Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do as a first time buyer?
Great House/Crap Town 4 9.09%
Crap House/Great Town 40 90.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 01:08 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times

Advertisements

Location...location...location....forget everything else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
Crap house in a great town - someone will always want to live in a great town, the demand will be there. Don't know many people who would love to own a spanking brand new house in Wyandach, do you?

Old 01-24-2010, 05:24 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Why would anyone want to live in a beautiful house where they have to worry about potential breakins or even worse. If you live in a bad house in a good neighborhood,the people will probably appreciate when they see you trying to take care of it unlike the previous person.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
I don't think anything's worse than "crap town"... crap as in too dangerous to even walk around at night. If it's safe but just nothing exciting going on, I would still live there... great house there makes it very attractive.

About the crap house in a great town, that works easily as you can fix the house but not the town.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:33 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Your poll is missing the third option: Neither

Old 01-24-2010, 08:24 PM

125 posts, read 252,649 times
I know from experience. I brought a cute little house in a blue collar area and I just sold my house and practically lost all my money because this area depreciated more then the nicer areas so I should have went for a crappy house in a nice area since you can change the house a lot more then the neighborhood and even if you dont have that much money to fix it, at least you will get your money back, unlike me, who spent more and lost more...

Old 01-24-2010, 08:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
per op
go with plan B.
you can plant in fertile soil and grow really good stuff.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No question, hands down, crap house in a great area. You can change a house - you can do it over a few months, a few years - whatever. You can LEARN to be handy (pretty much have to if you own a home!).

But - LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION - you cannot change it. You cannot will it to get better. You cannot HOPE FOR THE BEST with your biggest lifetime investment.

I think every potential homeowner is faced with this decision at some point - and I think we know who ultimately ends up happier!

I think a lot of the reason that people who move away from here end up unhappy is becasue of a complete lack of research on where they are going. That makes for ugly long term consequences.
sometimes a great location changes too

Hempstaed comes to mind, was once a very great place..now wouldnt want to go near it

Old 01-25-2010, 08:35 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Location, location, location. I wouldn't buy anywhere on LI as it's over taxed, over crowded and crime is rising all over with more and more home invasions, etc, but that's off topic. As long as they can get the house at a real bargain and either put the money saved toward renovations or knock the house down and rebuild, I think that's the way to go.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:57 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,551 times
Let's keep this comparison fair and put in perspective the condition of the crappy house and the available funds of the buyer. The "Crap Town" reference has been associated with places that are dangerous. To be fair, the "Crap House" has to be similarly dangerous or otherwise unliveable. Also to be fair, let's assume you would be cash strapped after such a large purchase and will not be blessed with a ton of disposable income after the purchase. Otherwise the choice would be easy, buy the shack and dump a ton of money into it until it's liveable.

So, if the house you were to buy in a great town were 1100 SF, leaky roof, asbestos, lead paint, oil tank and septic needing replacement, wiring and panel unsafe, infestation, foundational issues, etc. Also assuming you would have to live in it for several years with only minor improvements, would the choice be so easy?

What if the nice 2400 SF colonial in the "Crap Town" was on a particularly well groomed and safe block with excellent private schools near by, would that change the equation?

Personally I did not vote, I'm with the previous poster, neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island