Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:50 AM

175 posts, read 638,237 times

Advertisements

That's really good to know. I worry about my daughter getting 'lost' in the system. Since she would be moving into another district, I think she'll be reevaluated and may not qualify this time around. Something else I need to look into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 12:16 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsalex View Post
That's really good to know. I worry about my daughter getting 'lost' in the system. Since she would be moving into another district, I think she'll be reevaluated and may not qualify this time around. Something else I need to look into.
Does she have an IEP? If she does, then I think her next school will have to honor it. Herricks is really good with this sort of thing. One of my sons is finishing up 4th grade now and has always gotten everything he needed with no hassles whatsoever (OT, PT, ST, etc.). I don't know anything about other school districts in the area but I can highly recommend Herricks if your daughter needs extra help.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:31 PM

63 posts, read 238,378 times
Quote:
Hi, could really use some advice. I currently live in Stewart Manor and want to move out of Elmont School District (not thrilled with high school). I'm considering Floral Park, New Hyde Park (Herricks School District) or western Garden City (more affordable). I love Floral Park, but I hear complaints from parents that there has been rezoning, still trying to understand what that means. Herricks seems well-regarded. Garden City seems exceptional, but a bit lily-white and snobbish (and one person said there was a drug problem at the high school apparently).

Any opinions appreciated, thanks.

Just a thought, (I could be wrong), but if you live in Stewart Manor..wouldn't your child attend Floral Park High? Remember for high school is Sewanhanka School district which incorporates Elmont Mem, Floral Park, New Hype Park, Carey and Sewanhaka. You should double check to see which high school is in your zone. I doubt, it would be Elmont, because you are closer to Sewanhaka and Floral Park. If this works out, you might not have to move. Good Luck.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
FP is the FP-Bellerose SD, whereas Stewart Manor is the Elmont SD. FP has FP Memorial, whereas SM has Elmont SD high schools. Very different. FP Memorial actually ranks very well, btw.

And there is no blight creeping eastward. FP Village has stayed EXACTLY the same as it was many years ago, mostly due to the taxes, and incorporated village status. There is definitely NOTHING creeping Eastward. Take a drive around FP and you will clearly see.

There is more "change" in NHP than FP Village, that's for sure.
Stewart manor is a part of the Elmont school (elementary) district. High schools are different. It's Sewanahaka School district which services five different areas (Elmont, Floral park, New Hyde park, Franklin square)
Sewanhaka High School District | "We will reach higher standards through shared responsibility for student achievement."

Old 06-08-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the responses. Stewart Manor is in the Elmont School District. I guess my dilemma is that I don't necessarily need a bigger/nicer house. I want the best school district for my kids. Having grown up in Bklyn, I know first-hand how important schools play as far as getting into top colleges, contacts for work, etc. I have spoken with a former neighbor now in Floral Park who pulled his oldest out of FP to go to Catholic school, which surprised me. A real estate agent told me that about 5 years ago Floral Park school district did experience some changes and some kids who were originally zoned for Sewanhaka now attend Floral Park Memorial. Maybe folks freak out at any type of diversity, don't know. I'm hoping for a school with top-notch music and science programs (which is why I was leaning towards Herricks).

Sewanhaka and Floral Park are good schools and are both located in Floral Park. You live closer to Sewanhaka (bear in mind also that the trade programs such as architecture, construction, computer tech etc are housed at Sewanhaka, so if your child attends sewanhaka, he/she wouldn't have to worry about being shuttled from home school to Sewanhaka)...

Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
OMG, $80K for calculators???!!! That's alot of calculators! They must be super-deluxe models...

Wow, my in-laws bought them out of pocket....gone are the days of the trig tables in the back of the text book... oh well it's the 21st century

Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM

I am zoned for Sewanhaka, which is okay, but not a great school. I know this from talking with parents with kids in the school now. I'm really drawn to Herricks, but not sure what I'll be able to afford 'up north'. Floral Park and western Garden City are appealing as well. I think Great Neck is out of my price range (based on the listings I previewed on MLS). Good to know about IEPs, my daughter has one and it's reassuring to think Herricks would be helpful with that.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:39 PM

22,674 posts, read 36,820,982 times
You can get into western GC for your price range but the house will need some work. House on Jefferson just recently sold for $540K - it needs major work, but Jefferson's a great block and it was the other end from the train tracks.

This house is on Princeton Street - needs updating but it's a great area.

MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens

Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Oh, I love Jefferson Street! It's nearby and not too jarring a transplant Folks in that area are more down-to-earth too than say, 'estates' GC (which I couldn't afford anyway). Thanks, please let me know if you hear of any others around there.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:10 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
I would STAY AWAY from Floral Park S.D. at all costs - especially in the High School years. It borders very closely on Floral Park Queens and Bellerose Queens. (Queens Village)
Some areas are pretty - like Bellerose Village - but there is no gate around that pretty little enclave and the kids mix with a real variety of individuals - many of them a bit rough around the edges.

I personally know someone who had a son FP Memorial and he made friends with all the wrong people.
At present he is not doing too well.

I would look into Herricks and Garden City. There is some kind of Long Island disease where districts that are thought of as well off are always accused of having massive drug problems.

I think it stems from jealousy. They say the same thing about Three Village District in Suffolk where my children attend.

Go for Garden City or Herricks.

Floral Park might be OK if you had younger children but if you are moving primarily to find a really stable high school I would avoid it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island