Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:35 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
Having lived in Copiague for 36 years now, I have come to know No. Amityville (and Amityville) pretty well. It was "Dr. Copy", Dr. Harold Kopczynski on Croyden la.,
who was our family physician from 1974 through 1978, a wonderful, black "country doctor" who served many people from the community and will always be held in high
esteem in memory. Years later, when we were active in spiritual pursuit we associated for a while, with Jehovah's Witnesses, and had many congregational friends there in
No. Amityville, spent a few Sunday afternoons at backyard barbecues over on Rainbow La. and the newer developed sections.

In the early seventies, I used to go up to "the corner" as it was called, the intersection of Gt. Neck Rd. and Albany Ave, to buy my dime-bags of Pot. I'll admit that although
the area was "seedy", two or three bars, a Chinese "kitchen", a fried fish and chicken place and two corner parking lots which were teeming with people, night or day. It was
a frightful place to be at night, always the 1st precinct cars cruising the block or parked in the area. I came to see it as the "poor side of town", a God-forsaken ghetto across
the tracks. In the mid 70's I remember seeing cars overturned in the street while the locals rioted in the area and not long after, it appeared that law enforcement worked a
concerted effort to "clean up" the corner.

Today, I can drive by there and see much positive change. The community is making headway in their hopes to redevelop No. Amityville. I sense that many who live there,
are as concerned with the quality of their community, as ever before. North Amityville doesn't "scare" me any more, the place has changed and so have the people.

Amityville proper, has always come off as a really great pace to live. It's everything quaint and folksy as other contributors here have pointed out. I worked in the village
for a few years, over by the old "Silver Lake Cookie Co.", on Sprague Ave., at Stein Industries. Living in Copiague and working so close to home, often, my sweet wife would
meet me for lunch there at Peter's diner or somewhere else on Broadway and we'd have lunch together. Many evenings after work, I'd buy a pint of "Night Train Express", a
rot-gut, "french-kiss", wine and walk home "under the El", the LIRR elevated track that led back to Copiague, stopping at every other support pillar and after taking another
sip from my pint, ponder the future, my life in respect to the future and where I would get my next pint, probably at Palumbos liquors there on Gt. Neck Rd.!

I'm retired now and spending what's left of my life, looking back at life. I was either smart or lucky to become computer literate back in the early nineties, if it were not
for the chance to click into a place where I could talk to myself and offer my thoughts up to others, I'd probably find myself out in a public park on a Saturday afternoon, feeding
peanuts to the squirrels, bread to the ducks or seed to the pigeons. As it is, I'm enjoying my Saturday afternoon, hanging out here on an old thread here at city-data. I may not
be too entertaining to you, but I'm keeping myself out of trouble, safe here at my desktop, catching a buzz and pecking away at my keyboard that, only moments ago, got a liberal
dousing of Budweiser, as my 24oz. "tall-boy" tipped over on it but that was not before I've taken this opportunity to say that Amityville (and the surrounding areas,townships or
"Hamlets") are as nice a place to live and die as any other place within this once great State of New York, a proud part of an America that will fare better in memory than in my
personally projected forecast for the future.
Thanks LI Eddie. It's nice to read about the real Amityville and its environ rather than some surface view a "drive byer" gives us. It was very well rounded, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amityville_Kym View Post
... North Amityville is a part of what makes the city what it is ...
City?

North Amityville is a hamlet and Amityville is a village.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 PM

265 posts, read 944,841 times
Black people live in Amityville. According to the City Data forums, that means it is equivilant to Stalingrad circa 1942.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
Black people live in Amityville. According to the City Data forums, that means it is equivilant to Stalingrad circa 1942.
Amityville/Copiague are not bad areas to live. Especially Amity Harbor, very decent area. Most people refer to N. Amity as the trouble spot..the Trailer parks, the low quality fast food chains, the check cashing joints, run down motels (one named the sayonara motel ), grimy looking 99 cent stores, the street walkers, illegals and more fun stuff...Brings down Amityville a notch, why they picked that area to allow trailer parks and the junk stores is anyone's guess (probably a back door $$ exchange like all the others done by corrupt pols).

Old 10-31-2010, 08:22 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,240 times
Quote:
Stalingrad, huh? Maybe you'd like to innumerate on that thought and help some of us old timers to understand just what
you are saying here. Would you do that for me John? Thanking you in advance, I eagerly await your equivalent explanation.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 PM

265 posts, read 944,841 times
Quote:
Stalingrad, huh? Maybe you'd like to innumerate on that thought and help some of us old timers to understand just what
you are saying here. Would you do that for me John? Thanking you in advance, I eagerly await your equivalent explanation.
"Maybe you'd like to innumerate on that thought"

That sentence doesn't even make sense. Before you try to get on my case about a typo, at least learn how to form coherent sentences.

I don't even know what you mean with this post. It's pretty much a failure at being witty and has nothing to do with the topic.

Last edited by John9l0; 10-31-2010 at 09:40 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 06:06 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:

LI Eddie, I wish you hadn't respond to him. He is clearly a troll looking to start a fight rather than adding any substance to the thread.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 8,220 times
Default North Amityville Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Agreed....North Amityville is kinda bad but its definitely not the worst...but I will say that N Amityville and Amityville Village/Harbor are worlds apart.
While I can understand the misconception many people have about North Amityville, I am here to tell you that there are many families who make over 120k a year, are positive people, take care of their properties, and obviously have good jobs. We are still living here because it is a part of our history, and the neighborhoods are not as bad as you all think. There are parts where I would not want to live, but don't judge a book by its cover - or what you perceive to be its cover. This is the problem with prejudices - people have them but have never experienced things for themselves to see they are not always right. I had my kitchen done a few years back and the contractor said he did not know there were houses like mine in the neighborhood. It is not over-the-top, but it is nice. If I had a choice, I would not live here - it is not perfect. There are young people who are not controlled by their parents or are parents themselves and should not be. Education is very important and I am a firm believer that if parents are not going to stress its importance, communities, as well as the school district need to step up to the plate. However, since so many families (even blacks in North Amityville) send their kids to private school, they don't care about the district. When I went to school it was probably 50% black and 50% white. It has changed so much. With that said, don't let the statistics lead you to believe that all of North Amityville and its residents are bad. The homes of Amityville and North Amityville may be different, but a lot of the people are just the same - hard working, kind, and family-oriented.

On another note; just because one lives in a nice neighborhood does not make you a nicer person - obviously. How many times has a black family been pushed away from buying a home in a white neighborhood? Why would a black family want to be the only one there? Schools - nice neighborhood (well the decor at least - maybe not the people, per se). Money is money - if I can afford to take care of my property just like anyone else, I should be free to live where I want. Just because you would pass me up for a non-black family does not mean they would make better neighbors. Property values are not always about how one maintains property - it is influenced by people's mindsets - misguided ones at that.

To make a long story short, just remember that while you would not want to live in North Amityville, don't lump all of its citizens into one group - it is hurtful to those of us who are trying to make a good life for ourselves, and your descriptions of the homes is not entirely accurate.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I agree about that one, what does that mean, or are you just plain racist?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
"Maybe you'd like to innumerate on that thought"

That sentence doesn't even make sense. Before you try to get on my case about a typo, at least learn how to form coherent sentences.

I don't even know what you mean with this post. It's pretty much a failure at being witty and has nothing to do with the topic.
So what if it doesn't make sense - you got his point, didn't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island