Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 01:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I think there is something to that. Most students today are concerned with result over learning. They will do whatever it takes to maximize their score, but not understand underlying concepts behind the answer. The SAT fosters this.

It's a necessary evil, but I think aptitude and intelligence can be seen in so many other ways.
Agreed 1000%

I think NYCAnalyst is young enough to be a product of this system and probably doesn't have much real world experience in applied knowledge.

NYCA - What will you do if your kids have Down syndrome or some kind of serious learning disability? Will you consider your life a failure since you didn't raise children who got into elite private schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 01:15 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Agreed 1000%

I think NYCAnalyst is young enough to be a product of this system and probably doesn't have much real world experience in applied knowledge.

NYCA - What will you do if your kids have Down syndrome or some kind of serious learning disability? Will you consider your life a failure since you didn't raise children who got into elite private schools?
No Sean...he will simply lock them in the basement whenever anyone comes over in hopes that he can avoid the humiliation and embarassment

I frankly don't care what my son does as long as A) he has good ideals and values and B) he does what he loves. If he wants to start a business restoring classic cars...so be it. If he wants to design pottery for a living, knock yourself out.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:25 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
No Sean...he will simply lock them in the basement whenever anyone comes over in hopes that he can avoid the humiliation and embarassment

I frankly don't care what my son does as long as A) he has good ideals and values and B) he does what he loves. If he wants to start a business restoring classic cars...so be it. If he wants to design pottery for a living, knock yourself out.
What if he wants to be an artist, tries his hardest, but ends up living on the streets selling $5 caricatures? That's ok with you?

Old 11-13-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Agreed 1000%

What do you mean by product of the system? I didn't go to an elite private school, or an ivy league university, but I didn't go to a public school either. Nor are my parents wealthy. I did go to a pretty good college but not an elite one.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
What if he wants to be an artist, tries his hardest, but ends up living on the streets selling $5 caricatures? That's ok with you?
I'd buy one of his caricatures! Actually I'd buy 12!

Old 11-13-2009, 01:33 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,286 times
Quote:

Then I ask you what if your kid wants to get into an ivy, tries his hardest, but only make it into a top racked state school?

Oh yeah, never mind. I already know the answer. They are an unintelligent *******, that will only make 50-60k (in today's dollar) doomed to a life of being non-elite.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Agreed 1000%

Don't blame it on the age. I am only 28 myself. This "I am better then everyone" attitude has been around longer then all of us.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
Then I ask you what if your kid wants to get into an ivy, tries his hardest, but only make it into a top racked state school?

Oh yeah, never mind. I already know the answer. They are an unintelligent *******, that will only make 50-60k (in today's dollar) doomed to a life of being non-elite.
Well at least he did try his hardest. He did not fail as a child, I failed as a parent for not pushing him hard enough. If he still becomes successful in one of the FILM (Finance, IT, Law, Medicine) careers, then I would feel better.

Regardless, it's not like he's living on the streets. Now you answer my question.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:40 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Well at least he did try his hardest. He did not fail as a child, I failed as a parent for not pushing him hard enough.

Regardless, it's not like he's living on the streets. Now you answer my question.
My parents did not fail as parents b/c they didn't push me to get into an ivy league school. They pushed me to do well, but they didn't push me to the point of extremity like you want to do. Jeezus, a child needs to be able to have a childhood and not be pushed to extremes!

I am very successful without going to an ivy league school and my parents are proud of me. You should just be happy for whatever route they choose to go and support and love...THAT is what a parent needs to do.

And for the record I'm NOT a parent...

Old 11-13-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Well at least he did try his hardest. He did not fail as a child, I failed as a parent for not pushing him hard enough.

You did not ask me a question.

If you don't realize everyone is not made for the ivy's or college in general you are no where near as smart as you think.

Would you consider your child unintelligent?

Would you tell them so?

Would they be a failure as an adult, since you consider non elite adults unintelligent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island