Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:54 PM

51 posts, read 109,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Yeah, I dont know the area well and had a typo but you are lumping in the rest of LI with your former town, no?
Uh....no. Actually, I am very familiar with most of LI- especially Suffolk- as I was a tow truck owner/operator* during the last half of the 90's- and was even well-versed with most of the island long before that, as I'd often take at least one day per week and just go driving and exploring- I've literally seen it all.

I learned to appreciate Ronkonkoma as being one of the better blue-collar areas; Having a special charm and nicenss to it, and being free of a lot of the vices that seemed to be becoming more prevalent elsewhere.....until it too started it's inevitable slide.

(*= You may remember seeing my blue and white professionally printed corrugated-plastic signs all over Suffolk: "Cash for your junk car 471-####" - Hehe....you may have even been a customer of mine- or of the person to whom I sold the number when I moved....)

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Default AHHH! This is the LIFE, I tell you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkonkomoan View Post
there is no zoning or Napoleonic government regulating every aspect of my life- from the length of my grass to the height of my fence- nor charging me a fee to do what I want on my own property.

Quote:
My neighbors are good old-fashioned typical Americans- not a bunch of self-centered drug addicts who utter a stream of profanity every time they speak because they are so miserable and over-worked.

Quote:
I have livestock.

Quote:
It didn't cost me anything to erect my pool, other than the price of the pool!

Quote:
There's no traffic. You get in your vehicle and go where you need to go, and don't stop till you get there.

Quote:
You don't see drug addicts, delinquents, transvestites and prostitutes walking the streets.

Quote:
I have unlimited parking for an unlimited number of vehicles.

Quote:
I put a mobile home on my property for my elderly mother. (Didn't need anyone's permission, or have to pay anyone to do so)

Quote:
There is virtually no crime- everyone has guns.

Quote:
I have time to do the things I enjoy...or just nothing at all (which is what I often enjoy!)

Quote:
When I look out my window, I do not see another house- I see pasture and hills and woods and beautiful sunsets......

Quote:
Food here today costs substantially less than what it cost on LI when I left, ten years ago.

Quote:
My home is fully electric- including heat. My bill for this cold month was $84.

Quote:
I can do what I want; go where i want, when I want and enjoy life the way it was meant to be while enjoying peace, quiet and beauty.....

Quote:
Don't need a park...I basically live in one.....and it's all mine.(Not the bank's...mine!)

Quote:
every time I walk into a gas station or convenience store....and the clerk is an English-speaking European-American instead of somebody with a towel or dot on their head.

Quote:
I take pleasure in knowing that the children of my neighbors can be farmers or clerks or burger flippers.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Dear lord this thread won't die.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Dear lord this thread won't die.
I just did a pictorial masterpiece and that's all you can say?!?!?

Old 12-29-2010, 11:28 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That was OUTSTANDING.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:52 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
In short, I just see nothing positive about LI anymore....but rather, that there is a better place out there for just about everyone, no matter what you like- places that far out-do LI and at far cheaper cost with far better quality of life.

Long Island has become a cesspool for the toilet that is NYC.
While you made several interesting points in your list, and while I have my own beefs with Long Island, there is one thing that Kentucky has that you will never find on Long Island, and that is the [URL="http://creationmuseum.org/"]Creation Museum[/URL].

That right there gives Long Island the win, because if there is one bit of lunacy I never want to be around, it's the lunacy necessary for believing that dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time.

Are there anti-science types here? Yes, sure. But they are in the (rather small) minority, thank FSM.

So you enjoy the exhibit where "Children play and dinosaurs roam near Eden’s Rivers." I'll stick with Brookhaven National Lab and Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, because a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Pics of your family?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM

182 posts, read 406,498 times
Great job!

Quote:

Old 12-30-2010, 02:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:

WOW! what an interesting and disturbing collection of pics. I bet that pool didn't last more than a day or 2. Is that a diving board or lifeguard post above it??

Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Pics of your family?
Very funny!

As you know, I live on Long Island. WHERE on Long Island do you see characters that act, look, dress, and build contraptions like that, pray tell? Those are real pictures of real people, surroundings and contraptions. No Hollywood art director dreamed those up.

Actually, it is pics of the people and surroundings you will find when you relocate off the hated LI after you are done sucking up the taxpayers' dollars here in terms of salary and after you have finalized plans for future sucking of the NYS taxpayers' dollars (a/k/a government pension) until you finally die and can no longer leach onto the taxpayers' money.

You yourself said that you are only here because you can't make this kind of money anywhere else in your chosen profession and will be glad to leave once you retire. So there's your future surroundings and companions after retirement. Idyllic, ain't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island