Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 02:29 PM

964 posts, read 2,463,132 times

Advertisements

Garmin,

That study is about as detailed as you are going to get. 14 yrs of info. is not easy to track down. I think it paints a pretty clear picture of which breeds like to tear little innocent children apart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Garmin,

That study is about as detailed as you are going to get. 14 yrs of info. is not easy to track down. I think it paints a pretty clear picture of which breeds like to tear little innocent children apart
If you think that is detailed you haven't done much research in your lifetime. That quote was extremely vague.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:32 PM

128 posts, read 340,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
If you think that is detailed you haven't done much research in your lifetime. That quote was extremely vague.

This is a message board, you want a PHd level thesis?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:37 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Guys...back off.

Dman has a good point.The question really should be why do we need vicious breed dogs in our homes?That tiny pocket of E Setauket has always been rough (drugs crime etc). I doubt this happened in a vacuum.Chances are the town and police did nothing and this guy took matters in his own hands.

Im sure it wasnt an isolated incident with this dog and from the look of its ears the owner wasnt going for kid friendly.

Its a different LI kids.

Crooks

Dman could have made his good point. He didn't.
There is way too much speculation in your post.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
This is a message board, you want a PHd level thesis?
no, but I'd like something a little better than a study that lumps several breeds into one category, then uses a generic term like pit bull (a term which includes breeds) to describe the animals. That quote does not give an overall picture; it gives a brief synopsis. To form an opinion based on quote like that shows a lack of judgement. I am seeing the same line of thinking that racists use to justify their ignorant hatred for blacks and illegal immigrants.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:42 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
ddddammmn Son... y'all gotcha some down home dawg shootin'?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:43 PM

Garmin,

No, what you want a study that shows Pit Bulls are harmless cuddly creatures. You will be looking a long long time for that

Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Garmin,

No, what you want a study that shows Pit Bulls are harmless cuddly creatures. You will be looking a long long time for that
I want a accurate study that gives the whole picture. The study quoted above is not accurate in any way as it lumps several breeds, and even mixes together.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM

Garmin,

Follow this link for a more detailed breakdown of that study:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
I did cable work for more than 12 years as a contractor and came into contact with almost every breed of dog from tiny to huge. In that time I came across Akita's, Mastiff's, Pitbull's, Shepherd's, and Doberman's (just to name a few). Not one time did I ever have an issue with any of them even though the Doberman's always freak me out a little; but a tiny, supposedly harmless chihuahua nipped me. Now when it comes to Pitbulls, I agree that they are very strong but it is all in the upbringing. A woman who ran a shelter out of her home in Ridge had tons of cats but a female pitbull was like a mom to them. Are they capable of doing major damage? Yes. Can I fault the guy for shooting the one going near the kids? I'm not sure. It's hard to say unless you were specifically in that situation. The owner should be blamed though for allowing the dog to wander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island