Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:25 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
If youre working in CSH, Huntington is the way to go.

Crooks
Thanks, Crooks - you took the words right out of my mouth

Having lived in Cold Spring Harbor, I would NOT recommend Pt. Jefferson because of the distance you'd have to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thanks, Crooks - you took the words right out of my mouth

Having lived in Cold Spring Harbor, I would NOT recommend Pt. Jefferson because of the distance you'd have to travel.
Absolutely Elke.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
sounds like something a realtor would say. Perhaps you missed your calling?
maybe....but thats still one charming little town.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
CSH is like the Twilight Zone. I'd quite possibly give up one of my kids to live there though. I like Twilight Zone.
Remote. Private. Borderline rural.
Although navigating some of those streets during a blizzard doesn't seem too exciting.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:17 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
CSH is like the Twilight Zone. I'd quite possibly give up one of my kids to live there though. I like Twilight Zone.
Remote. Private. Borderline rural.
Although navigating some of those streets during a blizzard doesn't seem too exciting.

LOL quite right, hotkarl That's one of the reasons why so many of my neighbors drove 4-wd vehicles. Personally, I prefer a little Audi quattro

Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
If you are working in Stonybrook, I would absolutely suggest Port Jefferson.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:08 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggybeach View Post
@ Walter....Thanks so much! Actually the position would be at the Cold Spring Harbor Lab, and I was informed today, and I needed to live nearby. At least within a 15-30 minute drive. I may also work late at night, so I wanted to be somewhere I could get to a store or restaurant later in the evening if I needed to. Sounds like Port Jefferson and Huntington are the way to go.

For you, Huntington only is the way to go. Not PJ in your situation. You will have all that you need there.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM

44 posts, read 135,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Elke, are you aware of any reason for the separate location?
The CSH Lab DNA Laerning Center is a separate educational facility and is located on Main Street in CSH. The lab has separate facilities throughout the area including Lloyd Harbor and Woodbury. The CSHL campus is quite small (although they are currently building new lab buildings in the hillside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
LOL quite right, hotkarl That's one of the reasons why so many of my neighbors drove 4-wd vehicles. Personally, I prefer a little Audi quattro
My new Q7 offers the best of both worlds! It certainly came in handy today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
For you, Huntington only is the way to go. Not PJ in your situation. You will have all that you need there.
Yup. If you're working at the Lab, Huntington Village is literally 5 minutes away. You'll find there are many legit apartments (not basements) in HV than other areas of the Island. It's a great little town. If I were you, I'd also look in cottage rentals in CSH and neighboring Lloyd Harbor, Oyster Bay, Laurel Hollow, Huntington Bay and Centerport.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggybeach View Post
This is great information. I'm from San Francisco, and an Urban Dweller. I may be offered a position in Cold Harbor Springs. I too am seeking a place that's safe, has things that I could walk to, bank, and grocery store. I can't imagine living away from the ocean again. This part of LI looks spectacular. Sounds like Hungtington is the way to go from the posts here. I just can't seem to find a place with a garage. Is there anything else anyone could advise? I'm open to suggestion. I'm in my late 30's and looking for something convenient, but pretty quiet. I've never had a car and lived in the snow, so I'm wondering how that works. Does the City provide snow plowing in the Winter? Also, as a renter, what are the biggest expenses in LI? Heat? Water? Garbage? I can't decide if it's worth the hassle of commuting from NYC to LI everyday or just to live in LI. Thanks everyone, having input and experience is so valuable.
Don't get too hung up on the garage. Lots of people who own homes that have a garage (plenty of houses don't) park their car outside and use the garage exclusively for storage. When you get here, you will buy an ice scraper, a shovel, and all the other low-tech snow removal stuff that Long Islanders keep around. You will get used to going into a cold car in the morning and how to drive in the snow. Even if you had a garage at home, when you parked the car elsewhere, it still could be all covered in snow on a snowy day. Main roads usually get plowed before secondary roads, but eventually all roads get plowed and sometimes salted. You'll get used to it.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:07 PM

13 posts, read 29,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Don't get too hung up on the garage. Lots of people who own homes that have a garage (plenty of houses don't) park their car outside and use the garage exclusively for storage. When you get here, you will buy an ice scraper, a shovel, and all the other low-tech snow removal stuff that Long Islanders keep around. You will get used to going into a cold car in the morning and how to drive in the snow. Even if you had a garage at home, when you parked the car elsewhere, it still could be all covered in snow on a snowy day. Main roads usually get plowed before secondary roads, but eventually all roads get plowed and sometimes salted. You'll get used to it.
Are most apartments basements? The idea of living above a family walking around or living under a family with a bunch of running kids doesn't sound great.... I'll have to be wise about my decision.

Thanks for the advice about the garage. As I mentioned, I've never "lived" in the snow, so I'm not sure what to expect, or the damage it will do to my car.

My focus is Huntington....I'll look at Oyster Bay, but I'm really taking heed to the advice of the locals who are posting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island