Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 17,079 times

Advertisements

Dia Duit from Ireland

I was offered a part scholarship to study acting in an acting school that has one school in NY and the other in L.A and I dont know which one to accept?

I am a 27 year old irish actress and this is my opportunity to shine but some of my friends and fellow actors have recommended me to go to ny to do broadway or tv because i also sing and i have a demo and they think this would be a better way to break into the acting industry over there and get work and my equity card??

I dont drive though and I think for auditions L.A will be impossible to function in and will probably just become annoying without my own us driving licence and car however it would be the best place to break into the industry.

What would you recommend?

thanks a million

irish beauty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 09:06 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I don't know about the acting field, but I think that as an actor you'd have a very tough time not driving in LA (and I'm writing this as someone who didn't drive while living in LA). It's not just the auditions, as you'd probably be okay getting to and from those - it's that so much of the filming takes place in random places all over the LA area, and potentially inconvenient locations combined with the at-times odd (or at least unpredictable) would make it extremely difficult if you didn't have access to a car.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:33 PM

213 posts, read 744,575 times
If your going to be in plays go to New York. Otherwise you can find auditions for anything. Besides we have great weather & LA has lots to do. The filming business is so strong here I think you should really try it on here.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbeauty View Post
Dia Duit from Ireland

I was offered a part scholarship to study acting in an acting school that has one school in NY and the other in L.A and I dont know which one to accept?

I am a 27 year old irish actress and this is my opportunity to shine but some of my friends and fellow actors have recommended me to go to ny to do broadway or tv because i also sing and i have a demo and they think this would be a better way to break into the acting industry over there and get work and my equity card??

I dont drive though and I think for auditions L.A will be impossible to function in and will probably just become annoying without my own us driving licence and car however it would be the best place to break into the industry.

What would you recommend?

thanks a million

irish beauty
If I were you I would either learn to drive and get a car or consintrate on NYC>

Nita

Old 05-06-2009, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 13,296 times
Hi,

is the school the American Academy of Dramatic Arts?? If so def go to NY. I'm Irish and I studied there a few years ago and I would highly recommend that school over the LA campus. I'm living in LA right now and am debating moving back to NY. There are pros and cons to both but first of all don't come to la without planning to get a car. It is a very spread out city and very isolating even with a car so you would be lost here relying on public transport. also ny is a far nicer city, much more vibrant, exciting and fun.

NY is for theatre and some film/tv. LA is def the place for film/tv .

It's a very difficult thing to advise on because it is very much on personal opinion. I much prefer ny and think it is healthier because la is all about show business which gets a bit much sometimes.

You need to think about what it is you really want and where you want to live because nothing is guaranteed in this industry so you may as well live in the place that will make you most happy.

Hope this helps

Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
N. Y. C.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM

16 posts, read 53,132 times
L.a!!! New york sucks, and there attitudes are crazy

Old 05-08-2009, 07:13 PM

241 posts, read 939,626 times
yeah nyc for actor on stage and not on camera and if you have look modeling possibly.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
If your going to be in plays go to New York.
That was going to be my reply too. Stage: New York. Film or TV, Los Angeles (Hollywood).

Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 AM

10 posts, read 25,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That was going to be my reply too. Stage: New York. Film or TV, Los Angeles (Hollywood).
Yup and New York : walking or taking a cab. LA: Drive a car or have some friend that can drive you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles