Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 13,403 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I'm purchasing a home in Nassau County and obviously need to get homeowner's insurance. Since LI seems to have been blacklisted by most of the major insurance companies, who refuse to issue new policies since it is a "coastal area" what companies do people recommend? Also, a bonus if the company doesn't discriminate against German Shepherds.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:37 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,174 times
Mitchell Blecker Nationwide. Talk to Eric, very nice and realistic. (631) 588-1750. Helped me out a bunch, insures me my parents.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:40 AM

125 posts, read 440,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max641 View Post
Hi -

Since LI seems to have been blacklisted by most of the major insurance companies, who refuse to issue new policies since it is a "coastal area" what companies do people recommend?
Can you give more information about this? We just had our home mortgage loan application rejected by the PMI people, and so lost the loan. They gave a really confusing explanation, that the appraisal did not have acceptable comparisons...What's going on?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:46 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,343,309 times
Removed due to confusing the posters question with the subject.

Last edited by thebobs; 06-09-2009 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM

The appraisal and the insurance would be two different things. If PMI was involved you were likely putting down less than 20% which can create more hurdles to go through. If the appraisal did not have acceptable comparisons it is likely that the bank (appraiser) couldn't find recent (last 3 months) sales of the same type of house (colonial, ranch, etc) in the neighborhood that would imply your purchase was worth what you were paying. ie, if you were paying $400k but recent sales indicated that the property was more likely worth $350k the bank would require you put more money down to ensure there is some minimal equity in the house. Your real estate broker should be able to explain all of this to you.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Nationwide won't write new policies on LI - they farm it out to some of their partners. Thanks for the thought.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM

125 posts, read 440,704 times
Quote:
The appraisal and the insurance would be two different things. If PMI was involved you were likely putting down less than 20% which can create more hurdles to go through. If the appraisal did not have acceptable comparisons it is likely that the bank (appraiser) couldn't find recent (last 3 months) sales of the same type of house (colonial, ranch, etc) in the neighborhood that would imply your purchase was worth what you were paying. ie, if you were paying $400k but recent sales indicated that the property was more likely worth $350k the bank would require you put more money down to ensure there is some minimal equity in the house. Your real estate broker should be able to explain all of this to you.
This is exactly what was explained to us by the bank. (Are you with HSBC? j/k) The RE agent said he's never heard of a loan being rejected by PMI. Don't want to get off-topic b/c I am interested in knowing more about this insurance issue on LI, but do you think asking for a lower price on the house would help? The bank won't tell us anything. And you're right, we did put down less than 20%. First time homebuyers, and about to give up...

Last edited by ambralita; 06-09-2009 at 12:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 01:03 PM

I'm certainly no pro in this arena but did enough research and asked enough questions. I'd recommend getting a better real estate agent going forward, but you likely have 2 options: 1) put down more money - I assume you can't afford to or don't want to do this or 2) re-negotiate the price with the seller as they may now have a similar problem if they encounter another buyer wishing to put down less than 20% or a buyer that won't buy for more than the house's appraisal value.

Re the insurance - allstate, state farm, nationwide won't write new policies on LI because their liabilities in LI and NYC have to be capped at some amount. Therefore people seeking new policies have to go to smaller companies or have the policy brokered through one of the big boys. I just got a quote back through nationwide's partners that was absolutely absurd. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:50 AM

270 posts, read 969,919 times
Quote:
I'm certainly no pro in this arena but did enough research and asked enough questions. I'd recommend getting a better real estate agent going forward, but you likely have 2 options: 1) put down more money - I assume you can't afford to or don't want to do this or 2) re-negotiate the price with the seller as they may now have a similar problem if they encounter another buyer wishing to put down less than 20% or a buyer that won't buy for more than the house's appraisal value.

Re the insurance - allstate, state farm, nationwide won't write new policies on LI because their liabilities in LI and NYC have to be capped at some amount. Therefore people seeking new policies have to go to smaller companies or have the policy brokered through one of the big boys. I just got a quote back through nationwide's partners that was absolutely absurd. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion.
Agreed - get a new real estate agent. Any real estate agent who doesn't understand what it means when a house doesn't appraise enough needs to be reconsider their choice of profession.

In any event, as stated earlier, Mortage Insurance and Home owners Insurance are two different things. PMI is required for any loan with less than 20% equity and basically protects the bank. Home owners insurance is what protects the home owner in case of damage/theft/etc to the property and structure.

One other point I should make - State Farm, in fact, still writes new policies on Long Island. I switched to them last July.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:41 AM

185 posts, read 1,216,254 times
We have our policy with Travelers---and can't complain---if you want specific name of our agent and phone number just send me a private message and I will be happy to provide you with the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: