Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do as a first time buyer?
Great House/Crap Town 4 9.09%
Crap House/Great Town 40 90.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times

Advertisements

Funny. The 2 "crap" houses I've owned would probabally be considered extravagant in some neighborhoods. But, none the less were crap in the neighborhoods I purchased.
My neighbors can thank me for raising their property values.
I buy crap homes because that's all I can afford, then I spend a few years renovating them into HGTV shrines so that the next owner can enjoy the fruits of my labor.
Now, every time I buy a house I just can't help but thinking that I'm actually renovating the place for the next owner, not myself. Heh heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Funny. The 2 "crap" houses I've owned would probabally be considered extravagant in some neighborhoods. But, none the less were crap in the neighborhoods I purchased.
I buy crap homes because that's all I can afford, then I spend a few years renovating them into HGTV shrines so that the next owner can enjoy the fruits of my labor.
Now, every time I buy a house I just can't help but thinking that I'm actually renovating the place for the next owner, not myself. Heh heh.
LOL.... its funny you mention that.... when I was living in apartments.... I would see the apartment spot clean on only 2 days.... the day I move in and the day I handed the keys back ....

Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Onion Store > 'Sometimes I Feel Like I'm The Only One Trying To Gentrify This Neighborhood' Doormat (http://store.theonion.com/product/sometimes-i-feel-like-im-the-only-one-trying-to-ge%2C265/ - broken link)

Old 01-25-2010, 11:12 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Let's keep this comparison fair and put in perspective the condition of the crappy house and the available funds of the buyer. The "Crap Town" reference has been associated with places that are dangerous. To be fair, the "Crap House" has to be similarly dangerous or otherwise unliveable. Also to be fair, let's assume you would be cash strapped after such a large purchase and will not be blessed with a ton of disposable income after the purchase. Otherwise the choice would be easy, buy the shack and dump a ton of money into it until it's liveable.

So, if the house you were to buy in a great town were 1100 SF, leaky roof, asbestos, lead paint, oil tank and septic needing replacement, wiring and panel unsafe, infestation, foundational issues, etc. Also assuming you would have to live in it for several years with only minor improvements, would the choice be so easy?

What if the nice 2400 SF colonial in the "Crap Town" was on a particularly well groomed and safe block with excellent private schools near by, would that change the equation?

Personally I did not vote, I'm with the previous poster, neither.
That is a great question.

I guess if you could swing the taxes and private school.

If that were the case you could probably afford to not buy in a crap town in the first place.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:21 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times
Uhhhhhh, six year old thread bump?!

Old 11-08-2017, 01:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
First time buyers who are broke after they move in and not at all handy?
You can learn a lot from youtube and no one said you have to fix it all up all at once.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 PM

406 posts, read 624,184 times
Budget is a big part of the equation. If you maximize house price paying for "good town", will you be able to afford disrepair?

Old 11-08-2017, 01:51 PM

204 posts, read 297,108 times
Crap house in a crap town. Put the extra money on black, double it, buy a better house.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:51 PM

42 posts, read 70,060 times
Worst house in the best neighborhood always. Id rather have a shack in Roslyn than a mansion in Wyandanch.

Old 11-09-2017, 06:47 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Had the mod bothered to look behind the picture she would have seen that these men were charged with a home invasion in Wyandanch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island