Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 AM

294 posts, read 610,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
But the budget increase of 3.21% can almost be completely contributed to inflation.

I agree that some of the increases can not be sustainable over the long haul. But what is stupid is the way it is being delt with. It is like people are just waking up and being told what there taxes are for the first time and their flipping out. Instead, smaller adjustments need to be made over the long term. They shouldnt have kept passing 3-4% budgets year after year, to then suddenly loose it and demand that they are being put thru the ringer. If they would have just gotten the budget increases down to 2-3% year after year, there would be no "sticker" shock this year. But that is not the way things go... people dont care until it strikes a nerve and then they go overboard trying to fix it. Its the whole reason the economy is where it is right now.
Fair enough; but again, the proposed GC tax levy increase (of roughly 4.5%) would've been 2x the rate of recent inflation numbers. That's just piling onto an already crumbling foundation.

I think quite a few people are waking up to a lot of this in recent years due to the current state of our economy and the ever increasing deficits that are being run at all levels of government. Something has to give sooner than later or the whole thing is going to collapse under its own weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:35 AM

280 posts, read 247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
Fair enough; but again, the proposed GC tax levy increase (of roughly 4.5%) would've been 2x the rate of recent inflation numbers. That's just piling onto an already crumbling foundation.

I think quite a few people are waking up to a lot of this in recent years due to the current state of our economy and the ever increasing deficits that are being run at all levels of government. Something has to give sooner than later or the whole thing is going to collapse under its own weight.
The budget increase can be almost completely attributed to inflation? Umm, I don't think so, it's attributed to the pension contribution and the increase in the costs of healthcare premiums (which was more than 2.5%).

Old 05-26-2010, 09:44 AM

294 posts, read 610,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
The budget increase can be almost completely attributed to inflation? Umm, I don't think so, it's attributed to the pension contribution and the increase in the costs of healthcare premiums (which was more than 2.5%).
Hey, don't quote me, quote wingnutks.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:18 AM

152 posts, read 548,022 times
Quote:
But the budget increase of 3.21% can almost be completely contributed to inflation.

Um, no it's almost entirely due to pension and benefits. You can read the GC's BOE meeting minutes - it's right there in black and white.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 AM

66 posts, read 230,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
Um, no it's almost entirely due to pension and benefits. You can read the GC's BOE meeting minutes - it's right there in black and white.
So your saying you want a 0% increase?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 AM

577 posts, read 979,740 times
Quote:
Hahahaha, riiiiiiight. I dont know a single teacher who only works 8 hours a day, or doesnt work summer. You actually think teachers can get all there "prep" in during there prep periods AND grade their papers/test/homeworks????
NO, they do some of it at home on Sunday. And when do you think they write curriculum for the next year???? OVER SUMMER.

If you actually think a decent teacher, let alone a good teacher, actually only works 160 days 8 hours a day... you are sorely mistaken. And no, I am not a teacher.
Teachers in the East Williston HS teach for 3:40 minutes a day. So they get about 4:20 per day to eat lunch, "prep", grade papers & take care of personal business, cell phone calls etc etc. If you're saying that the typical teacher takes work home, works on weekends and summer to prep, grade papers & homework then that teacher has no business being a teacher.

Out of curiosity how many teachers do you know personally to be in a position to make the statement you did?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
KB has a valid point. People are quick to blame teachers for the kids failures. It's a shared responsibility. It's a proven argument that parental involvement is a major playing factor in the sucess of a child's education.
Yet when a school district is well rated and the kids are doing great, TEACHERS are the ones who are quite quick to claim ALL THE CREDIT, aren't they? "Of course you must pay me $XXX,XXX per year and take care of me until I die after I retire! Why do you think your kids are doing so well? Why do you think your school district is so highly rated? It's because of ME, the teacher!"

Old 05-26-2010, 11:42 AM

66 posts, read 230,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Teachers in the East Williston HS teach for 3:40 minutes a day. So they get about 4:20 per day to eat lunch, "prep", grade papers & take care of personal business, cell phone calls etc etc. If you're saying that the typical teacher takes work home, works on weekends and summer to prep, grade papers & homework then that teacher has no business being a teacher.

Out of curiosity how many teachers do you know personally to be in a position to make the statement you did?
I know 7 teachers. One of them is what you described. The rest vary in degree, but they all work way harder than you give them credit for. And how the hell can you say they have no business being a teacher? Because they put in extra effort?

Are you the principle at East Williston or a teacher?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
^^^^^^ One could make a valid point that they have a much harder job teaching in that district than the more wealthy districts on Long Island.
Ya mean they should get combat pay?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
My school district's budget had a separate eight-figure line for STATE MANDATED increased pension contribution (to make up for the fact the markets weren't bearing an 8% return) and increased heath insurance premiums.

Of course, in the State's ultimate wisdom, they also decreased aid significantly to my school district.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island