Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:12 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruthless View Post
And don't forget the relatively large Bohack's located at the intersection of Main Street and the Long Island Expressway (on the westbound service road) in Flushing. When the supermarket closed in about 1975, it stood vacant for a few years before the Palace Diner opened in the space (it's been the diner for the past 30 years).

And let's not forget other former late, great Long Island/NYC supermarkets...does anyone remember Pantry Pride, or Dan's Supreme, or Hills (owned by Korvettes Dept. Store), or Grand Union?
I remember Grand Union and Dan's Supreme. I used to shop at both of them. Also Big Apple, Edward's, Speedway, and A&P when it was separate from Waldbaum's. I don't remember Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:52 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,989,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Do you remember where they were located?

Yes.. in Glen Head.....coming from the train station.. the large white building.. on your left, Glen Head Rd. Eventually became some office space at one point for an advertising concern.

In Sea Cliff, on Sea Cliff Ave, in the Village proper....right hand side of the street just up from the Post office. On the corner, white building.. very small Sorry don't remember side street names......

Bohacks was my first supermarket... well.. that I remember... we're talking 1956 here.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,673 times
Why did Dutch Maid go out of business? It was a great bakery, I remember my mother buying birthday cakes there when I was a teen. BTW Grand Union still has locations in rural areas of NY and NJ. They still have one in Woodstock, NY.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,673 times
I remember Hills from the late 70's and early 80's. There was one in the Coney Island area off of the Belt pkwy. I didn't know they were owned by Korvettes. I thought they were owned by TSS Seedmans because they had one inside the TSS store in Hempstead. If I'm not mistaken, they also had one in the TSS in Levittown.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup, there was one in Huntington! It's Wild by Nature now, with many other incarnations in between.
No, Bohack in Huntington was on the corner of Main St and West Neck Rd, where the bank, dentist and deli are now.
I grew up going there!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,824 times
Default Yes - New York Ave. in Huntington Station - right across the street from Patsy's Barber Shop and Schwinn Bicycles!

Yes - there was one located on New York Avenue in Huntington Station, across the street from Patsy's Barber Shop and a Schwinn Bicycle dealer. These old landmarks are but ghosts now...

Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,454,883 times
There was also a Bohack's in Oyster Bay Village on South Street. The other Oyster Bay supermarket was A&P.
One gave out one type of stamp and the other another. You could redeem them for items like a toaster or a patio set.
Bohack's in Oyster Bay turned into a Foodtown sometime in the seventies. then into Finast.
I can still see that big red neon "B" with the flourish beneath it.

Old 08-13-2010, 01:23 PM

244 posts, read 540,299 times
Haven't heard that name in many many years...

Old 08-16-2010, 03:04 PM

8 posts, read 19,783 times
There was one in Hempstead too, on Greenwich St.
There was also a Big Apple on Fulton St. Wonder if anyone remembers those?

Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,921 times
I remember a Bohacks in Rocky Point, Port Jefferson and Riverhead, Hills on Main Street in Patchauge Village, Port Jeff station with Grants and SpaceBurgers and a Bohack in Riverhead,
Also remember a Garnd Union and safeway in Patchaouge on East Main Street (27A)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island