Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:31 PM

10 posts, read 26,984 times

Advertisements

east northport is a great place to live , ive lived there my whole life and i love it. My house is worth about 800k and there are plenty of other houses for lower prices than mine around. Its a wonderful place to live especially the Fifth Ave. elementary school district. Im a teenager and ive never come in contact with any drug dealers in enpt , in huntington station yes , enpt/npt no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 AM

10 posts, read 26,984 times
Thats true but bellrose is in northport for all of you that think east northport it "ghetto" , the town is really nice and i love living there. There are drug dealers in most long island towns though its because of the disposable income that is prevelant there, its sad but very true.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 AM

214 posts, read 459,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchris0625 View Post
I think east northport is nicer than northport, at least in my opinion. I believe the numbered streets are actually considered to be northport. I could be wrong tho. East northport area that is in commack schools off burr and cedar road are million dollar homes with a min. of 1 acre property. Although i do not know many areas of northport.
The numbered streets are located in east northport.

Many homes in east northport that are over and acre also feed into the elwood school district.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:18 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123abc123 View Post
Many homes in east northport that are over and acre also feed into the elwood school district.

There are places that have an "East Northport, NY 11731", as well as a "Commack, NY 11725", mailing address that are in the Hamlet of Elwood, and there are places that have an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address that are in the Hamlet of Commack.

A map of the Hamlet of Elwood in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

Elwood is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Elwood have a "Huntington, NY 11743", "Greenlawn, NY 11740", "East Northport, NY 11731", "Commack, NY 11725" and "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address.

A map of the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Huntington and the Town of Smithown, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Commack has a different border than does the "Commack, NY 11725" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Commack and a place can have other than a "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Commack): places that have a "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Commack are in the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of East Northport in the Town of Huntington and in the Hamlet of Smithtown in the Town of Smithtown; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Commack that have an "East Northport, NY 11731" and "Kings Park, NY 11754" mailing address.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
The Commack Schools Admin Building (Hubbs) is actually in EN, just south of Clay Pitts Road.

According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, located at 480 Clay Pitts Road, the Commack Union Free School District Headquarters Hubbs Administration Building, is in the Hamlet of Commack ("East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address).

Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 AM

10 posts, read 55,678 times
I was raised in East Northport. Havent lived there in 15 years but my parents still reside there. I went to the Elwood School District which I considered very good while others consider outstanding. All and all, any place in Commack, E. Nrthpt, Nrthpt, Greenlawn and Centerport is good. That includes the school districts. Some districts are bigger than others but all are real solid. If I had to pick a winner, it would be Harborfields. If it were close to the city I would love to live in E. Nrthpt. It's proximity to Manhattan is about the only downside I could think of. Oh yeah, it does have cesspools which I'm not a fan of but it's not a dealbreaker.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjferro View Post
I was raised in East Northport. Havent lived there in 15 years but my parents still reside there. I went to the Elwood School District ...
The house you grew up in, and where your parents still reside, may be in Elwood ("East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address) as many houses that have an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address and are within the Elwood Union Free School District are actually in the Hamlet of Elwood.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your parents' house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 02-08-2010, 12:49 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,757,515 times
Children who live in East Northport would go to one of the following school districts, depending upon where they live:

Northport-East Northport SD 4
Commack SD 10
Elwood SD 1

All are considered good districts, but I have seen people express preference for each for different reasons.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Children who live in East Northport would go to one of the following school districts, depending upon where they live:

Northport-East Northport SD 4
Commack SD 10
Elwood SD 1

Tom, people who live in the "East Northport, NY 11731" ZIP Code postal zone would go to these school districts, but this is not necessarily true for people who live in the Hamlet of East Northport.

Places that have an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of East Northport are in the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Commack (and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of East Northport with a "Northport, NY 11768" and "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address).

Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,108 times
Default This is silly business

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
If you live in EN south of Clay Pitts Road, your kids will attend SD10 (Commack).
The Commack Schools Admin Building (Hubbs) is actually in EN, just south of Clay Pitts Road.
Commack school taxes have been increasing 6-8 % a year for the past five years (before that, rate was even higher) . Yes, the schools are great, but there is tremendous waste (millions spent on new outdoor track last year, and currently the outside bleachers at the HS are being torn down and replaced with new bleachers with locker rooms under them. Why is that ? Did the old ones stop working properly . Large school additions in the past few years have included a dance studio for the beloved Cougarettes and a workout room that that puts my gym to shame. For a district of 7,000 students, 19 administrators are making over $150k, (suffolk community college has 3x as many students, and only five admins making that much) . The last school superintendent (who retired last year) came in at $354k.
Taxes on our ranch (35x24 on .5 acre) are now 9k. Most splits in my neighborhood are 11-13k ... but the budget always passes. Figure it out.
If you move to a home in the Commack SD expect more of this. It will not change as the people here are pretty blind to these issues.
That a budget always passes is not a sign that people are necessarily "blind" to the issue. It just might mean that they agree with the budget. School budget cuts are correlated with community decline. Point to an area that improved its standing by cutting salaries to administrators and having run-down sports facilities. Please name one, and I'll grant you your point.

It's also not true that the budget always passes. These capitol improvements you speak of usually are funded by bond issues, which are expenditures voted on independently, and I recently remember a bond-issue for athletics facilities improvement that bit it twice because the so-called "blind" population came out twice to vote against it.

Taxes are high, and the market will bear what people will spend. Demand for homes in this area isn't weak and prices have been pretty resilient despite the national market collapse. I'm not happy with the taxes, but I blame incomes for failing to keep up more than I do spending-happy teachers "wasting" money on lockers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island