Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,341,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
There should be a plan where the illegal-alien-apologists could adopt and sponsor them: offer them a place to stay, help them become legal citizens. I wonder how many would be willing?
Good point, we should also try to pass a bill to deport all illegal aliens out of the country. I wonder if that bill will ever pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,347,631 times
Quote:
There should be a plan where the illegal-alien-apologists could adopt and sponsor them: offer them a place to stay, help them become legal citizens. I wonder how many would be willing?
I asked someone, who felt so sorry for them and didn't want them to be deported so they could stay here and have a better life, to invite one of them to live in their home so they have a place to stay. They said no.

But they still feel sorry that they have to live and sleep in the woods.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:58 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,117,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I asked someone, who felt so sorry for them and didn't want them to be deported so they could stay here and have a better life, to invite one of them to live in their home so they have a place to stay. They said no.

But they still feel sorry that they have to live and sleep in the woods.
None of the illegal immigrant lovers have to deal with them living in their neighborhoods pissing on their sidewalks or living in tents in the woods behind their backyard. Hence it is so easy for them to support them. The rest of us living in the real world oppose them because we see them and their 3rd world antics on a daily basis. I pray that one day the neighborhood they invade is that of Ted Kennedy or the Dolans.

They are hypocrites. Then again, most liberals are.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,218 times
Years ago there was a lot of illegal irish people ; in the 1980's. The difference between this and now is that the irish didnt parade their rights, didnt send money home, kept their money here and eventually made a life for themselves, didnt sponge off the government, didnt expect any rights.

I dont have a problem with emigrants ; I am one myself. But the difference is that I made my own life here and didnt expect a handout from anyone. When the INS are doing their job and getting blasted for it, then we have a problem.

d

d

Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM

316 posts, read 990,253 times
Well, if all illegal immigrants were deported (not bloody likely) the restaurant, landscaping, and construction industries would collapse.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,348,245 times
I'm curious what the OP suggests Levy do about illegal immigrants on LI? Any suggestions about how he should handle it? Should he ignore it like so many past elected officials have or actually formulate a plan and implement it?
Or is the OP's negative opinion really just piling-on about Levy's position regarding the SCPD?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:48 AM

49 posts, read 131,300 times
Quote:
Well, if all illegal immigrants were deported (not bloody likely) the restaurant, landscaping, and construction industries would collapse.

While I am not sure that I agree with this, it does bring this point to light:

How about addressing the policies that created this situation, instead of bashing individuals? The only reason we have an immigration problem is because businesses have decided that it's cheaper to break the law (hiring illegals), than to do business legitimately. What we need to do is find some way to incentivize the hiring of legal citizens, and more broadly, encourage businesses to keep jobs in the US. I am not saying that this is easy, but both sides waste a lot of time hurling insults at each other and never seem to get to the root of the problem.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I doubt it. A year or two or three ago (I can't remember when), all illegals on LI staged a work stoppage and claimed that the economy would be brought to its knees. And they were true to their word, they didn't line up for work, they didn't do any work at all.

And what happened? Nothing. We didn't buckle, we didn't crawl to them on our hands and knees begging them to come back to work.

We did the work ourselves.

Honestly, those industries you speak of would not collapse. Be realistic here.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grepman View Post
While I am not sure that I agree with this, it does bring this point to light:

How about addressing the policies that created this situation, instead of bashing individuals? The only reason we have an immigration problem is because businesses have decided that it's cheaper to break the law (hiring illegals), than to do business legitimately. What we need to do is find some way to incentivize the hiring of legal citizens, and more broadly, encourage businesses to keep jobs in the US. I am not saying that this is easy, but both sides waste a lot of time hurling insults at each other and never seem to get to the root of the problem.
I have no problems with immigrants. I do have a problem with those who break the law. If you want to come here, then do it legally.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,341,322 times
Quote:
If we want to complain about the illegals (which most of us are doing here) we need to make sure we can deport each and every one of them.... but what we really want to do here is just express hatred against them but secretly not want them deported, its nothing different than the person who has sympathy towards them but refuses to give them a place in their home.

This why I am saying we do not have a spine !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island