Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,988,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Guess what? Long Island has softball, baseball, kayaking, fishing & hiking too...and beaches no more than 20 mins away. I don't know how far you are from a beach, but my friend in Charlotte is @ least 2 hours from one. So while you have all these wonderful things you mention, IMO, nothing can compare to the beach.

Just b/c someone didn't like it in NC, doesn't mean they didn't properly research. The south isn't for everyone...just like LI isn't for everyone. If you are happy with your move, mazel tov to you...but don't bash LI b/c you didn't like it here. A lot of us like it here and can survive financially just fine.

Maybe you did not read my post correctly. I moved from LI. I'm well aware you can kayak, fish, play softball and so on. My point was, another poster stated he/she was bored here(NC), that is what I was referring to. If someone is bored here, well, your a boring person.

Beaches? I lived one block from the beach for 35 years. Yes, it's wonderful, of coarse. However, it was time for me to move on. NC is a huge state. NC does have a large coast, where people can choose to live. I chose not to, for various reasons. Like I said, I'm very happy with my choice.

What do finances have to do with my post? I do not need to worry financially no matter where I live.

Finally, *I* did not bash long island. Re-read my post

Last edited by Mike409; 09-10-2009 at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,988,091 times
Quote:
You can research the heck out of a place, that doesn't mean you will end up liking it. Research Somalia to death and then move there and tell me if you like it.

Somalia?

Last edited by Mike409; 09-10-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 09-10-2009, 09:52 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,042,802 times
I'm pretty sure my Somalia research would show me it isn't Boca... point being that research done right can be helpful in a relocation situation.

Spend some time on the NC boards and you will see that this "LI v. NC" argument has been waging for a very long time. You can argue personal taste - beaches, food, weather, etc, etc... A personal preference is a personal preference - as an aside here, I spent about a year in Mooresville, NC which is a very popular northern suburb of Charlotte with transplants. I don't care what anyone says, but the bread is not the same - you can get used to it for sure, but it simply isn't the way it is up North. That said, this is a PERSONAL preference - we can argue this and you can insist you found THE place for bagels or pizza in NC, but we'll just beat our heads against it. The same goes for any food or any personal preference. "It doesn't snow in NC and I love snow!". In the end, you have to agree to disagree.

You can also argue the age old "North v. South"... whether NC is supposed to be the "new" South or are LIers capable of living without a chip on their shoulder and trying to change everything in their path. This is a similar argument in that you can't point to any empirical evidence and go "AH HA! - there's the answer". Keep in mind that NC has been a huge transplant destination for a very long time. This all didn't just start in the past 5, 10, 15 years... One could argue that their entire housing market was driven by transplants - another can argue that NC was "immune to the housing bubble". But to those I'd point at the countless McMansions in NC and snicker. Either way, this is another point that will almost endlessly get argued without a win.

What you can't argue against is the cost of living difference between the 2 locations... and that is what is going to continue to drive NC as one of the most popular transplant destinations. For good or bad, they're going to keep heading for NC in the forseeable future.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 AM

976 posts, read 1,115,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
North Carolina has a completely foreign culture to Long Island natives. The people are a different ethnicity, different accent, different religion even different food. It is no wonder that transplanted fleeing Long Islanders feel depressed and empty in foreign North Carolina.
Maybe they should go back to NY? They all moved to FL and changed the landscape of FL, and usually bickering the whole time... why not just be in NY if NY is clearly the best place?

Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,586,441 times
Default I think we're missing something here.....

Quote:
You can research the heck out of a place, that doesn't mean you will end up liking it. Research Somalia to death and then move there and tell me if you like it.
With all due respect... huh?

If you conducted research on Somalia, found the culture, the climate, the economy and political values to be to your liking and you visited there several times to test drive what it might be like living there and then you moved there your chances of having a positive experience are greatly improved.

I've written about my experiences with relocating from the New York area to Raleigh many times here on City-Data. We scheduled multiple visits to the area at different points in the year and for varying lengths of time to try and gain a sense of what it might be like to live here. We conducted exhaustive research online, spoke with dozens of people who lived here and shared a common perspective with us (same religion, school age children, political values, etc.) before making our decision.

I make no apologies for my opinion. Research equals preparedness equals increased chances for success. We have friends down here who keep thinking that everything was way better where they used to live and the major driver in fueling that is unrealistic expectations.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 PM

718 posts, read 2,976,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
With all due respect... huh?

If you conducted research on Somalia, found the culture, the climate, the economy and political values to be to your liking and you visited there several times to test drive what it might be like living there and then you moved there your chances of having a positive experience are greatly improved.

I've written about my experiences with relocating from the New York area to Raleigh many times here on City-Data. We scheduled multiple visits to the area at different points in the year and for varying lengths of time to try and gain a sense of what it might be like to live here. We conducted exhaustive research online, spoke with dozens of people who lived here and shared a common perspective with us (same religion, school age children, political values, etc.) before making our decision.

I make no apologies for my opinion. Research equals preparedness equals increased chances for success. We have friends down here who keep thinking that everything was way better where they used to live and the major driver in fueling that is unrealistic expectations.
That is exactly what we did. Researched and visited.
I also had realistic expectations. I think alot of people from NY move to LI because they read in a magazine that its the "best place to live". It may not be the best for them though.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM

11,323 posts, read 18,943,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm pretty sure my Somalia research would show me it isn't Boca... point being that research done right can be helpful in a relocation situation.

Spend some time on the NC boards and you will see that this "LI v. NC" argument has been waging for a very long time. You can argue personal taste - beaches, food, weather, etc, etc... A personal preference is a personal preference - as an aside here, I spent about a year in Mooresville, NC which is a very popular northern suburb of Charlotte with transplants. I don't care what anyone says, but the bread is not the same - you can get used to it for sure, but it simply isn't the way it is up North. That said, this is a PERSONAL preference - we can argue this and you can insist you found THE place for bagels or pizza in NC, but we'll just beat our heads against it. The same goes for any food or any personal preference. "It doesn't snow in NC and I love snow!". In the end, you have to agree to disagree.

You can also argue the age old "North v. South"... whether NC is supposed to be the "new" South or are LIers capable of living without a chip on their shoulder and trying to change everything in their path. This is a similar argument in that you can't point to any empirical evidence and go "AH HA! - there's the answer". Keep in mind that NC has been a huge transplant destination for a very long time. This all didn't just start in the past 5, 10, 15 years... One could argue that their entire housing market was driven by transplants - another can argue that NC was "immune to the housing bubble". But to those I'd point at the countless McMansions in NC and snicker. Either way, this is another point that will almost endlessly get argued without a win.

What you can't argue against is the cost of living difference between the 2 locations... and that is what is going to continue to drive NC as one of the most popular transplant destinations. For good or bad, they're going to keep heading for NC in the forseeable future.
Actually, I think a lot of the "transplanting" to NC is in the last 15 years (OK maybe 20 or so). NC certainly was very Southern and not "transplant country" in the days of Mayberry and the Greensboro sit-ins. And it's not that long ago that it was the land of Jesse Helms too, if NC was full of transplants from the Northeast back then he would not have been Senator, yes there are Republicans in the NE, but Jesse was not Giuliani or Pataki or Shays or D'Amato (or for modern times, Snowe for that matter) and I can't imagine him winning office if he was first running in NC today.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM

718 posts, read 2,976,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually, I think a lot of the "transplanting" to NC is in the last 15 years (OK maybe 20 or so). NC certainly was very Southern and not "transplant country" in the days of Mayberry and the Greensboro sit-ins. And it's not that long ago that it was the land of Jesse Helms too, if NC was full of transplants from the Northeast back then he would not have been Senator, yes there are Republicans in the NE, but Jesse was not Giuliani or Pataki or Shays or D'Amato (or for modern times, Snowe for that matter) and I can't imagine him winning office if he was first running in NC today.
Most of the "transplanting" began with large companies moving operations to NC. Research Triangle Park employs tons of people in the Triangle area(IBM, Nortel, SAS and many others) and those people come from all over the country and world to live and work here. Technology, banking and healthcare make up a big chunk of the major cities in NC. Farming and manufacturing as well in some of the smaller towns. What you get in our area is highly educated, well paid, low cost of living and good schools...a perfect storm so to speak.
Thats not to say that some areas of NC are similar to Mayberry(it is a very large state) , but I don't live in those areas. I would hate someone comparing all of LI to say Roosevelt. That would be very misleading.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:22 PM

1,999 posts, read 5,002,499 times
Default unique cultures losing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trusses View Post
Maybe they should go back to NY? They all moved to FL and changed the landscape of FL, and usually bickering the whole time... why not just be in NY if NY is clearly the best place?
Not that NY is the best place but it is their place. When these people are transplanted in large numbers they not only lose their own unique culture but they weaken the culture of the place they inundate. The existential qualities of the transplant saturated town becomes muddled for both the natives and the invaders. These transplant towns become Nowheresville.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:58 PM

11,323 posts, read 18,943,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
Most of the "transplanting" began with large companies moving operations to NC. Research Triangle Park employs tons of people in the Triangle area(IBM, Nortel, SAS and many others) and those people come from all over the country and world to live and work here. Technology, banking and healthcare make up a big chunk of the major cities in NC. Farming and manufacturing as well in some of the smaller towns. What you get in our area is highly educated, well paid, low cost of living and good schools...a perfect storm so to speak.
Thats not to say that some areas of NC are similar to Mayberry(it is a very large state) , but I don't live in those areas. I would hate someone comparing all of LI to say Roosevelt. That would be very misleading.
OK then I'm going to guess 20-25 years ago, as I graduated from a very hi-tech college in the northeast about 20 years ago and I know a lot of people who ended up in RTP after graduation who weren't from the South (I also worked a couple of summers in the late 80s at IBM in NY and knew of people being transferred to NC). Thanks for the clarifying reminder.

And to clarify, I was using Mayberry as a metaphor for the time period/era of the Andy Griffith Show since it was "based" in NC, I realize that some parts of the state are like that even today and other parts have most of the "transplant" culture. Not only is LI more than just Roosevelt, but NY is more than just LI for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island