're simply wrong.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:02 AM

60 posts, read 58,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
You started this thread. Anything that I might post about your so-called "facts" will be derided and dismissed by you. How about YOU do some research and find the correct information. Until then, you're simply wrong.
So you say I'm wrong but refuse to provide any evidence refuting what I said. Yep, definitely looks like the white flag has been raised.

The fact is the PBA and the cops themselves have been very tight lipped about all of the days off and additional perks the cops get. When you look at police salaries by themselves, nothing looks out of whack. However when you add in the free pension and healthcare, job security, and all of the days off the SCPD and NCPD get... it becomes crystal clear that we tax payers are paying into a welfare program to support the upper middle class lifestyle of robots with GEDS.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:37 PM

939 posts, read 1,847,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
So you say I'm wrong but refuse to provide any evidence refuting what I said. Yep, definitely looks like the white flag has been raised.

The fact is the PBA and the cops themselves have been very tight lipped about all of the days off and additional perks the cops get. When you look at police salaries by themselves, nothing looks out of whack. However when you add in the free pension and healthcare, job security, and all of the days off the SCPD and NCPD get... it becomes crystal clear that we tax payers are paying into a welfare program to support the upper middle class lifestyle of robots with GEDS.
I don't have to prove or disprove anything to you. You post what you think are facts. They are not. Do your research before you run your mouth off (I believe that someone else has also given you that advice.)

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. No one is tight lipped about anything. Police contracts are a matter of public record. Find the correct information before you post something you swear is gospel. All of this is your very uninformed opinion ... and nothing else.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 AM

60 posts, read 58,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
I don't have to prove or disprove anything to you. You post what you think are facts. They are not. Do your research before you run your mouth off (I believe that someone else has also given you that advice.)

Again, you have no idea what you're talking about. No one is tight lipped about anything. Police contracts are a matter of public record. Find the correct information before you post something you swear is gospel. All of this is your very uninformed opinion ... and nothing else.
Police contracts are NOT public record. Post a link with the NCPD's latest contract. You are the one making allegations but refusing to back them up with facts.

FACT: NCPD gets 6 weeks vacation
FACT: NCPD gets a significant amount of "chart days"
FACT: NCPD gets more holidays off than private sector employees
FACT: NCPD banks sick time for a golden parachuse upon retirement
FACT: NCPD uses overtime to add to their salary for pension calculations
FACT: NCPD banks vacation time with no cap for a golden parachute upon retirement
FACT: NCPD straight time hours worked is approximately 1500 - if a cop takes all 6 weeks of his vacation and doesn't work any overtime or holidays, said cop is working less than a teacher.
FACT: NCPD is the biggest racket on long island

Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 AM

153 posts, read 381,170 times
Straight from The NCPD Recruiting web page:

SALARY & BENEFITS
( subject to change )
  • <LI class=style1>$34,000 Annual Starting Salary <LI class=style1>$91,737 after 8 years <LI class=style1>12% Night Differential <LI class=style1>*These salaries do not include overtime earnings, shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance. <LI class=style1>10 paid holidays annually for the first two years increasing to 12 thereafter 18-26 sick days annually
  • Health/Dental/Optical Plan premiums fully paid by Nassau County
  • 20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement
  • Tax Deferred Payroll Deducted Savings Plan (457 Deferred Compensation Plan)

Nassau County Police Department

Can someone post a private sector recruiting link, any discipline, that offers anything remotely as lucrative as this deal?

Forget about the OT bloated salaries, how much does it cost to fund this. Certainly more than any private company could bear:

Health/Dental/Optical Plan premiums fully paid by Nassau County
20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement

I plant my face in my palms everytime I hear the aargument that the expense is justified because of the high cost of living in the areas they serve. This outlandish amount of tax spending is why the area is so overpriced in the first place. Cut taxes in half, comp civil servants with a fair wage and benefits package. We all benefit and sanity is restored.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,172,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Straight from The NCPD Recruiting web page:

SALARY & BENEFITS

( subject to change )
  • <LI class=style1>$34,000 Annual Starting Salary <LI class=style1>$91,737 after 8 years <LI class=style1>12% Night Differential <LI class=style1>*These salaries do not include overtime earnings, shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance. <LI class=style1>10 paid holidays annually for the first two years increasing to 12 thereafter 18-26 sick days annually
  • Health/Dental/Optical Plan premiums fully paid by Nassau County
  • 20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement
  • Tax Deferred Payroll Deducted Savings Plan (457 Deferred Compensation Plan)

Nassau County Police Department

Can someone post a private sector recruiting link, any discipline, that offers anything remotely as lucrative as this deal?

Forget about the OT bloated salaries, how much does it cost to fund this. Certainly more than any private company could bear:

Health/Dental/Optical Plan premiums fully paid by Nassau County
20 Year Non-Contributory 50% Retirement

I plant my face in my palms everytime I hear the aargument that the expense is justified because of the high cost of living in the areas they serve. This outlandish amount of tax spending is why the area is so overpriced in the first place. Cut taxes in half, comp civil servants with a fair wage and benefits package. We all benefit and sanity is restored.
The postal service gets nothing near this and our benefits are not even close to being fully funded.For a family plan I pay about $225/month plus whatever copays and the counties and federal government only pay in a limited amount for 401k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island