Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:57 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

I found this sight to be very helpful

City Data - Step 2- Select factor

Ellington actually has a higher HHI than Rocky Point and much better housing/education.

LI just isn't that compelling or competitive anymore.

Theres no value and even worse no jobs to cover the taxes.
Its a recipe for disaster.

..and yes the sky is falling.

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 06:59 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Sounds like a perfect fit! Good Luck with it. BTW your house looks really nice and seems well priced. THose on this forum looking for a starter in Suffolk should invest in a visit to your home. The property alone makes it better than a condo.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:09 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Thanks so much

Were gonna miss being so close to the beach....but the mountains are beautiful too.

Rocky Point is a terrific place to raise a family if you gotta do LI.

C

Old 07-16-2007, 12:18 AM

5 posts, read 41,868 times
Default Avoid Long Island If You Can

Hi. Please see my thread titled "Avoid Long Island If You Can". It gives a lengthy critique of Long Island that you may find helpful. Best of Luck.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 36,635 times
no i hate but i had no choice i had to move here by frecking force... sigh i'd move in a heartbeat if i could

Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,718 times
Post NLAY - I grew up in Medford

I lived in Medford for most of my life and I have family that still live nearby. It's changed tremendously in the past 10 years, good and bad. The schools were really good but have become much more overburdened and no longer have top ranking. The high school is HUGE now with the new addition. There are bad sections (do NOT live in Eagle Estates) but that's true of every town. There is an illegal immigration problem that's gotten worse over the years. It's also maintained it's small town attitude since a lot of the people who live there, stay there and a good percentage of children who grew up there come back. They've built up Rte. 112 in a big and GOOD way. Back in the 70s, hookers used to hang out in front of a run down motel which has finally turned into a shopping strip with Starbucks (wish they had that a lot sooner!), etc. There's a Target, Sam's Club, Walmart (down Horseblock in Farmingville) and a whole bunch of great stores now. Most importantly, it still has a charming main street (Patchogue, actually but it counts, Patchogue-Medford thing) with an outdoor cafe, other restaurants, great library, arts center and many other draws in a main street that still manages to thrive. I still drive out there (40 min drive) for some of the restaurants (authentic greek restaurant, Medford Pita, run by Turks on Rte. 112 is my fav). As others have mentioned, there are plenty of draws about living that far east on Long Island. Just be careful about the Brookhaven politics and the Brookhaven hospital (avoid at all costs). If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:12 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLay View Post
I Was Just Curious If People That Have Moved To Long Island From Other Areas Like It There. I Have Moved Quite A Few Times And Seen Good And Bad Areas, And We Will Be Moving There From Indianapolis In A Few Months And I Was Wondering If People That Have Moved From Other States To Long Island Liked It There.

I grew up here and it's a struggle. Money is super tight and I don't live in a high end neighborhood. If you guys make a combined $100K or better you could probably be comfortable here. We make 60 - 70K (self employed) and are struggling with nothing left over for savings for our kids futures.. or ours. Taxes are a big sore point, as is housing prices.. BUT.. factor in other costs like car insurance, health insurance (because it cost more here than other parts of hte country if you're buying it for yourself) , gas prices, .. oh and the insurance companies are either dropping homeowners or raising their rates in some cases 12% because we're "due for a hurricane"... Property taxes, particularly school taxes.. increase by ALOT every year.. 60% of your taxes is school.. oh and Nassau wants to raise your countytax 3.9% next year... although there are thos e fighting it.

I grew up here.. born and raised.. but feel like i'm being pushed out with the Cost of living.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLay View Post
I Was Just Curious If People That Have Moved To Long Island From Other Areas Like It There. I Have Moved Quite A Few Times And Seen Good And Bad Areas, And We Will Be Moving There From Indianapolis In A Few Months And I Was Wondering If People That Have Moved From Other States To Long Island Liked It There.
I just moved out of long Island four years ago. I lived there all my life, and Iam now 52. Its changing big time. And it's very expensive to live there, so you better be able to make big bucks.. My son and daughter are still there, they make good money, and they still are finding it hard. My daughter is thinking of moving out of NY as soon as she gets her R.N. degree. And my son wants to leave, but he has too good of a job to give up. Anyway lots of luck to you. Happy in Florida.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:26 PM

80 posts, read 291,276 times
I am moving to the Orlando subuurbs and am nervous becaus I love LI and I hear a lot of negative about Fl.jobs,crime, traffic, etc. Where in Fl. are you Happy?

Old 10-05-2007, 01:35 PM

8 posts, read 25,487 times
dont even bother. this place bites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island