Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
If that was your first bill then you may be in for a very expensive and unexpected shock. Usually the first months bill will seem relatively inexpensive. This is because the electric company actually checks your meter every other month. The other months are guesstimates.

You can arrange to check the meter and call it in on the 15th of those months. When I moved into my place it was like 50 bucks.

The next month it was 530. After a few months it balanced out. My bill this month was 179 and I have approx 3200 square feet.

Be careful
Wow, 530 ????? amazing. Whats up with the 3200 feet though ? Do you have electric heat, or just more light bulbs and electronics to fill up the house that increase your bills ?
My bill was for 2 weeks but I was not occupying the house for a week, so I figured its for just a weeks worth of usage. I'm still scared after what you mentioned, thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:54 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Wow, 530 ????? amazing. Whats up with the 3200 feet though ? Do you have electric heat, or just more light bulbs and electronics to fill up the house that increase your bills ?
My bill was for 2 weeks but I was not occupying the house for a week, so I figured its for just a weeks worth of usage. I'm still scared after what you mentioned, thanks for the heads up.
Since LIPA uses balanced billing and check ACTUAL usage every two months I owed money. Eventually it balances out but until it does your bills will be low to high.

I have 2 zone gas heat and Central air. The water heater is gas. I use indoor flood style lights for the recessed lighting and a few big screens. I don't use the "green" style bulbs. Many people don't realize how dangerous they are. They contain Mercury and if they break they produce a vapor cloud which is very dangerous to inhale, especially for children. A lot of the World trade center debris contained mercury from lights and computers.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:08 PM

Ok, I got the "Actual reading" bill today and its $193 for the past 2 months.
Its much lower than I thought. But I guess in the summers it will kick up with the A/C....

At the end of the day I guess my average oil + electric + water + sewers will be around $350 per month for the entire year.... thats some money I have to shell out !!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:38 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Mine seems to be leveling out around $140 a month recently, give or take a buck or 2. Sometimes 3.

I'm not sure of the squares, but it's a 4 bed cape. And a heavily used garage/workshop/studio. My bill is usually higher in the winter because I only have electric heat in the garage. I tough it out in the summer with the shop though, I open the doors/windows and use a fan. I'll only use the a/c in the studio when I'm actually in there. In the summer we only really use the a/c at night, so the difference isn't as dramatic as it is in the winter. Most people get clobbered with the cooling cost during the summer, but we love the heat and hate the cold. So we are kinda upside down with that.

I have all flourescant bulbs. Not even a single incandescant bulb to be found.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
but we love the heat and hate the cold. So we are kinda upside down with that.
I am totally like that. A better solution would be to move South, which I plan to do one day !!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I am totally like that. A better solution would be to move South, which I plan to do one day !!
We're going. Hopefully sooner than later!
Forget about the normal LI bashing and complaints, I just cannot tolerate the cold anymore, physically, emotionally, or financially!
I'll take thick barely breathable ultra humid 85+ degrees any day over this winter and snow crap.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 PM

148 posts, read 475,461 times
2br condo w/ electric water heater that we insolated, tons of computer equipment left on 24/7, and an electric dryer = 177 per month balanced billing thank you LIPA

Old 02-11-2010, 06:04 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
1500 sq. foot split level. No central AC, use a wall unit in the bedroom at night and a small window unit in the home office set to low/mid-70s. Oil heat and hot water via programmable thermostat that drops the temp to 60 while we're sleeping and during the day when no one is home. CFL throughout except a few hi-hats, sorry, they haven't gotten the dimmable CFLs down right yet. High-pressure sodium lamp in the backyard runs from dusk till dawn. 20w porch lamp and motion-activated driveway lights.

Five computers in the house, one of which is a file server that runs 24/7 and another one to handle file sharing; the others are typically off unless being used and my wife and I are gone during the day. Widescreen LCD TV and home theater equipment is on from 7:30pm - 10pm daily. Electric clothes dryer, but we set it for "dewrinkle" mode and then hang the damp clothes in the basement to dry fully (bonus: extends life of clothes).

Spring and fall, we pay $100-$110 per month. Summer, around $175. Winter, around $150 (oil burners do draw some AC to run the fans, pumps, etc.).

Old 02-11-2010, 11:20 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Forget about the normal LI bashing and complaints, I just cannot tolerate the cold anymore, physically, emotionally, or financially!
I'll take thick barely breathable ultra humid 85+ degrees any day over this winter and snow crap.
Go to Houston !

Old 02-12-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Go to Houston !
Quote:
My friend is moving there in March, want a ride ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island