Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,517,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The taxes in Lynbrook are insane, particularly the Village taxes ... many homes in Lynbrook are paying around $5,000 just for their Village taxes. I no longer recommend Lynbrook because the property taxes are becoming huge when contrasted with the value of most of the homes there.

I wasn't aware village taxes in Lynbrook were that high either. What's the reason for this? AFAIK, this is not one of the "larger" village governments that handles nearly all municipal services.

It varies greatly by property type, location, etc. (of course) - but I've never seen a home listed anywhere else on LI paying considerably more than $2,000 in village taxes....and I've only ever heard of massive estates in Gold Coast communities paying over $5k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,329,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

I wasn't aware village taxes in Lynbrook were that high either. What's the reason for this? AFAIK, this is not one of the "larger" village governments that handles nearly all municipal services.

It varies greatly by property type, location, etc. (of course) - but I've never seen a home listed anywhere else on LI paying considerably more than $2,000 in village taxes....and I've only ever heard of massive estates in Gold Coast communities paying over $5k.
I am not sure of the reason. They have their own police force but so do other villages on LI ...

MLS Number 2331500
LYNBROOK, NY 11563
Lynbrook School District
Taxes: $10,312
Village Taxes: $4,660.38

MLS Number 2319913
LYNBROOK, NY 11563
Malverne School District
Taxes: $11,194
Village Taxes: $5,483.00

More and more of the realtors are getting slick and not posting the Village taxes ...

Old 01-21-2011, 07:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,329,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

These days village taxes for the villages that have more services of their own are averaging in the $3K + level. Where I live it's generally under $2K, but, while we do have a lot of services handled by the village, we don't have our own PD, and don't have a huge payroll.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,216 times
geez...my daughter just needs a good town to live in with a EASY & SHORT commute to the city.....her favorite style home is a "tudor", her price range is $400-$450.....any suggestions???????????????

Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM

4 posts, read 10,374 times
I live in Floral Park.....YES, there is a large amount of residence with the "keeping up w/ the Jones" syndrome. I don't mind as long as I am the Jones!!!

Don't get me wrong....it is a fantastic place to live & raise a family when compared to Lynbrook, Elmont, Valley Stream and other lower cost areas!!! I guess you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Floral Highness; 06-21-2011 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,849 times
I grew up in Floral Park and lived there from the mid-sixties to the late eighties. I attended elementary school at Floral-Park Bellerose School, Junior High at Alva T Stanforth in Elmont and spent one year of High School at Floral Park Memorial and three years at Sewanhaka.

Maybe things have changed -- but when I lived there Floral Park was about as far from diversity as you can get. There were Black kids who lived accross the street from FPM but where bused four miles to Elmont Memorial so that they wouldn't contaminate FPM. There was a push to close Sewanhaka because it was too ethnic.

Move off LI -- I moved to Connecticut.

I get a lot more home and property for my money -- I can walk to the beach. You can buy a four bedroom home on half an acre for $300,000. Taxes are $5000 a year. They are that low because you don't have all the layers of goverment that NY does -- Village Government, Town Government, County Government. Each one with its hand out squeezing you dry. I live in Milford, CT. We've got great schools -- not nearly the level of blight that Western Nassau has and your not trapped on LI anymore.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:49 PM

12 posts, read 29,921 times
Yes things have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island