Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 07:15 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,644,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I'm really struggling because 3V has such an amazing school district I would love for our kids to go there. Just like I would love for our kids to be just a short walk away from a beautiful downtown area.
Your kids are going to be spending much more time in school than they will be walking to any village anywhere.

My vote is for East Setauket - so, if you're concerned with a village area, get in your car and drive 7 minutes from East Setauket to Port Jefferson and walk around there. Maybe you'd even want to take the ferry to CT once in a while. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM

302 posts, read 590,750 times
E. Setauket hands down. Better school district, close to port jeff, stony brook university, and 2 bathrooms is really important for a family.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Kind of a strange topic. The two neighborhoods are quite different. Are you a North Shore kind of person or a South Shore kind of person?
Where do you work?
Is a small town feel important?
Taxes???

I'l take your SSN while you're at it.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:38 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Well, in 3 Village, there are those mushroom houses that are in kind of a crummy neighborhood. Of course, there is also Strong's Neck and Old Field.
In Babylon Village, there are some rundown places near the train station, but there are those beautful homes on the water. So it all depends on........................location, location, location.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Well, in 3 Village, there are those mushroom houses that are in kind of a crummy neighborhood. Of course, there is also Strong's Neck and Old Field.
In Babylon Village, there are some rundown places near the train station, but there are those beautful homes on the water. So it all depends on........................location, location, location.
Agreed, the neighborhoods off of Old Town road in E Setauket are pretty awful and unloved.

They were never good (drugs etc) but the years have not been kind at all
It seems like the Critter section and Arrowhead have been hit pretty hard with foreclosures, section 8s, and student rentals of late.

With that being said....if you can find a nice block on the cheap its still 3v schools and your investment should be pretty sound.
QOL may be another story.

I think for the same budget in 3v Id opt for So Setauket.

Crooks

Old 04-09-2010, 12:04 AM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Agreed, the neighborhoods off of Old Town road in E Setauket are pretty awful and unloved.

They were never good (drugs etc) but the years have not been kind at all
It seems like the Critter section and Arrowhead have been hit pretty hard with foreclosures, section 8s, and student rentals of late.

With that being said....if you can find a nice block on the cheap its still 3v schools and your investment should be pretty sound.
QOL may be another story.

I think for the same budget in 3v Id opt for So Setauket.

Crooks
Man, and that is the area the house is in too. Off Arrowhead.

I thought South Setauket is really Centereach?

Old 04-09-2010, 12:36 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
I'd argue that traffic is a bigger burden with the Setauket house (because you have 347 in the mix).

Otherwise all things being equal I'd take the 4/2.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Man, and that is the area the house is in too. Off Arrowhead.

I thought South Setauket is really Centereach?

It is ....but everyone calls it So Setauket and more importantly its in 3V.

No need to panic but Arrowhead is much nicer than the Critter/Mushroom house Section section.

E. Setauket, NY, 11733 - MLS #2266810 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Like I said if it on a nice block off Arrowhead(really size it up) youll be fine.

Crooks

Old 04-09-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
I'd argue that traffic is a bigger burden with the Setauket house (because you have 347 in the mix).

Otherwise all things being equal I'd take the 4/2.
I have to agree
347 is by far the worst highway in Suffolk.Gets even worse for Christmas.

Fortunately I can avoid it out here Alexei.

BV wins for accessibility.Im really thinking BV over Arrowhead E Setauket.
You can change anything on the house but where its at.
I dont think Id want to be the poor kid in 3v these days.

Bottom line if its 3v and its cheap....good chance its on a main road, near powerlines or in the 3vGhettos
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...3932980&ref=ts

All kidding aside, If youve have settled on Brookhaven you really should look into Mt Sinai, Miller Place or Rocky Point.
We jokingly call RP Far East Setauket (but never Mastic North) ; ) due to the large amount former 3v middle class expats out here.

Keep in mind Mt Sinai schools chart better than 3v these days and both MP and RP are fine too.
Good luck in your hunt.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 04-09-2010 at 07:30 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 AM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
what are critter/mushroom houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island