Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:15 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,163 times

Advertisements

No one here knows the context of the OP's situation.
If there were now obvious QOL issues with the illegal apartment, I as most people would look the other way. Would I be in my rights to call the town? Yes.

Now lets say the situation was that the people living in this illegal apartment were derelicts, selling drugs out of the place and people were coming and going all day long. Things are going missing from my yard, and just a general ****tyness to the situation.
The owner knows whats going on just like everyone else in the immediate area. If they dont care, then I wouldnt care to talk to them, and thats when a call would go in. If Im paying $7,600 in taxes for just my family, its my right to call it in without trying to deal with a landlord who dont care.

Again, it all depends on the situation. My neighbor has an apartment on the back of his home that might be illegal. It has one 50+ y/o man living in it. I have no issues with this even if its not right.

My direct next door neighbor is an 86 y/o woman that had her good for nothing POS drug dealing/using 50 year old nephew living with her. (until, thank God he died) The situation I described above was what i dealt with, although THIS was not an illegal apartment situation. The old lady denied anything her nephew was doing, and this is where I got whoever I could involved. The SCPD made an arrest or two, but this guy was teflon coated. God took care of him though, but this is for another post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
No one here knows the context of the OP's situation.
If there were now obvious QOL issues with the illegal apartment, I as most people would look the other way. Would I be in my rights to call the town? Yes.

Now lets say the situation was that the people living in this illegal apartment were derelicts, selling drugs out of the place and people were coming and going all day long. Things are going missing from my yard, and just a general ****tyness to the situation.
The owner knows whats going on just like everyone else in the immediate area. If they dont care, then I wouldnt care to talk to them, and thats when a call would go in. If Im paying $7,600 in taxes for just my family, its my right to call it in without trying to deal with a landlord who dont care.

Again, it all depends on the situation. My neighbor has an apartment on the back of his home that might be illegal. It has one 50+ y/o man living in it. I have no issues with this even if its not right.

My direct next door neighbor is an 86 y/o woman that had her good for nothing POS drug dealing/using 50 year old nephew living with her. (until, thank God he died) The situation I described above was what i dealt with, although THIS was not an illegal apartment situation. The old lady denied anything her nephew was doing, and this is where I got whoever I could involved. The SCPD made an arrest or two, but this guy was teflon coated. God took care of him though, but this is for another post.
stay classy.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
stay classy.
I apologize. It was a miserable situation for my family at the time.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:25 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I apologize. It was a miserable situation for my family at the time.
Wishing someone actually died is pretty terrible, regardless of who it is.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Make sure you have your facts right before going to the town of Brookhaven. I will tell you my story.

I lived in the development for about 3 years. I do have a finished basement. My wonderful neighbour saw my employees moving furniture into my basement. Didnt realize they were my employees but if he had the guts he would have come to me and ask what I was doing. It would have stopped there.

Instead he went to the town of Brookhaven and filed a complaint. The town came here within 2 days to inspect the basement. It was so clear that there was nobody living there ; not one bed in sight. Nothing at all. But because it was finished by the previous owners without a co, it cost me a fortune to get it right. The only thing I really needed was to put a fire door around the boiler. But that meant getting someone in to do it. It had two exits, smoke alarms etc.
Now I need an electrical cert for it ; again, i didnt do this but it has caused so much grief to us.

Again, if only he had come to me first day and asked me what I was doing.

Now he wonders why I dont like him. He did call in another house who had a tenant and they had to do a lot of work also. I live her, live quietly, my kids are courteous to neighbours, dogs dont bark, we keep our house and outside clean and nice and mind our own business.

Its amazing that he could do this annonomously, but yet I suffer the grief because of his ignorance.
Permits are required for fininshed basements anyway so making it legal was something you were going to have to do at some point in time.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 PM

58 posts, read 165,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Please take pictures when you're done... scott needs a good beating based on his own internet tuff-guy postings.

He's a Typical ***** !!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:02 PM

58 posts, read 165,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
Does anyone have the exact office to call to report an illegal apartment in the town of Brookhaven?

How long does it usually take an inspector to get there?

thanks
Just call Scott the DOUCHE he will Rat them out for u

Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Wishing someone actually died is pretty terrible, regardless of who it is.
Lighten up...he did apologize.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
fan of avatar? You are obviously living in the fantasy world.:d

you and the boy should spoon.
lol!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,675 times
Default People with lots of time

Apparently this unemployment crisis had given us plenty of people with lots of time in their hands to rat on neighbors. If some of them at least had the mental ability to find a phone number by themselves at least they would have kept their jobs.

Now some of us the ones that are still active in the workplace and paying taxes so all these geniuses get their unemployment checks have to be dealing with inspectors leaving notes in the front doors and threatening to follow up summons even if is the owner himself living in the premises.

Does anyone know how all these rent permits work? Does the town disclose the names of the complaint filers and can they be fined for making the town officials waste their time if its an unfounded claim? Isnt it even unconstitutional for me having to support my innocence even if the town has no evidence whatsoever that anyone other than me lives in my house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island