Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times

Advertisements

I'm 17. Which makes me apart of Generation Y. Now that Generation X is slowly starting to dissipate from the industry, isn't this the decade that my classmates (K-12), start to appear on the screen? I mean, the ones that are going to move LA and do that whole thing. I've been to many schools. I've moved to many different cities. I would think, out of all the schools I been to, there would have to be at least SOME that are going to become actors/actresses and that I will begin to see them sometime in this decade. Because if I am correct, at least 60% of Generation X knows someone from their school/college days that have become an actor/actress. So it is a stretch to say I will begin to see some of my own classmates on the screen sometime soon? I'm thinking late 2010s. Early 2020s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 03:22 PM

118 posts, read 365,687 times
I do think this will happen. You are at the age where, unless they are a child star (irrelevant anyway), they wouldn't have had their "break" yet. Most people get their first noticeable roles between 22 and 26 if they are going to be hot stuff.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Could be. The odds are not great that you will actually know anyone though, unless the have connections to the industry already. Often when I read about this girl or that guy who is the new "it" person, their past is peppered with ties to the industry in some way or another. But it happens. Look at the new series "Glee"...there is at least one guy who never did anything except on his high school stage before. Keep an eye out for more

Old 06-20-2010, 03:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,624,441 times
actually younger Millenials like you, who're still in hs and college, have a huge leg-up in getting exposure compared to ppl who were starting in the entertainment business 10 or 20 yrs ago. With interweb resources like MS/FB/twitter/youtube you can be an instant celebrity like (dare i say) Justin B, Shane Dawson or even Christopher Drew. Plus Gen Y have the sheer demographic numbers to support their own thru TV ratings or the box office and turn those with questionable talent (like Miley, Zac E or the JoBros) into bankable stars. Anyway back to your question of actually seeing someone from your class on screen: possible, as long as they are white or african-american. If you go to a hs that's predominantly Asian or Hispanic, the odds are smaller that Hollywood will come knocking. Those are just the plain simple facts as to how casting works & how even small bit parts are doled out.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM

118 posts, read 365,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
With interweb resources like MS/FB/twitter/youtube you can be an instant celebrity like (dare i say) Justin B, Shane Dawson or even Christopher Drew.
Aside from Justin Beiber (who is more than an internet celebrity at this point), I haven't even heard of those people. If being famous online is as far as the new generation's goals reach, I don't know what to say. Good luck. No one really cares about you.
Let's hope the "internet celebrity" doesn't replace plain and simple "celebrity"

Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
The young celebrities today i feel are less talented and much more into themselves then the celebrities of yesteryear. Justine bieber is a no talent kid that will fade into the sunset a few yrs from now. I think hes a girl (lesbian) posing as a guy & im not alone on this.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,375,200 times
Justin Bieber ?
Lol

Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM

150 posts, read 467,858 times
You've got to realize that the reason these young superstars like the Jonas Brothers and Justin B are making it big has nothing to do with the actual performer's skills, ambition, talent, or whatever. It has everything to do with the fact that they have adults that know how to MARKET a brand that are behind the scenes writing their songs, planning their publicity, and telling them exactly how to look, sing, dress, and act so as to best appeal to that oh-so-lucrative and imminently gullible teen crowd.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:55 PM

485 posts, read 1,704,369 times
Huh?? What do you mean that Gen X actors are "disspating" from the industry? That is a crazy statement. Reese Witherspoon and many other 'hot" actors and actresses are part of Gen X and I don't see them going anywhere any time soon. I honestly don't see how anyone can view actors in their 30s as old and "fading away." Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep are at the top of their games and they are 50-60 years old. I agree, these younger actors and musicians (with the exception of a very few) can't compare to classic performers. Back in the day the actors and musicians actually had talent - now it is all about "sex sells." I'm still young but I don't even watch t.v. or many new movies now - I find most of it trashy.

And WHY would you care about "starting to see some of your classmates on screen?" Very strange post indeed.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 PM

485 posts, read 1,704,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
The young celebrities today i feel are less talented and much more into themselves then the celebrities of yesteryear. Justine bieber is a no talent kid that will fade into the sunset a few yrs from now. I think hes a girl (lesbian) posing as a guy & im not alone on this.

Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles