Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
My belief is that there should be a choice. People who want to spend more for organic food should be able to do so if that makes them feel like they are eating healthier. Regular food should be available to the people who don't really care about pesticides.

back on topic:
I have been to the Whole Foods in Jericho. Although they had a nice selection of foods and departments and were much larger than Trader Joe's, I found them to be extremely overpriced. I would shop there for a few items I can not get elsewhere. I would never do my entire food shopping there. Many items were double what I normally pay.
"Whole Paycheck" is an appropriate nickname!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:24 PM

280 posts, read 603,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Forget about eating, what about all the stuff you slather on your face - do you think all perfume is naturally made with real flowers? Come on now.
How about all those creams, gels and what have you that women put on their hair, face and some other unmentionable areas. Do you know Motrin is made with petrochemicals - what are you going to forgo it, if you have a bad headache or some other ailment? How about sunblock - if you don't see it, guess what? it's made of chemicals. Short of zinc oxide, you are slathering on chemical blocks. Yet, I don't see anyone dropping dead from putting on facial cream or hair gel.

If 2010 consumers are real smart - take a walk through your local Walgreens/Rite-Aid/CVS and see what's in their baskets.
Hence Whole Foods' body care items, and a myriad of other natural products readily available online

Remember that in the 18th century a rise in medical complications occurred—tooth decay, adverse skin conditions, and poisonings. These were often caused by the use of dangerous makeup containing lead, sulfur, arsenic and mercury. Let's not be too arrogant, there are plenty of improvements to be made in the food/cosmetic industry, even in 2010.

Sure you don't see anyone "dropping dead" from putting on a cream, but guess what, noone drops dead of a slowly developing cancer. It really doesn't hurt to be aware and knowledgeable of the latest research. It's usually heading in the right direction

Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Hence Whole Foods' body care items, and a myriad of other natural products readily available online

Remember that in the 18th century a rise in medical complications occurred—tooth decay, adverse skin conditions, and poisonings. These were often caused by the use of dangerous makeup containing lead, sulfur, arsenic and mercury. Let's not be too arrogant, there are plenty of improvements to be made in the food/cosmetic industry, even in 2010.

Sure you don't see anyone "dropping dead" from putting on a cream, but guess what, noone drops dead of a slowly developing cancer. It really doesn't hurt to be aware and knowledgeable of the latest research. It's usually heading in the right direction
Is it only me that finds it bizarre that you have to explain this to people?

I realize people get tired of information overload or getting beaten over the head by hippies telling them that they lead an unhealthy lifestyle, but it seems like some people are getting all of their information from reactionary right wing blogs or something. "Pesticides won't kill you." They are designed to kill life, there's no such thing as a poison that only effects one type of animal, it just so happens that a dose that's lethal to a potato bug doesn't kill us, but how does anyone know it doesn't cause some cancer you wouldn't have caught otherwise? It's a POISON.

That being said, I'll take my poison riddled produce at Meat Farms until the lines die down at Whole Foods.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:34 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
It must be tough going around life worrying that everything you eat/wear/breathe is going to eventually kill you....then a plane flies into your office window...and all that worry was for naught.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Is it only me that finds it bizarre that you have to explain this to people?

I realize people get tired of information overload or getting beaten over the head by hippies telling them that they lead an unhealthy lifestyle, but it seems like some people are getting all of their information from reactionary right wing blogs or something. "Pesticides won't kill you." They are designed to kill life, there's no such thing as a poison that only effects one type of animal, it just so happens that a dose that's lethal to a potato bug doesn't kill us, but how does anyone know it doesn't cause some cancer you wouldn't have caught otherwise? It's a POISON.

That being said, I'll take my poison riddled produce at Meat Farms until the lines die down at Whole Foods.
No.

Just because something doesn't kill or harm you right away, doesn't mean it never will.

Any dope who watches TV can see all the law firm ads for mesothelioma (sp?) and lung cancer that clearly say a person can be exposed to asbestos, yet the cancers don't show up until several decades later.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:41 PM

Gee...asbestos=broccoli. Now talk about a stretch.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
It must be tough going around life worrying that everything you eat/wear/breathe is going to eventually kill you....then a plane flies into your office window...and all that worry was for naught.

I worry, so I won't have to worry

Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 PM

mustn't be fun to be you.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM

LOL, to us enlightened beings there is no "me".

Bon appetit to whatever you eat!

Last edited by ResearchMom; 03-29-2010 at 01:27 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Gee...asbestos=broccoli. Now talk about a stretch.
How about the DDT sprayed on the broccoli?

Is today the day to be deliberately obtuse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island