Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 12:41 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,707,690 times

Advertisements

BTW...how is that "bar" or "restaurant"? Is it a dive bar? a decent pub? Always wondered if it was any good. Not that I would ever want to get drunk on that road and drive up there in the Village of Patchogue to the Town of Rocky Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 01:21 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Yaphank is a quaint little place, so the local bar is next to a lake in a stand alone building. So what? Who (Besides you) thinks a bar can't be a stand alone building? For the record, one could easily refer to this establishment as a "Restaurant" if they WEREN'T Looking to bash the neighborhood.
You can't prove Longwood isn't one of the best SD's on LI, the same way he can't prove it is. He's happy with the district, what's the problem?

You chose to attack the guy just becasue he chose to defend the neighborhood he lives in. Why do that?
So your answer to my first question is "Yes." You forgot to answer that.

Yaphank, east of Yaphank-Middle Island Rd is quaint. West of it, it's a coin toss. The houses along Sills aren't quaint -- they are good, serviceable homes, but nothing more.

Rather than trying to obfuscate what I've written to serve your purposes, revisit it -- a stand alone building, all alone with no other commercial structures near it save for a homeless vets shelter. I commuted passed these structures every day for years. The shelter would have men hanging around outside at all hours, shopping carts with the remnants of their lives outside doors which were swung wide open for all to see in. It was sad to see the men reduced to this spartan existence. Occasionally one would amble across the road either to or from the bar. Sometimes there would be police cars out front the shelter. These unfortunates carried so many problems with them, triggered by their selfless devotion (or possible drafting) into our nation's service. Do I take issue with them and their need to exist? NO. I do take issue with the fact that the motel's owner has done little to make the shelter look like home. or garden apartments. That in itself would make a positive impact on that small stretch of road.

Bar & homeless shelter.
Does this speak of middle class, solid community or perhaps a little rough around the edges? On a scale of Mastic to Mill Neck -- where would it fall closer to?

Being happy with one's school district is one thing. Disseminating false information is something else. Again, his words were "the school district is one of the best on LI" Would you honestly agree with that? Would you tell someone deciding between Jericho, HHH and Longwood that Longwood is best? Your word was 'acceptable' which it is for many people, and I don't dispute that. "One of the best" it is not. (They do have a real kick ass cheer squad, though.) If he (or you) could show me statistics that it stands with the top districts on LI (which we've all hashed and rehashed on CD) then I will gladly retract my statement. If he meant "one of the best" in terms of local districts (Pat Med, Wm Floyd, Longwood, Riverhead) then he might have something.

And what exactly do you consider attacking? A play on German Gardens in the mother tongue? Pointing out what some buyers might consider shortcomings in the immediate vicinity? Trying to ascertain how the poster arrived at the school's status?

I find it sort of odd that you are amongst those who enjoy ribbing Crooks about Rocky Point, yet somehow feel compelled to defend an area which is very similar to the old parts of Rocky Point -- save for the Veteran's shelter. But then again, I know how much you like busting my chops.

Knowing what you know about LI, you could make an informed decision about where to live. What about someone coming into this blindly?
I would want to know what is around the place I was considering, and what the up and downs to it were.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
This thread has the potential to be epic.
I love this place.
Potential?
My dear, you are a part of it. Epic it shall be.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
BTW...how is that "bar" or "restaurant"? Is it a dive bar? a decent pub? Always wondered if it was any good. Not that I would ever want to get drunk on that road and drive up there in the Village of Patchogue to the Town of Rocky Point.
Back when I commuted it was a little more of a townie bar, a local bike club (not biker gang) held meetings there. Colorful local people and such, attractive barmaids back then. Food was secondary. Lots of trucks in the parking lot after 4 PM. This was a while ago, though, and it doesn't appear to be the type of place advertising to bring in a clientele from further away.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Quote:
Wlater he lived in Patchogue...period. Not East Patchogue...Patchogue. You are totally wrong.
Wikipedia says that he lived and operated his medical laboratory business at 71 Silver Street, and the Census Bureau's online address search function shows that 71 Silver Street is in East Patchogue ("Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address).

It is important to understand that Patchogue is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village:

Places with a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address that are not in the Village of Patchogue are in the Hamlet of Blue Point, the Hamlet of North Patchogue, the Hamlet of East Patchogue, the Hamlet of North Bellport and the Village of Bellport (and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Patchogue with a "Blue Point, NY 11715" mailing address).

Old 10-25-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Back when I commuted it was a little more of a townie bar, a local bike club (not biker gang) held meetings there. Colorful local people and such, attractive barmaids back then. Food was secondary. Lots of trucks in the parking lot after 4 PM. This was a while ago, though, and it doesn't appear to be the type of place advertising to bring in a clientele from further away.
The place always seems to have a crowd in it. Nothing wrong with a nice neighborhood place.

I travel up that road all the time heading to the garden spot of Rocky Point. I can't comment about what that area is like. The Vets motel certainly makes it look a little seedy but those vets have to be housed someplace and its not an awful looking building.

Walter..it's Patchogue...plain and simple. Lets resolve to keep it simple

Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Walter..it's Patchogue...plain and simple. Lets resolve to keep it simple
You want simple, huh?

If 71 Silver Street is within the borders of the Village of Patchogue, then 71 Silver Street is in Patchogue.

If 71 Silver Street is not within the borders of the Village of Patchogue, then 71 Silver Street is not in Patchogue.

So, is 71 Silver Street within or not within the borders of the Village of Patchogue?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 PM

It's all Patchogue, Walter

Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
It's all Patchogue, Walter
No, it isn't.

Places with a "Patchogue, NY 11772" mailing address that are not in the Village of Patchogue are in the Hamlet of Blue Point, the Hamlet of North Patchogue, the Hamlet of East Patchogue, the Hamlet of North Bellport and the Village of Bellport (and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Patchogue with a "Blue Point, NY 11715" mailing address).

Old 10-25-2010, 02:21 PM

265 posts, read 945,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
You want simple, huh?

If 71 Silver Street is within the borders of the Village of Patchogue, then 71 Silver Street is in Patchogue.

If 71 Silver Street is not within the borders of the Village of Patchogue, then 71 Silver Street is not in Patchogue.

So, is 71 Silver Street within or not within the borders of the Village of Patchogue?
No one cares. Stop spamming this forum with your worthless posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island