Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 07:50 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times

Advertisements

According to American FactFinder, as of 1980, the population was:

Village of Amityville
7,963 White (84.3%)
806 Black or African American (8.5%)

Hamlet of North Amityville
3,091 White (18.7%)
11,386 Black or African American (68.7%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 10:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveorhatex3 View Post
Amityville really is a beautiful town if you go "passed" NORTH Amityville. All the big victorian homes, everything. I go to an Amityville school, they are mixed races so you are not just in a bubble. The schools are great! I get A+'s in almost every subject. Alot of kids do! They do foscus their efforts in improving the public school district. Its wonderful. And your right, people still think from long ago when Amityville schools were terriable. And also, people don't look past that racial segregation to look besides the fact that their arent just "african americans, and hispanics" their is also 81% white.

What is your English grade? There are a lot of errors in this post -- not exactly reassuring for those who wish to buy.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:51 AM

302 posts, read 590,750 times
^ haha, that's what I was thinking when I was reading the post And it's to go past not go passed.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 PM

217 posts, read 255,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
^ haha, that's what I was thinking when I was reading the post And it's to go past not go passed.
LOL and she's get's A+'s in almost every subject - I wonder if Engish is the non-A+ subject.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
The fact that she "" it was the only reason I let it fly past....

Old 10-30-2010, 02:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,576 times
Ive never heard Amityville described so beautifly, I grew up there and reading the post I could almost picture bayview avenue near the high school and oak street near peterkin's park and the village during Christmas, and yes we could go on for pages and pages and never capture its beauty entirely. I lived there almost my whole life and though yes the schools are awful theres so much that makes it worth thousands of dollars per month for private school, if I could afford it I'd still be there. I moved to New Mexico and someone asked did you live near the horror house? I looked at him like her was crazy "what horror house?" I had no idea Amityville was so famous until very recently, I wasn't allowed to see those types of movies as a child I still haven't watched it lol. but anyway thank you for those memories of my beloved home, hopefully I'll move back there one day.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,576 times
Why would any one want to overlook North Amityville? every inch of Amityville is beautiful from the McDonalds on 110 to the Pink stores to the beaches, North Amityville is a part of what makes the city what it is yes there are some undesirable people there but the flat tops (houses) along Albany ave are just as much a part of Amityville as the old victorians on South Broadway. No not as fancy but theres history there, there are churches that have been there for decades small family businesses, huge historical families generation ontop of generation of history speaks from every street, road, and avenue, while we can do without the drug dealers and damaged roads every city has things it would like to purge itself of but to say we should look past the beauty that is beneath the surface of North Amityville is to say we should simply wipe Brookly off of NY's map entirely.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:45 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
I was actually driving through North Amityville and as I was going up Albany Avenue I saw a really really nice area, does anybody know anything about this area. What's it like? Demographics? Crime? I think some of the street names were Rainbow Lane and Toussie Blvd? I'm just curious.

It is the area that you see to your left once you keep going up Albany Avenue even passed Great Neck Rd and south of the Southern State Pkwy.

thanks.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-30-2010 at 06:20 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 06:46 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amityville_Kym View Post
Why would any one want to overlook North Amityville? every inch of Amityville is beautiful from the McDonalds on 110 to the Pink stores to the beaches, North Amityville is a part of what makes the city what it is yes there are some undesirable people there but the flat tops (houses) along Albany ave are just as much a part of Amityville as the old victorians on South Broadway. No not as fancy but theres history there, there are churches that have been there for decades small family businesses, huge historical families generation ontop of generation of history speaks from every street, road, and avenue, while we can do without the drug dealers and damaged roads every city has things it would like to purge itself of but to say we should look past the beauty that is beneath the surface of North Amityville is to say we should simply wipe Brookly off of NY's map entirely.

Thank you. I wish more people would comment on the attributes of Long Island's non-traditional areas but I guess it takes someone who actually lives there to notice these things. I've read that N. Amityville has a strong sense of community through their churches. Thanks for reenforcing that belief.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amityville_Kym View Post
Why would any one want to overlook North Amityville? every inch of Amityville is beautiful from the McDonalds on 110 to the Pink stores to the beaches, North Amityville is a part of what makes the city what it is yes there are some undesirable people there but the flat tops (houses) along Albany ave are just as much a part of Amityville as the old victorians on South Broadway. No not as fancy but there's history there, there are churches that have been there for decades small family businesses, huge historical families generation on top of generation of history speaks from every street, road, and avenue, while we can do without the drug dealers and damaged roads every city has things it would like to purge itself of but to say we should look past the beauty that is beneath the surface of North Amityville is to say we should simply wipe Brooklyn off of NY's map entirely.
Having lived in Copiague for 36 years now, I have come to know No. Amityville (and Amityville) pretty well. It was "Dr. Copy", Dr. Harold Kopczynski on Croyden la.,
who was our family physician from 1974 through 1978, a wonderful, black "country doctor" who served many people from the community and will always be held in high
esteem in memory. Years later, when we were active in spiritual pursuit we associated for a while, with Jehovah's Witnesses, and had many congregational friends there in
No. Amityville, spent a few Sunday afternoons at backyard barbecues over on Rainbow La. and the newer developed sections.

In the early seventies, I used to go up to "the corner" as it was called,
the intersection of Gt. Neck Rd. and Albany Ave, to buy my dime-bags of Pot. I'll admit that although
the area was "seedy", two or three bars, a Chinese "kitchen", a fried fish and chicken place and two corner parking lots which were teeming with people, night or day. It was
a frightful place to be at night, always the 1st precinct cars cruising the block or parked in the area. I came to see it as the "poor side of town", a God-forsaken ghetto across
the tracks. In the mid 70's I remember seeing cars overturned in the street while the locals rioted in the area and not long after, it appeared that law enforcement worked a
concerted effort to "clean up" the corner.

Today, I can drive by there and see much positive change.
The community is making headway in their hopes to redevelop No. Amityville. I sense that many who live there,
are as concerned with the quality of their community, as ever before. North Amityville doesn't "scare" me any more, the place has changed and so have the people.

Amityville proper, has always come off as a really great pace to live.
It's everything quaint and folksy as other contributors here have pointed out. I worked in the village
for a few years, over by the old "Silver Lake Cookie Co.", on Sprague Ave., at Stein Industries. Living in Copiague and working so close to home, often, my sweet wife would
meet me for lunch there at Peter's diner or somewhere else on Broadway and we'd have lunch together. Many evenings after work, I'd buy a pint of "Night Train Express", a
rot-gut, "french-kiss", wine and walk home "under the El", the LIRR elevated track that led back to Copiague, stopping at every other support pillar and after taking another
sip from my pint, ponder the future, my life in respect to the future and where I would get my next pint, probably at Palumbos liquors there on Gt. Neck Rd.!

I'm retired now and spending what's left of my life, looking back at life. I was either smart or lucky to become computer literate back in the early nineties, if it were not
for the chance to click into a place where I could talk to myself and offer my thoughts up to others, I'd probably find myself out in a public park on a Saturday afternoon, feeding
peanuts to the squirrels, bread to the ducks or seed to the pigeons. As it is, I'm enjoying my Saturday afternoon, hanging out here on an old thread here at city-data. I may not
be too entertaining to you, but I'm keeping myself out of trouble, safe here at my desktop, catching a buzz and pecking away at my keyboard that, only moments ago, got a liberal
dousing of Budweiser, as my 24oz. "tall-boy" tipped over on it but that was not before I've taken this opportunity to say that Amityville (and the surrounding areas,townships or
"Hamlets") are as nice a place to live and die as any other place within this once great State of New York, a proud part of an America that will fare better in memory than in my
personally projected forecast for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island